The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Yes, another card on ceiling question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I have been doing Ammars version of C to C for years. I use the wax and double band the deck. The only difference is that I use a pinky pull down for the selection rather than the way Ammar does it. Recently, I have had a few occasions were I did not pull just the selection down but two cards, thus encircling the deck with the bands except TWO cards. So when I toss the deck up the selection will stick and the second card will flutter down.

My question is do you thing this may enhance the effect? Meaning the selection sticks and a seperate card flutters down...kind of a bit of "flash". Some like a card shower as it seems more spectacular, but in the venues I work that is not ideal. So maybe one or two cards fluttering down would enhance the effect?
Or am I over thinking this?

Thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

thanks
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Actually sounds like a nice idea to me. Not earth shattering but worth experimenting with.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you find it works better do it.

I would find it hard to view it as anything but a mistake and distract from the impact. That is one opinion and nothing more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Some thoughs:

1 I don't like to put a rubber band around the deck as I like the deck to scatter when the cards are thrown to the ceiling.

2 Instead of using wax, I like to use scotch tape as suggested by Bruce Elliott in "Classic Secrets of Magic".

3 Also, as suggested in Scarne On Card Tricks, for years I kept the card on the ceiling from doing the effect in my office and when I wanted to again do the effect I would (i) force that card, (ii) have it replaced and controlled to the top, (iii) palm it and give the deck for shuffling, (iv) put the selected (forced) card in my pocket as the deck was shuffled and (v) throw the deck at the ceiling - no tape, no rubber band.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just to throw a monkey in the wrench. How could a card flutter to the ground if you state that you encircled the deck with a rubber band. Wouldn't that mean you did not totally secure the deck with the rubber band. And if you missed one card, could you have missed two. Thus the trick is no longer, the selected card penetrates the cards above and below it along with the rubber band. It brought along another card with it.

To use a rubber band or not, is more of a safety question then anything else. If falling cards his a person in the head or eye, then it is law suit time.

Same with a banded deck, but lets assume magicians should know that they would be well away from people and the banded falling deck.

There is also, card on wall, and card on door, that no one seems to do any more, with a thumb tack.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Hi Bill. As I described I encircled the deck with the exception of two cards. The selection and an indifferent card. doing the pinky pull down. Accidently getting that second card. And yes, the effect it now the selection penetrates the band and brings another card with it!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Doesn't not encircling the entire deck sort of tip the gaff in a small way?

Why would it "bring the other card with it"?

I think it muddies up a perfectly clean effect.

But to reiterate if it works for you and the audience seems to like it then it is right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
David, I know exactly what you're talking about and I think it's good you even THINK about whether or not this is better.
See what comments you get about the xtra card and let us know.

I'm sure some would see it as a nice visual bit and others would question it.
If people question it, that wouldn't be good. In that case, I'd stop doing it.

The fact that you're even wondering, is good.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
My thought was that a few cards coming down would leave the impression that the cards scattered and just one stuck to the ceiling. You'd get a bit of the drama of having the entire deck scatter without the mess. I can't see that one card coming down would add to the effect but I don't see that it would hurt either.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Thanks all.

Frank - Thank you for the kind words. I have been purposely doing the "card flutter" for a few gigs and it seems to get a good reaction. I have even polled some audience members of it. 80 percent seem to say it enhances the effect...a few say it distracts...Still. I think as this was initially a mistake, to make it again from time to time seems to be a non issue.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Info from polling data is tremendously skewed as there is nothing for them to compare against.

Hope it works out well for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Danny - Very true. I tried to explain to the folks I polled how the trick would be without the card flutter. They seemed to grasp the concept, although did not see it...so I guess the bottom line to all this is that I will continue to do the trick with the intent of not making the mistake of pulling two cards and having one flutter, but if it does happen, seems it is not that big a deal...and to some, makes it better.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can't imagine doing such interviews after a trick.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Why not think out of the deck?
The second card is actually your specially printed business card. If it lands face up, so be it but if it lands face down then you have the audience guess what it is, and say something like
"The card on the ceiling was your selected card - being your favorite at the moment... However the card in my hand is my favorite - ALL the time, Can you guess what it is?"
Applause Que (and Que. to hand-out more if asked.

Another idea that you all can use. While everyone is looking up, switch-out the banded deck for a duplicate which are 50 of your printed business cards.
That way when someone asks (You may prompt them) to "look through the deck" to make sure there was only the one 2 of diamonds (even though it's signed)... That way you have introduced your business cards in a off-beat manor and may pass them out.

If no one has published this idea before then we shall call it the "Leslie Method Of Introducing Your business Card In Sneaky But An Aw-Shucks Manor" or LMOIYBCIASBASM, for short.

You can quote me Smile
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Danny -

I do this when breaking in new material too. I politely ask for feed back. People are very kind and willing to assist if you phrase it correctly. Also I have worked in the same venues for over 20 years, many regulars have become good friends and are happy to assist...not so odd. I used to think it was unprofessional and awkward to do such a thing, but as I get older, why not? The feed back is honest and on point. For me it, helps.

thanks for your help here.

David
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If it helps cool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
David,
I have to say that I'm able to do the same thing. That is, get honest feedback from laypeople. I, too, am working the same venue for over 20 years. It really does help to understand what we do from a layperson's perspective. I've found that regulars, who have become more than acquaintances, usually enjoy being part of the discovery process.

Jay,
that is a really excellent idea with the "business card"!!!

patrick
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Years ago I had a killer thing happen that if I could get to work everytime I would never stop doing. I tossed the deck a card stuck but it wasn't the signed card. Everyone looked at me like I messed up then I saw the card flutter behind them. I snapped my finger and had them look up and the card had changed to the selection. It was the most amazing trick I had ever done. They were floored to say the least. So I'll tip the method pure luck!!!!
They had stuck just long enough to pull it off. Wish I had been performing for magicians because they would have been scratching thier heads for years. The color changing card on ceiling has a nice ring to it. Smile
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Hey Bigfoot... Are you Peter Tuohie (not sure of the spelling) we met in the mid 80s in Caernarfon, North Wales. I repeat this story often.
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
No I'm not I'm actually from the US this happened to me back around 1983ish. It was one of my first restaurant gigs. The place was covered in cards on the ceiling. That is funny that it has happened to someone else though. I'm sure you would agree it would be great if you could do it on demand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Yes, another card on ceiling question (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL