The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » CHANGE over @ Ellusionist (278 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..33~34~35 [Next]
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Terrible vidio ,you do not get to see the effect,just a load of WOW and a good talk,that's all.I still use my wow 2.0 and it really fries folk just love it
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
See... I've always hated Flicker. It seems EXTREMELY obvious what is going on to the spectator. It certainly doesn't feel or look like 'real' magic.

I prefer this to Flicker any day.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I just received mine. Not too excited about it. I think Chessman was spot on. Nice thinking, but the problem is in the execution.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
957 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
When customers received CHANGE.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
Thanks for sharing the video Maddy. I agree, you come across as a lovely guy and the patter helped. I also have to agree with the criticisms about the color, and even in a low quality youtube vid filmed from a distance the card looked way too thick. My other criticism would be that you clearly were checking in your monitor to see that you had the right angles. In real life, of course, you wouldn't have this luxury. How about a more realistic video where you cover your monitor and try the same performance again? This might be a good way to prove your point that the angles can be dealt with once one knows how to handle the gimmick? My worry would be that the moment of the change is SO angle sensitive that one risks it happening prematurely. Add to this the other problems of light, spectators at different heights, angles, and distances, and regardless of your nice presentation, I just can't see how this is going to be truly practical for any more than one spectator in the perfect lighting and angle conditions.. which to my mind, renders it, basically, impractical!
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
Unfortunately, this is the first thing I have ever bought from Ellusionist. It will probably also be my last. If I was a magic dealer I would never take money from my customers in trade for something as bad as this. Live and learn I guess. May they enjoy the last dollar they will ever get from me.
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2015, Fin wrote:
Thanks for sharing the video Maddy. I agree, you come across as a lovely guy and the patter helped. I also have to agree with the criticisms about the color, and even in a low quality youtube vid filmed from a distance the card looked way too thick. My other criticism would be that you clearly were checking in your monitor to see that you had the right angles. In real life, of course, you wouldn't have this luxury. How about a more realistic video where you cover your monitor and try the same performance again? This might be a good way to prove your point that the angles can be dealt with once one knows how to handle the gimmick? My worry would be that the moment of the change is SO angle sensitive that one risks it happening prematurely. Add to this the other problems of light, spectators at different heights, angles, and distances, and regardless of your nice presentation, I just can't see how this is going to be truly practical for any more than one spectator in the perfect lighting and angle conditions.. which to my mind, renders it, basically, impractical!

The only reason I looked in the monitor was to check to be sure it was red. I set the angle before I looked at the monitor. Also, it is actually much more difficult doing this for a static camera that is facing completely flat. The angle is much more natural when performing for a person because when they look down at the card slightly, they are naturally at the right angle.

There isn't a pre-mature blue that could happen. I know the exact point that the color changes from my many rehearsals. Once again, with the camera the angle was slightly off since it was straight on so I had to check to be sure.

Also in the real world I use the line, "Let me know if you see him get any sadder." This prompts them to react when it turns blue which tells me the card is at the appropriate angle.
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I hate to throw a wet blanket on the performance video that was posted, but I think a two and a half minute build-up for a sketchy 2-second effect is the opposite of entertainment. Please don’t ever subject a real audience to that. I’ve seen John Carney perform about a dozen color changes using sleight-of-hand in the same amount of time, and it was an infinitely more magical experience.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, Merenkov wrote:
I hate to throw a wet blanket on the performance video that was posted, but I think a two and a half minute build-up for a sketchy 2-second effect is the opposite of entertainment. Please don’t ever subject a real audience to that. I’ve seen John Carney perform about a dozen color changes using sleight-of-hand in the same amount of time, and it was an infinitely more magical experience.

I 100% completely disagree with this.

I'd much rather build an effect up and make the one moment more amazing and meaningful than do 30 different tricks in a minute.
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Both are valid perspectives. Whichever we choose for each effect, is up to us to entertain, one way or the other. If we don't entertain, the magic doesn't matter.

If we don't do that, we may as well be doing this (pardon the selfie):

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, Chessmann wrote:
Both are valid perspectives. Whichever we choose for each effect, is up to us to entertain, one way or the other. If we don't entertain, the magic doesn't matter.

If we don't do that, we may as well be doing this (pardon the selfie):

Oh no here we go again... Lol!
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Please, no pets allowed
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Well...ok Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2015, TuneHV wrote:
The audio on his youtube video is not cut, it must be your computer

Same on my computer. Sound isn't cut but it is extremely low - to low to make out what he's saying. I even turned my system sound up; didn't help. Other YouTube vids sounded fine.

Jim
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2015, Chessmann wrote:

Brilliant. Smile
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
When I first opened this up, I actually thought there was a piece of cord stuck to the top of one of the cards - the illusion fooled my eye. Thing is, I can't get it to vanish. The color changer and the mirage card may have some potential in the right situation, though. The coin change looks great, technically. Wish the penny was shiny, though, to better match a Sudsbury penny, given the size and all.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
petegrimaud
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of petegrimaud
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, Lloyd Barnes wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
So wait... It's being shipped on the 28th of this month? That is a Sunday.

The 28th of NEXT MONTH is a Tuesday.

So this will be shipped out on Sunday this weekend? (Even though the post is closed) or it will be shipped out Tuesday a month from now? I was under the impression that it was this weekend.

There was a brief error on the site because of times zones and dates. It's now corrected. These will begin shipping Monday the 30th of this month. Basically, 3 days from now.

The last post submitted by Lloyd Barnes, wondering why been nothing since..? Happy to sell the product but not defend it..?
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, petegrimaud wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, Lloyd Barnes wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
So wait... It's being shipped on the 28th of this month? That is a Sunday.

The 28th of NEXT MONTH is a Tuesday.

So this will be shipped out on Sunday this weekend? (Even though the post is closed) or it will be shipped out Tuesday a month from now? I was under the impression that it was this weekend.

There was a brief error on the site because of times zones and dates. It's now corrected. These will begin shipping Monday the 30th of this month. Basically, 3 days from now.

The last post submitted by Lloyd Barnes, wondering why been nothing since..? Happy to sell the product but not defend it..?

Maybe he is just busy creating Volume 2 which will now change the way you pre-order magic. You don't. Lesson learned by all here.
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I can't recommend these at all. The angles are very finicky as discussed, and sure if you put the effort in and practice enough, there's a chance you might overcome that... but the real problem is they don't look like real cards. Since you know the tech used here, you also know it's made of plastic. It sticks out like a sore thumb and looks like a gimmicked prop instantly.

The coin gimmick was the only one that had a chance of being performable except for the fact that they used a half dollar sized penny. Out of respect for my audience's intelligence and me looking like an idiot, I can't tell them with a straight face I'm holding a penny when it's humongous. Why on earth didn't they just use an English penny or something closer in size to a half dollar? It's stuff like this that just makes this product feel so rushed.

We all know some tricks are hit and miss. This is a a giant miss, and the marketing is offensive as a consumer. Made me absolutely hate this product the way it was hyped and how we were lied to. Returning straight away to E and they likely lost a customer going forward.

The fact that Lloyd and the rest of the E guys vanished from this thread AFTER they got their sales is disturbing.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » CHANGE over @ Ellusionist (278 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..33~34~35 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL