The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Vanishing candle (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I cannot imagine what your problem is!

Merv Taylor was first, I believe, to produce a van. cndl. It was metal, like a Walsh cane, and EXPENSIVE for 1950. I was 18. I made one (a "converted" kid's toy.) All that was needed was to insert a birthday cake candle. I used it for several years!!! When it finally wore out, I bought an "Atomic Candle".

Then, Fantasio started producing his. I bought it, used it, and had NO problems. When I stopped using it, I sold it. (I STILL HAVE THE "ATOMIC", AND, IT'S STILL VERY USABLE.) I like it, 'cuz it doesn't need "refueling".

Fantasio "don't make no junk"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Ditto to what Dick said.

Just for fun, do you know what the "converted kid's toy" was that was sold as a Vanishing Candle?

When you unrolled the original Atomic Candles you would find the name of the toy printed inside. It was called a ZOOMERANG. This is the equivalent to what became known in later years as a CHINESE YO YO.

This was my first Professional magic trick and it fooled me immeasurably the first time I saw it demonstrated. For a whopping $2.50 you received the prop (Zoomerang) with a little holder for the red birthday candle that served as the wick glued inside AND an attractive candle holder that looked like crystal, but was really plastic.

Believe it or not the Atomic Candle actually appears more realistic (especially in close quarters) than the Fantasio products because the Atomic Candle is not as shiny as Fantasio's and the construction is less obvious.

Also, the Atomic Candle does not have the spring to it that Fantasio's (and Merv Taylor/Owens) has, but that's not necessary.

What an enjoyable trip down memory lane. My sincere thanks to the original poster and everyone else!

Julie
yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
21 Posts

Profile of yllawwally
Can any of these be modified to be used as a dancing cane as well?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2015, yllawwally wrote:
Can any of these be modified to be used as a dancing cane as well?

No, the design is wrong. Also if the candle is spun or waved, the flam will go out and also my create some flaming up.

It can be used as a Zombie candle floating with a cloth. It in the Fantasio Candle book.
Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
I have not looked at this topic in a while. There is a piece refered as "challanger gimmick " Im not sure what that is. I got the appearing /vanishing candle.
My youtube channel check it out its magic.
im not great but getting better.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvQIycva0rFOIdArln7lEg
Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
If someone is willing to help that would be nice.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2015, Gbhunter77 wrote:
I have not looked at this topic in a while. There is a piece refered as "challanger gimmick " Im not sure what that is. I got the appearing /vanishing candle.

It is in the Fantasio My Cane And Candles book. It is totally explained and how to make it. That gimmick is so you can hold the candle in the middle, proving it is an ordinary candle. Then you still have to hold the bottom of the candle to cause it to vanish. It could get in the way for some tricks like the Candle to silk appearance. It is okay for just vanishing the candle.

Just buy the book and you should be able to learn all about handling the Vanishing Candle.
Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
Ok sounds like a plan. Thank you.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Click on this link, scroll to the bottom of the page. The challenger Gimmick is in the picture attached to the candle.

http://www.fantasio.com/canes-candles.html
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
And for those unfamiliar with the Fantasio candle , here's how it looks as performed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXiU7cuov4

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Vanishing candle (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL