The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Good Expanded Shell (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ficklestheclown
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of ficklestheclown
Others may have said it already but take in consideration if you want a heads or tales shell. I have both and both are great.

I remember others mentioning, and I agree that the tales shell is more forgiving when it is expanded. So if you want a heads expanded shell, be sure to get the best quality you can. I actually have a heads coin from Kueppers and its great! I do not remember the tales coin though, I am pretty sure I got it with a johnson hopping halves... Also with a tales coin you do not have to worry about matching dates if you ever use it for a trick where that would ever matter.

With that in mind, I also recommend getting a hopping halves set if you can, then you get the expanded shell, and you also get another coin with silver/copper and a normal shell which is usually near perfect close up and you get another expanded shell for it! It's a total deal usually.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2015, jkh0208 wrote:
I was considering trying Lassen again and ordering his Triple Threat set, but I was a bit put off of his berading insults on the product description where he mentions the 3CM set. I'm still a bit new to the coin gaff scene in regards to the big three, but is there some sort of bitter rivalry going on between Mr. Schoolcraft and Mr. Lassen? Seeing that kind of stuff mentioned publicly on a consumer advertisement puts me in an awkward vibe as a customer.

Research the history and you'll understand.
You may not agree with how he publicly states his opinion, but you'll know why he feels the way he does. His work is in high enough demand that he doesn't need your business (or mine) so he has the freedom to speak his mind, and he clearly takes advantage of that.

I looked a bit through the forums and saw a two sided war, but both sides are telling different stories, so I don't know which side to believe. It just seems unprofessional. I don't see Apple and Microsoft saying such negative things about each other.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, jkh0208 wrote:

I looked a bit through the forums and saw a two sided war, but both sides are telling different stories, so I don't know which side to believe. It just seems unprofessional. I don't see Apple and Microsoft saying such negative things about each other.

Apples and oranges. There's a big difference between two multi-billion corporations and two one-man operations where they may feel their livelihoods are on the line, or that their creative efforts have been ripped off.
It gets personal real quick when you think someone is taking bread off your table.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, jkh0208 wrote:

Apples and oranges. There's a big difference between two multi-billion corporations and two one-man operations where they may feel their livelihoods are on the line, or that their creative efforts have been ripped off.
It gets personal real quick when you think someone is taking bread off your table.

I understand a little better after I read some more articles. I emailed Todd again yesterday to inquire about a Franklin expanded set, so hopefully I can get a set from him soon to try out.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
This is all quite interesting. I am just getting into coin work. I have Lethal Tender, which I like. But mostly I do historical reenactment, especially California gold rush (1850s and 60s). I would like to replace the half dollar with something period, e.g. English penny. The trick has half dollar, [ and Chinese coin.

The actual country of the coin doesn't matter that much. People were arriving from all over the world and it took a while to build the S.F. mint. Can anyone help me?

I am a poor, retired hobby magician. Don't tell me that I won't regret buying top of the line. I would.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Gomerel,

I'm not sure which manufacturer made your Lethal Tender, but the original doesn’t use a shell. Instead it uses another more devious gaff invented by the creator of Lethal Tender, Steve Dusheck. The set was originally made by Sterling Magic, but they have since been acquired by Royal Magic. Royal now sells both their own version, which does use a shell, and the original Sterling Magic version, which does not.

If you decide to stick with the shell then I imagine you could use any coin where you have a matching shell. However I doubt you would be able to find the gaff used in the original set in any other denomination of coin.

Thanks!

Jim
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Yes, I think it is Royal. I find lots of English penny shells but I need Victorian. Or something else I can match with a Chinese coin.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
My 3CM came in, along with my Roy Kueppers nested half dollar and Ike. While I like the 3CM, I wish the magnets were maybe a tad stronger. They aren't strong enough to keep them nested if I hold the either [ by the edges, so I aassume the intent of the m*****s is to keep them together better when tossing it from hand to hand. I was actually pretty impressed with the Roy Kueppers nested coins. They aren't fully observable from the side, but when completely unnested, the pieces look about the same sitting next to each other, including the sides. This is one benefit of the RK nested sets over the 3CM, but the 3CM seems to be quiter when nesting/unnesting and when tossing around. This is probably due to the teflon tape inside. They both have their merits, and I don't regret purchasing either one. I like that the RK ones are a lot more affordable, and seem to be much better quality than Johnson. I like how quite the 3CM set is, and how well my dean's set coins fit inside the inner [ of it. I'm still waiting on a response from Mr. Lassen so I can try a set of his coins out. I really would like to try them.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
The 3CM behaves as you described intentionally by design.
That enables the set to be used for a lot of standard moves where you want/need the inner part to fall out, or (as with some matrix moves) allow the topmost shell to be removed.
The magnetism is there to allow the nested set to be tossed (and _CAREFULLY_ flipped) without flying apart.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
The 3CM behaves as you described intentionally by design.
That enables the set to be used for a lot of standard moves where you want/need the inner part to fall out, or (as with some matrix moves) allow the topmost shell to be removed.
The magnetism is there to allow the nested set to be tossed (and _CAREFULLY_ flipped) without flying apart.

Thanks for the response. That's a relief, I wanted to make sure it was functioning properly. I really like that the outer [ can be used with a regular WL, so that's a bonus. As far as my RK sets, my kids got ahold of and lost two of the pieces to my half dollar nesting coin set. Smile
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
Still haven't gotten a reply from Mr. Lassen on email, his blog, or phone. I've been trying since 5 October. Is there an easier way to get ahold of him?
weeky91
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of weeky91
I guess calling him is the best option. Just talked to him yesterday
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
Just got an email from him! Hopefully can get an expanded set from him soon!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Seems too that the first reply is the most difficult. Once you have established a relationship with Todd he will usually reply within 24 hours.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, weeky91 wrote:
I guess calling him is the best option. Just talked to him yesterday

Yes, it is.
Unless he's on away on vacation or something (check his blog, he usually announces such things), he answers his phone during the day.
Just keep in mind he's on Mountain time in Colorado.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
The very best she'll I have is the "super dish" she'll by Bob Swadling, (put out by Mark Mason and JB Magic). Unparalleled.
I have shells by Johnson, Schoolcraft and Kueppers, as well - including unexpanded shells. And Bob's is the absolute best.
Second only to Bob's shell, are the ones from Schoolcraft Precision. I've seen Lassen shells - my old roommate had a couple and I have a few friends that use them, exclusively. Gotta say...I haven't been impressed. But if you're going to buy an expanded she'll, get one by Seadling, Schoolcraft or even Lassen or Johnson. But do yourself a favor and avoid having to deal with Roy Kueppers. You'll get something as good or better from the other guys and you won't have to worry about having to wait a lifetime or fight to get your product.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Best shell I own is a Barber half dollar expanded shell from Todd Lassen. Indistinguishable from the surrounding coins. I didn't think a shell could be so unnoticeable.

Jim
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Roy had my flipper and csb to my house in less than a week. Pretty good stuff.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
A year and a half since my last post on this matter, and still no luck getting a response from Mr. Lassen. I think it's time for me to give up.
jkh0208
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of jkh0208
Is Mr. Lassen still in business? I've been trying since 2015 to contact him to purchase one of his sets and have yet to get a response.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Good Expanded Shell (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL