The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are your favorite card effects and why? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1288 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2020, EndersGame wrote:
I do know that "Two Up and One Down" in Paul's video 10X10 - currently a freebie from Vanishing Inc Magic, as described here.

But that's somewhat of a low-key effort, so I figured he must teach it elsewhere too.

Yes, it's the same trick that's published in Genii.
threeofdiamonds
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of threeofdiamonds
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, EVILDAN wrote:

The Trick That Can't Be Explained by Dai Vernon - It's a good mental exercise to see how many ways you can bring about an ending. It tests your card mettle.

I actually worked out a way of doing this without testing my card mettle! Alas although my technical mettle is quite adequate my mental mettle isn't in the same league. And for this trick you do have to be mentally alert. Since half the time I perform I forget what card I have forced and absent mindedly control cards to the middle of the deck instead of to the top I find testing my mental mettle with this trick a bit of a strain!

For this reason I figured out a better way for me to deal with my incompetence in these matters. I do not make up the trick as I go along which is essentially the standard Vernon procedure but instead follow a similar pattern every single time which I believe makes the trick more effective and less prone to my incompetence. I more or less stick to the original version and when I get to the point of laying them all out in a row face upwards I use the Stewart James subtlety of making the spectator run his finger along the spread and touch the selected card seemingly at random. Oddly enough Lewis Ganson mentions this fleetingly in his original description but does not give any details on the matter. Anyway it usually works and when it does you have a miracle. If it doesn't work then I remove the card that is pointed to and turn it edge on and use Harry Lorayne's wonderful subtlety that he uses in his "Moving Pencil" card trick. The main difference is that instead of using a pencil I use a playing card instead! It does work if you hold the card in a sort of sideways position edge on.

If I fail then I use another procedure which I won't describe here as is a bit too complicated to explain. Suffice it to say the Paul Curry Turnover Change is used. Incidentally the best description of this sleight is to be found in Harry Lorayne's Close up Card Magic. With regard to the "Moving Pencil" routine I still remember Ken Brooke raving about it to me and when I tried it out I found it was well worth raving about!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are your favorite card effects and why? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL