The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » French postcards by Chris Philpott (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
PWRIS
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of PWRIS
New name "Stratford upon Avon Postcards" same effect 😊
Paul W. Randall
"Englishman in Germany"
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
At the start of this year I decided that from now on I would only perform my own effects.
Effects which I had created myself.....
I think I may make an exception for this.

Chris is one of the few people who, IMHO, has never put out anything less than a top notch effect.

steve
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, VanishingInc wrote:
French Postcards is such a worker! Out Of This World is such a classic in magic but this takes it to a new level!

Great job Chris!

-Kyle

IMO what makes this unique is the presentation. The trick is the same. Think of all the horror movies, especially Psycho or Jaws. Take away the sound and the fear factor diminishes. Chris has added the sound which is awesome.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Glad you found what you're after, Edith. And thank you so much for the kind words, Stephen and Steven!
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Just a thought. It might have been a good idea to provide both nude and non-nude postcards. I like this a lot, and will use it when appropriate.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Thanks, Nicholas! It certainly could have been done that way, but it would significantly push up the price. You could always block out the nipples with sharpie or black tape (something like I do on the cover).
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
= Sharpie pasties
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thematically, this seems pitch perfect just as it is. If it doesn't suit you, don't perform it. It is really that simple. I don't mean this harshly, just very sincerely.

As we have come to expect from Chris, he's brought a screenwriter's sensibilities to the table. In so doing, he's taken a classic and transformed it in keeping with his unique vision. This is risky in art and doesn't always work out but when it does, as in this case, the pay off can be awesome.

In asking my family for examples from literature and film of similarly successful transformations, the first one that came up was in the opposite direction, from an adult themed story to a children's classic. From Hamlet to The Lion King.

With French Postcards, Chris tells a compelling story in just a few sentences. Once interest has been generated, he then puts the participant INTO the tale. This is a brilliant combination and, along with being a retelling of a classic, is why the effect garners such strong reactions, IMHO.
tommyellison
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of tommyellison
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
= Sharpie pasties

I'm thinking a Red Sharpie would be interesting... ; )
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I'm liking this a lot. White star is good for the right occasions but this is just a perfect fit for anywhere. I thought Chris came across as convincing in the demo too. It looked to me just how the real thing it might look and that's not something I see that often.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Sharpie pasties. Saysold, I figured no one had ever written that phrase before on the internet... I was wrong.

Thank you so much, Bill! I agree with you -- telling an intriguing story then recreating it with the spectator is very powerful.

And thanks, Sean!

And here's more feedback on the effect (used with permission):

"I've just performed French Postcards for the first time, for a group of friends at a dinner party. It was a great success, despite my trepidation after only limited practice! One of my friends who loves magic, declared "your best trick ever" and another friend who can't stand being fooled grabbed the cards and searched high and low, front and back, for " how did he do that?" without being any the wiser, which only added to her frustration! I'm sure in the hands of experienced magicians this trick has a lot of potential but even in the hands of the weekend rank amateur like me, both the magicians and the audience can have a lot of fun. I can thoroughly recommend this trick to all."
-Peter French
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

I will be at Magic Live, putting in a little time at the Penguin booth demonstrating French Postcards (and 100th Monkey). Come on by and say hi!

And here's another testimonial (as always, used with permission):

"The best version of the best card effect ever!" -Rob Maron

Thanks, Rob!
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Ordered from Saturn Magic - This looks great
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Thanks, reignofsound -- hope you enjoy it!
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Here is a great quote:
"Love these! What a fun, creative spin on a classic. I look forward to seeing what other effects I can dress up with these beauties."
Charlie Frye

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
tommyellison
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of tommyellison
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2015, Chris Philpott wrote:
I will be at Magic Live, putting in a little time at the Penguin booth demonstrating French Postcards (and 100th Monkey). Come on by and say hi!

And here's another testimonial (as always, used with permission):

"The best version of the best card effect ever!" -Rob Maron

Thanks, Rob!

Enjoyed meeting you at Magic Live.

When I returned home I had a gig at a small dinner party where I performed close up magic. I decided to perform FPC for the first time in public and I have to say it commanded a killer response.

When the young lady who divined the erotic cards finished her selections and discovered she had nailed it, I looked at her husband and said, "You know what all this means don't you?" PAUSE - "It means she (wife) is extremely perceptive and you may get lucky tonight." He laughed and blurted out, "From your mouth to god's ear!"

Thanks again for your creation!

Tommy
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Wow, thanks for posting that, Titanas -- Charlie Frye is awesome!

Nice meeting you too, Tommy. Thanks for the kind words and sharing the story -- that made me laugh!

Another cool person I met at Magic Live was the great Simon Aronson, who had just bought French Postcards before the festival and gave me this quote on it: “French Postcards has a great hook, a justification, a clever prop, and an intriguing involvement of the spectator.” Thank you so much, Simon.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Chris may or may not have already posted this link in the earlier pages (I have not read them) but you can read my review here: http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/reviews/view/4853

If you can see yourself using the tasteful and culturally-neutral nude cards, this should be a no-brainer. Even with the tame nudity, you still need to exercise judgement on when to use these and when not to use them.

At the end of the day, this is a superb product!

By the way, I noticed that someone said their instruction pages were out of order, so I double checked my instructions to see if they had the same issue and they do not.

Someone also mentioned the point where the instructions mixed up which cards are on top. I must have automatically corrected it in my mind when I first read the instructions (because I know many handlings and methods for OOTW) because I missed that error. It does exist in my edition, but Chris is now aware of it and is going to fix it for future printings.
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Just wondering if anyone else has tried the built in solution for the performer to complete the task. I've used it a few times and am starting to think this might be my preferred presentation as a reading of the spectators mind.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Hey Doctor J -- thank you so much for the thorough and insightful review (and the five stars!)

Wardy, I suppose you can finish the task yourself but I prefer to give all the accolades to the volunteer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » French postcards by Chris Philpott (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL