The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are your favorite card effects and why? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I make topics like this pretty often but I really enjoy changing the question a bit and getting different answers.

I'd like to ask a couple of your favorite effects and why?

Preferably I'd like to exclude tricks like the Ambitious Card, Chicago Opener, and regular Triumphs because I think just about all of us love them. I think a good card trick should be SIMPLE, not have a ton of counting (unless its entertaining), be deceptive, and practical. Most of us don't carry around a close-up mat, so something that can be done in the hands primarily and utilizing maybe a small portion of a table (not a mat). I'd like to hear some older plots that I can research and get some ideas from.

Lately, one of my favorite effects is "Signature Effect" by Darwin Ortiz. Though similar in method to the Chicago Opener, the presentation makes it appear to be completely different and it requires no extra cards. It's extremely powerful and reactions are always great. Jason Ladanye has a wonderful performance of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q5jFyFC0oc

Darwin Ortiz's "Bold Fusion" is also an excellent anniversary waltz type effect.

So what tricks have you been doing lately?
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2015, Zephury wrote:
I make topics like this pretty often but I really enjoy changing the question a bit and getting different answers.

I'd like to ask a couple of your favorite effects and why?

Preferably I'd like to exclude tricks like the Ambitious Card, Chicago Opener, and regular Triumphs because I think just about all of us love them. I think a good card trick should be SIMPLE, not have a ton of counting (unless its entertaining), be deceptive, and practical. Most of us don't carry around a close-up mat, so something that can be done in the hands primarily and utilizing maybe a small portion of a table (not a mat). I'd like to hear some older plots that I can research and get some ideas from.

Lately, one of my favorite effects is "Signature Effect" by Darwin Ortiz. Though similar in method to the Chicago Opener, the presentation makes it appear to be completely different and it requires no extra cards. It's extremely powerful and reactions are always great. Jason Ladanye has a wonderful performance of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q5jFyFC0oc

Darwin Ortiz's "Bold Fusion" is also an excellent anniversary waltz type effect.

So what tricks have you been doing lately?

I love threads like this as they provide a means for us to explore the treasures we have and may not be aware of.

Some of my favorites that have been mainstays for quite awhile include:

Ambitious Classic by Larry Jennings. (It's NOT a conventional ACR). This for me at least is the quintessential from the deck packet routine. It is HIGHLY visual and truly diabolical in structure.

Always Cut the Cards by Larry Jennings. This routine by the great master is a jaw dropping routine that works SO beautifully on its own as a quickie but is especially powerful in a longer gambling themed set. Try it and you know what I mean.

The Devilish Miracle by Ed Marlo. A whole book was written about this classic and there is nothing more I can add that Jon Racherbaumer hasn't already written. (Who can?).

Master of Aces by John Graham. This little gem from Apocalypse is a BRILLIANT four ace production. I have used it as a basis for a longer routine that I'll be featuring in my upcoming e-book.

Magician vs. Gambler by Harry Lorayne. The best of both worlds and the whole idea is so very compelling because we are introducing our audiences to a wonderful conceit, namely, a battle between people who can do things with cards that others cannot.

Poor Man's Monte by Richard Vollmer. Richard Vollmer is a genius. I was introduced to this French magician's genius in the pages of Apocalypse. Poor Man's Monte is like a trip if you get my drift for spectators.

Cheap Labour by David Acer. It's HIGHLY visual, very unusual and MUCH funnier than my posts. Smile

The Psychotronic Card by Darwin Ortiz. Is there a such thing as a bad routine from Darwin Ortiz? NOPE. What I love about The Psychotronic Card in addition to how hard it hits is that is exemplifies Darwin Ortiz's important distinction between "easy" and "simple."

Modern Jazz Aces by Darwin Ortiz. I love the Jazz Aces plot and kudos to the late great Peter Kane for creating it. I've read and tried many variants and frankly, I have few that approach the elegance of Mr. Ortiz's approach. Peter Marshall's Rock and Roll Aces is a VERY close second and Aldo Colombini's Italian Serenade deserves mention as well.

The Sting by Walt Maddison. This is an Oil and Water type of effect that kicks the speccys in their uppers. Smile

Reswindled by Caleb Wiles. Caleb took a great Paul Harris routine (Reset) and made it SO good that Harris himself prefers it!

Either/Or by John Guastaferro. It's a GREAT routine with built in entertainment value PLUS it solves one of the most vexing issues in card magic, i.e, how to ready a significant set up for a following routine. Sure, there is nothing wrong with a cull but this adds something more and gives one the freedom to cull at one point in the set and do this in another. Is the John G's strongest routine? No, but, for its utility and sheer entertainment value, it is a gem.

Up The Ante by Martin Smyth. I haven't heard for my high flying friend in a while (he is a commercial airline pilot) but this routine is absolutely brilliant. It approaches the impossibility of OOTW with the added fun of an increasing gamble.

Impromptu OOTW by Harry Lorayne. No set ups, the speccy shuffles the pack and it freaks out New Age crystal folk LOL

Synchronous by T.A. Waters. If you own Mind, Myth, and Magick, just learn it. Smile

Riding the Wave by Danny Korem. Zephury, this routine is what my friends call a mind **** routine. It was published in Jon Racherbaumer's Kabbala. The effect FAR outweighs the minimum effort in method.

Fantastic Ace Assembly by Harry Lorayne. Aldo Colombini used to remark that he collected Oil and Water routines. I collect Ace Assemblies and there are MANY great ones. Check out Paul Lelekis' book for a ton of excellent ones. But, for all of those, Harry Lorayne's is an absolute killer and a sheer joy to perform

Vernon's Aces by Harry Lorayne. This routine makes people think I am better with cards than I actually am Smile

Clock O' Doom (for one person) and Timely Departure (for three people) by John Bannon. Card(s) are thought of, vanish, and reappear. But they are MUCH better than that.

The Ace-Man Cometh by John Bannon. You want a great and funny opener that establishes your cred as a magician with a bewildering series of transformations? This one is your huckleberry. (Yes, I recently watched Tombstone).

Okay, that's enough. Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Homage to HOming by JOhn Guastaferro. No table required, can use a borrowed deck. Lots of magic in one short routine.

Since you like Signature Effect, like I do, you may also like Jon Racherbaumer's HOneymoon Fusion in Card Magic USA. (It's not a double b'd fusion type thing).
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Youre (the) signed card - brother john hamman

Great effect. Illogical. And will fry their brain.
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
The Invisible Card by Paul Cummins from his first FASIDU books. Lots of funny by-play, very strong effect with multiple magic moments.
Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
190 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
Thanks to everyone for listing their favorites. Let's hope more members will join.

@ Zephury The way I see it. There are three reasons why a card trick does have impact. They are mystery, fun and appreciation for your display of skill. Skill here not only refers to your dexterity with the cards but also to your (apparent) display of improvisation. Of course the fun can also be added to effects where the main impact comes from either the mystery or the demonstration of skill. An example where the impact only comes from the fun is Guaranteed Future from Karrel Fox, which I love to perform by the way. Another one of my favorites is Roger Crosthwaite's - Think-a-card. With this one the impact purely comes from the mystery involved. Having looked at a lot of Think-a-card tricks, to my mind there is not one that beats the one from Roger Crosthwaite. Although I guess that the method is much older. Of course I have more favorites, but it is no use listing them here as they are my versions of several effects. In general I feel comfortable presenting hard-hitting mysteries with a funny presentation. Another one from my repetoire, that can be found in the literature, is the Coney Island Caper from Terry Lagerould. See Pasteboard Presentations 1. I should add that I changed the handling and presentation quite a bit, but kept the idea: "if this isn't the case than I'll eat your card."

@ Vlad. You mention an upcoming e-book from you. Since I am very much interested, I look forward to the publication. Any notion when?
We did have plans to meet in May, let's see if we can make it in July.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2015, ferrymagic wrote:
Thanks to everyone for listing their favorites. Let's hope more members will join.

@ Zephury The way I see it. There are three reasons why a card trick does have impact. They are mystery, fun and appreciation for your display of skill. Skill here not only refers to your dexterity with the cards but also to your (apparent) display of improvisation. Of course the fun can also be added to effects where the main impact comes from either the mystery or the demonstration of skill. An example where the impact only comes from the fun is Guaranteed Future from Karrel Fox, which I love to perform by the way. Another one of my favorites is Roger Crosthwaite's - Think-a-card. With this one the impact purely comes from the mystery involved. Having looked at a lot of Think-a-card tricks, to my mind there is not one that beats the one from Roger Crosthwaite. Although I guess that the method is much older. Of course I have more favorites, but it is no use listing them here as they are my versions of several effects. In general I feel comfortable presenting hard-hitting mysteries with a funny presentation. Another one from my repetoire, that can be found in the literature, is the Coney Island Caper from Terry Lagerould. See Pasteboard Presentations 1. I should add that I changed the handling and presentation quite a bit, but kept the idea: "if this isn't the case than I'll eat your card."

@ Vlad. You mention an upcoming e-book from you. Since I am very much interested, I look forward to the publication. Any notion when?
We did have plans to meet in May, let's see if we can make it in July.

I too hope that July works better for us! As for the e-book,it is on hold until I can purchase Bob Farmer's book on the Ten Card Poker Deal.
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
324 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
Subltle Sandwich from Chris Power's BMS lecture notes.--simple, direct, use any deck, and amazing.
Rosini's double reverse, it is in one of Eugene Burger's books. I have added a sleight from Ken Krenzel to make it impromptu.
Twisting the Aces-- Dai Vernon. Same as above.
Jumping Gemini from Darwin Ortiz. Same

enorailucep
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Repeated card to pocket, with "51 cards to pocket" ending. I don't know who came up with the effect, and I use my own sequence of moves, subtleties, and psychology... I love this trick. It's my go-to effect for street magic: first, the impossible happens, then, I catch you again, and finally, the unbelievable happens. No table, done surrounded, impromptu.

Twisting the aces (Thomas Hierling's): strong, visual, impromptu, no table, done surrounded, and I have a patter that keeps the audience involved. A good trick that's not a "pick a card one".

P!
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Last Wednesday night I performed Bannon's Triumph for our Magic Club. It went over VERY well. So now it's one of my favorite card effects!

Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
lumagic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of lumagic
Today my best card effect is ambitious card routin combined with Mullica wallet and Paragon 3D ending. First, I put my wallet on the table and the transparent box with card inside, spectator selects a card and signs it, then I do a regular AC routine, after that the card appeared in wallet that was lying on the table, at the end the card comeback into the deck and appears in a transparent box that was on the table from the beginning. that's multiple card in impossible location routine.
egmorrell
View Profile
New user
Bristol, TN
29 Posts

Profile of egmorrell
I've been doing Adam Wilber's "Backup Plan" all the time lately. It has become on of my openers, and absolute favorite routines. It's so fun to perform, it gets great reactions, and the routine is just brilliant. Other than that I have stuck with my ambitious card, Chicago opener, and sandwich routines, but everyone loves those so like you suggested, I won't touch on those Smile
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
When looking for material, look for the authors who use this their stuff to make their livings. In this regard, I've benefited from guys like Paul Cummins, Gary Kurtz, Roberto Giobbi, Doug Conn, Terry LaGerould, David Acer. There's a mass of others I could list, but I think you will benefit more from getting your hands on their materials than reading what others are doing. Not saying, there's no value in this, but you'll find stuff that's more YOU than reading random selections.

If I were to choose one source for a restuarant/strolling performer: FASDIU- Paul Cummins
jmvives
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of jmvives
It's depend of the situation and your position (stand-up, sitting, parlour, close-up, stage, in a bar, in the street, in a theater, in a party, in a friend's home, etc). Every of this situations are very different and are very different convenient tricks. Doing a trick in a inadecuate situation can be a disaster.
"Make your magic meaningful" Max Maven
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Some of favorite effects are ones I can tell a funny story with. I like to make people laugh.

So I like Color Monte because I tell it funny.

Sidewalk Shuffle because I've created my own story that goes along with it.

I should have done it myself- Bill Malone's handling

Simple things like card to forehead and gags like the old "this card has no markings on the front or back," make people laugh. And the 3 1/2 of spades.

For just magical amazement factor I like ACR to wallet.

Cutting Tens by David Solomon- Bill Malone On The Loose

Jumbo Coincidence and Contact Colors by Aldo Colombini

Really! by Harry Lorayne

That's just a few.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Chameleon Sandwich - Doug Conn
Dunbury Sandwich - David Solomon
Have Another Sandwich - Marlo
Bluff Sandwich - Marlo
Technicolor Find - Steve Reynolds
Omni Twist - Marlo
Double Decker Triumph - Trini Montes/Dave Miller
Overcast - Trini Montes
Cardician Makes Good - Marlo
Biddling Brown in the Round - Marlo
Color Changing Deck - Marlo

Best,
Trini
Trini Montes
Snoogansgt
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Snoogansgt
Currently working on The Travelers and the Invisible Palm routine. I am really digging 4 Ace packet routines at the moment.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
This is just a suggestion....

The, 'why', is what makes a thread like this interesting. If contributors aren't going to bother to say why a particular effect is their favourite (besides 'because it goes well') we might as well just list the contents of a few good card magic books.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I'm moving towards twisting plots into mentalism-effects;
OOTW, Gemini Twins etc.

Asaka
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Asaka
Out of the world
From the spectator's point of view, the trick is done by themselves
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are your favorite card effects and why? (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL