The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » That inferior feeling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I don't now what I am looking for in bringing this up, maybe some positive feedback from any others who may experience something similar?

Anyways, what I am getting at is how inferior I feel when I am around other magicians. Now most are very nice and often times generous with their advice or help but what annoys me is the fact that I feel as if I have little or nothing to give back to good friends who have been (and still are) very helpful to me.

I hook up with Vinny now and then and it's like I just watch him go. The guy knows so much and is such a generous person. It isn't his fault. I know he doesn't expect anything in return but it is just a feeling I sometimes get and I am not sure how to deal with it.

Does anybody else ever feel this way?
I guess I've just got to keep on learning!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Man, I hate that feeling.

mark
What would Wavy do?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If your spend enough time around some folks, you get used to it. I get that feeling around some of the people that visit NY on Saturdays.

If they are getting on in years and show you some material that is almost unknown... the feeling gets more interesting.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
GlenD, I think we all experience that feeling sometimes. What is it that you want to give back to them? I would wager that part of the problem is that you are not asked what you think. If you can, try hanging out with some folks that may be interested in what you think too. Now, I know you may not be at the same technical level or be as creative as some of the folks you've been hanging with, but you have the experiences in your life that you have and they'll will be unique to you. Your thoughts and experiences can have an impact on others, but they need to be open to it and you need not be shy about sharing. (I'm really talking about me here and my experiences, so, please don't take offense.)

I hang out with both types of folks - when I'm with the one's who want to hear what I have to say, I'm much more comfortable and there is a duality of respect. It goes without saying that you have to edit what you say before you say it - you don't want to just speak for the sake of being heard either - contribute when you have something valuable to contribute.

This is also a process of time too - the more time that goes by (speaking in years here), you'll certainly feel like you have something to say that others may be interested in hearing.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
GlenD, it happens to everyone. When I go hang out with my friends that have been in magic much longer then me I feel out of place. But at the same time it makes me want to learn more and become better.

Just remember, even though they are sharing and you don't have much to give to them, they have more then likely been in your shoes at one time.

Chris
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Well, maybe you do have something to share, even if its not magic related. Do you have skills in computers, graphic arts, video editing, writing? Maybe these guys can benifit from your unique abilities. Everyone has something to offer, it just might not be what you think it is.
filem
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of filem
Quote:
On 2004-02-16 10:54, GlenD wrote:
Anyways, what I am getting at is how inferior I feel when I am around other magicians.

Glen, so what? Go out and do your magic for laymen instead. They couldn't care less if you can't do a perfect pass as long as yours is good enough to not be seen and as long as you make them feel good.

Real world experience will also give you respect among magicians.
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
Glen, this is my greatest fear in meeting other magicians. I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge compared to someone as Vinny. As Chris mentioned, it just motivates me to learn more.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Glen,

Don't worry about it.

Everyone in magic is at different stages and, while some may help you now, it's going to be up to you to help others later.

Remember that the line says, "All men are CREATED equal." It doesn't say that they STAY that way!

If, by some chance, someone knows more than you and shows you things that you didn't know, he or she is not expecting something in return.

If that person IS expecting something in return, then simply leave; they aren't worth wasting your time with.

For the past dozen years, I've written the Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine. That's a volunteer thing, like all columnists in the magazine; we don't even get our dues paid. But that's not the point; the point is that we get to pass on information that we have accumulated and that otherwise might be lost.

Your job (and the job of many like you) is to carry the torch on the the next group of performers that comes along.

Note the signature line of Jordan Piper, above: "Don't let others decide what you want."

Good advice!
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
GlenD, if it makes you feel better, I've put more years than I'd care to admit into magic, and I'm still an absolute hack. When I do a pass, it flashes like a guy in a trench coat. Heck, my most challenging skill is getting the cellophane off a new deck of cards.

But you know what? I couldn't care one iota. Someone's got to make these other magicians look good. Besides, what's really important is entertaining audiences.

They don't want to see skill. They want to see magic.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Major thanks to everyone who gave a little of their time to reply. I appreciate all of the words of encouragement and everything. Hopefully it might be of some help to others who read through them too.
Thanks guys, you're all top notch as is this site!!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » That inferior feeling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL