The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Good Expanded Shell (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
xav5000
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of xav5000
I'm sorry because Todd Lassen is a master....but BMC is now the new reference for me...
xav5000
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of xav5000
I know,Dave,Todd is a good friend of you,but trust me,try BMC one time.
It is awesome!
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1303 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The whole site is in French.
Does BMC have an english site?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I don't Think He Can beat The Deal I Have With Todd. Routines For Gaffs! Smile And I live 45 min's Away from Todd! Smile So if I think of some thing New I can just go up there!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
xav5000
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of xav5000
You can contact him in english.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
How do I get ahold of Lassen? I emailed him, posted on his blog, and tried calling him several times the last two days to get a quote, and have not heard anything. Yet I see him actively lost on his blog in the meantime. I was trying to see if he had an expanded walking liberty set available and could send it this week if I buy overnight delivery. Otherwise I'm considering a Dean set from schoolcraft. Unfortunately schoolcraft seem to be considerably more expensive than Lassen. I tried looking up unbiased reviews of both sellers here, but all I've found are threads of people fighting and saying negative things about one or the other.
RatdeLabo
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of RatdeLabo
Test BMC ;-)
floatingcardtrick
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of floatingcardtrick
Hands down Todd Lassen, however I was lucky enough to buy Dean Dill"s personal walking liberty set before he passed away. Lol he would always joke about wanting to buy it back if I was not using it. Man I miss that guy...
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I agree that the higher end shells such as Lassen and Schoolcraft are great. But if you are just starting to work with shells it is not necessary to buy such high end shells. I am still using my father's Johnson shells that he must have purchased 20 years ago. The quality and customer service at Johnson is great. When I am performing my spectators never can tell if I am using my Johnson or Schoolcraft shells.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4857 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hay JKH,

At the top Of Lassen's Blog There Is A thing that Said's Yell at me for not answering your email here.. You mite Try That!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2015, David Neighbors wrote:
Hay JKH,

At the top Of Lassen's Blog There Is A thing that Said's Yell at me for not answering your email here.. You mite Try That!

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I sent a word to him yesterday and he didn't answer, but yet continued to post updates to his front page. I needed my coins in a hurry, so I contacted Mr. Schoolcraft to order a set and he contacted me back immediately. I'm not trying to put Mr. Lassen down or compare him to his competition, but it looks like I know who I need to go to when I have a short order. That's not to say I won't give Mr. Lassen my business in the future, but I had to go to the supplier who was willing to assist me in a timely manner, or at least acknowledge my request.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
I went ahead and ordered an Eisenhower set from Lassen's commercial site anyways since it was affordable enough.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
No luck there, was out of stock and refunded me. :/ I'm going to give to give Mr. Kueppers a shot, and hopefully eventually get something from Lassen too. I'm trying to get a set from each of the three big names so I can evaluate for myself which works best for me. I feel like a lot of the threads I've read regarding each has been very biased with people either praising or bashing their work or customer service skills. I just want some good coin gaff sets.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
You say you need your coins "in a hurry"? Then you might as well get them from Johnson as they are a commercial producer and usually have stock on hand. You are generally - actually almost always - not going to get a custom coin or set from the very few custom creators; they are all pretty busy and there's almost always a lead time for their stuff.

As for you not getting replies from Todd Lassen, that's really weird. My emails are usually answered within a week, and every time I have called him I get him right then: no message, no waiting. He has answered the phone the last few times I called, which were all this year and late last year. The only time I called Jamie Schoolcraft was a few years ago, and IIRC I left a message for him and he called back pretty quick - same day or the next. Roy Kueppers? I think I called him two or three times and left messages each time. He called back in a reasonable amount of time. I don’t know why you seem to be having communication difficulties.

Jim
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
So far I've only had communication issues with one of the three. The only response I've received so far is the Paypal refund stating that he didn't have that coin in stock. I may have not waited long enough for a response because it hasn't quite been a full week yet.

As far as wanted the coins in a hurry, I ended up using a Johnson set that I already had and a C/S TUC from Tango. I was hoping to get a Walking Liberty set and in better quality for the environment. My Johnson coins aren't quite up to par with what I'd expect from a coin gaff, as all of the shells seem to be a bit loose on every coin I've tried them with. The TUC worked for me after a few fixes, but since I only had the C/S version, I'm limited in routines for it. I may be spoiled by the Ike and half dollar expanded shells I had a few years ago. They were almost perfect, but I've since lost them. I don't know who made them unfortunately, but I got them from eBay and I remember there was an engraving on both coins that said "PK".

I have a Dean's set of WL in the mail express priority so I should see it either tonight or tomorrow, and a couple nesting sets from Roy Kueppers that should hopefully be sent out by the end of the week. I will give Lassen's coins a try probably after next paycheck if I get a response.
Koheleth
View Profile
New user
New York
11 Posts

Profile of Koheleth
IF this is your first shell you have a lot of options and your particular application should drive your purchase. On the high end you have Lassen, Kuepper and Schoolcraft. Johnson and Tango are middle of the road, with my preference being Johnson. There are also cheap shells that are not made from actual coins available on ebay but those you should steer clear of. They don't even look like real coins. Kuepper also has an inexpensive 3-coin nest where you get an expanded as well as a regular sized shell with a shaved down and re-milled insert. Worth your time for sure. A good hopping half set is a fine way to go too, for about $60 retail you will get an expanded half, expanded English penny, and a regular English shell with a sun and moon insert. Shells are my favorite gimmick, PM me if you have specific questions.
Koheleth
View Profile
New user
New York
11 Posts

Profile of Koheleth
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2015, jkh0208 wrote:
I may be spoiled by the Ike and half dollar expanded shells I had a few years ago. They were almost perfect, but I've since lost them. I don't know who made them unfortunately, but I got them from eBay and I remember there was an engraving on both coins that said "PK".

I have a Dean's set of WL in the mail express priority so I should see it either tonight or tomorrow, and a couple nesting sets from Roy Kueppers that should hopefully be sent out by the end of the week. I will give Lassen's coins a try probably after next paycheck if I get a response.

The "PK" may be an "RK" for Roy Kuepper. I have an Ike from him that is top notch. Lassen has also not returned any of the calls or emails I have sent him regarding a barber half shell.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2015, Koheleth wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2015, jkh0208 wrote:
I may be spoiled by the Ike and half dollar expanded shells I had a few years ago. They were almost perfect, but I've since lost them. I don't know who made them unfortunately, but I got them from eBay and I remember there was an engraving on both coins that said "PK".

The "PK" may be an "RK" for Roy Kuepper. I have an Ike from him that is top notch. Lassen has also not returned any of the calls or emails I have sent him regarding a barber half shell.

Thanks for the response. I have a Johnson HH set, but unfortunately the expanded half dollar that accompanied is a tails and is a bit loose. The shell I had from ebay may have said "RK", it's been quite a few years since I lost it, but it was pretty good. I really hope I hear back from Lassen because I want to try his coins out as well. My Dean's WL set should be coming in today or tomorrow, so I'll follow up with a review. My Kueppers sets (2 sets, 3 coin nesting non-magnetic Half and Ike) will hopefully arrive sometime in the next week or so depending on the shipping service he uses, so I'll post a review for those too.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
My Dean's set came in on Thursday, and it's great! I'd say it's as good if not better than those expanded shells I used to have. I tried a few routines out for my wife, and even with her familiarity with gaffed coins, she wasn't able to tell there was a [ in play. The only downsides I found are the edges are a bit more rounded than a standard WL, but I've yet to come across anyone who knows what a WL list supposed to look like. The other minor issue is that while the edge is completely covered for the most part, one edge of the [ is a little higher, maybe a mm or so, so that edge shows a little of the coin. But that shouldn't be an issue since I don't typically show the edges during a closeup routine, and if I do, I'm cognizant of which edge of the coin I'm showing. The [ is an absolute perfect fit on all four coins, and when viewed from the bottom, you have to really be looking close to even see there is a [. When viewing from the top, I don't see any distortion of the face. I love the set so far, so I went ahead and ordered a WL 3CM to go along with it. I was considering trying Lassen again and ordering his Triple Threat set, but I was a bit put off of his berading insults on the product description where he mentions the 3CM set. I'm still a bit new to the coin gaff scene in regards to the big three, but is there some sort of bitter rivalry going on between Mr. Schoolcraft and Mr. Lassen? Seeing that kind of stuff mentioned publicly on a consumer advertisement puts me in an awkward vibe as a customer.

On a other note, I ordered a couple Tango TUCs, the 1964 Kennedy and WL. I already had the C/S one, but had a few issues with it that have since been fixed with the help of Mr. Tango and Funsway. The 1964 Kennedy one is perfect, but I have to be careful about flashing the edge of the leaf because of how thin it is. Otherwise it's a versitile gimmick and I enjoy it. My WL TUC should arrive today.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2078 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2015, jkh0208 wrote:
I was considering trying Lassen again and ordering his Triple Threat set, but I was a bit put off of his berading insults on the product description where he mentions the 3CM set. I'm still a bit new to the coin gaff scene in regards to the big three, but is there some sort of bitter rivalry going on between Mr. Schoolcraft and Mr. Lassen? Seeing that kind of stuff mentioned publicly on a consumer advertisement puts me in an awkward vibe as a customer.

Research the history and you'll understand.
You may not agree with how he publicly states his opinion, but you'll know why he feels the way he does. His work is in high enough demand that he doesn't need your business (or mine) so he has the freedom to speak his mind, and he clearly takes advantage of that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Good Expanded Shell (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL