The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Streaming Videos. (Good or Bad) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

illusion123
View Profile
Regular user
Wolverhampton, England
121 Posts

Profile of illusion123
I have to say I am not a big fan of streaming videos in magic. They might have there place for updates of certain effects. I just think when you buy a new effect you should have the complete package in your personnel possession. You should not only have the trick but a DVD or at least a download to your computer, so you have the whole package.I attend a magic car boot sale in the UK where I sell effects that don't suit me or have never used. How would I sell my second hand goods without a DVD, people would just not buy it. I have many streaming magic tutorials, so what happens if the company goes out of business, are these streaming videos still going to be around in 5/10 years time?. I don't really know why we need streaming videos apart from a dealer wanting to save money producing a DVD. I will have to think very carefully in the future when buying and effect which just as a streaming video.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
922 Posts

Profile of mantel
The streaming videos probably won't be around in 5/10 years. The other reason some dealers release streaming videos is Piracy. It of course can still be pirated. But its not on a "Silver Platter".
Xaa
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Xaa
I tend to save copies of the downloadable instruction videos. They are easily saved to a CD or DVD. I also use an external drive as a backup for all magic media and documents. Even if a product comes with a recording, media standards change often. I still prefer a real book to any of it!
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein, What I Believe (1930)
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Pretty much any stream can be saved. If I buy an effect and the instructions are streamed I simply save the file and keep a copy on my external hard drive as backup. I also backup all my magic DVDs to my externeal drive. Which is good because on my last move one of my favorites DVDs got lost and I was able to make a new copy from my backup (then 2 years later the original showed up during my next move ha ha).
~Cicero
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of ~Cicero
I agree with..well everybody sort of. If you can easily download the stream by design then I have no problem. However, some of these are set-up so they can not be downloaded without some technical skill (it's called hacking). In other words, IMO a protected, non downloadable stream is BS. Creators, Make a DVD or booklet and protect it FFS - sure, anything can be cracked, but a thief is a thief and stealing copyrighted info is a crime.
Brian
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I agree with the above.

I don't mind em but at least have an easy to download mechanism behind them!
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Luckily many people use YouTube for their videso - the easiest site to download from.
So far Netflix is the only site I cannot download their stream. It can be done, but is a lot of hassle. Smile

I really think the videos should be easier to download when you purchase an effect, but if they make it difficult... I will still do my best to get it. I think the difficult downloading will drive people to the pirate sites. If we are willing to spend money on your site - give us the whole package.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
DVD has a cost in packaging. if you have ever lamented the high cost of goods this is the solution.

Things go into production much quicker and supply is beget. All things g fixed by streaming. All were regular complaints.

If the originator wants to try to stop a thief that is ok.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Professor Marvel
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Professor Marvel
It's just easier for me to watch an effect on DVD and practice along on the TV. Trying to do the same on the small screen of my laptop or iPad is just not that convenient.
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
It is easier for me to download on my iPad. So I could watch and practice it anywhere I go Smile
Overworked
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Overworked
"It's just easier for me to watch an effect on DVD and practice along on the TV. Trying to do the same on the small screen of my laptop or iPad is just not that convenient.
"

That is easily solved by using something like an Appletv. My appletv lets me play all my downloaded files on my TV.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Or you can just watch it on dvd. This is what I prefer when I use that format
Overworked
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Overworked
"Or you can just watch it on dvd"

Except I don't use a dvd player anymore. One less bit of equipment (and one less remote to worry about) and I hate sacrificing storage space to Dvd cases. And it is so much more convenient, all my downloads, dvds, and CD's for that matter in one place easily accessible at the push of my fingers. DVD's are so 2000. Plus once it is burned on my harddrive I can view it on my TV, on my IPad, on my Iphone, or on my computer. Where ever I am, even on the road, my whole video collection goes with me.
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I don't watch DVD's much. I back everything up to my hard drive (computer and external hard drive for redundancy). I don't like lugging around DVD's.

As for streaming instructions - I always try to save a copy because websites tend to go away... and your, paid for, instructions would be lost. If I pay for it I need a copy. I am not reselling or stealing, but I want a backup copy if I paid for it. I can understand content producers not wanting to spend the money of DVD production, but providing a downloadable video should be a minimum. (and most seem to)
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have noticed that some sites and some effects are streaming video only. They don't allow for download. They say it is to protect for piracy, but I completely share your sentiment, illusion123. I want to know that I have possession of it, whether on DVD or on my hard drive so years later when the company is out of business, I'm not out in the dark.

If you own the right to a streaming video and the company goes out of business and your streaming video is gone, has your property just been stolen?

I personally don't purchase anything that is streaming video only. To me, it's more like steaming video. Like a big pile of stinkin' steamin' video. That thar is no good.

KJ
Michael Mindreader
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael Mindreader
Happened to me before. the creator closed the website and I lost my streaming product. can't contact the creator anymore.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Why not just record the stream using your phone (like an old school bootleg)?
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Arcato
View Profile
New user
Germany
58 Posts

Profile of Arcato
I am disturbed by the increasing trend that magic companies only offer streaming video instructions on Vimeo et al, which cannot be downloaded for offline viewing. One example: I purchased "Bowled Over" from World Magic Shop at Blackpool and their instructions are only streaming. I contacted them and inquired for a link to a downloadable version and their succinct reply was that they've had hundreds of people using their service without any problems.

But what if Vimeo goes bankrupt or gets purchased by another company?
What if World Magic Shop goes out of business and closes their account?
I think this is an unacceptable business practice which I will not support any more.
On a positive note: Vanishing Inc. is offering downloadable video instructions from their site that are watermarked with my name, which is perfectly fine for me.

Of course there are many ways how content can get also lost locally. Therefore I backup my MacBook regularly. Most instructional DVDs are DVD-Rs only which also is a risk. But relying on a third party content platform to host online videos is IMHO careless, if not dangerous. How many internet companies have come and gone in the past 5-10 years? YouTube is certainly here to stay for a while, but Vimeo? I'm not so sure...
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I had some stream video's from a magic online shop. When they went out of business they sent me an email telling me they were transferring my stream video's to another magic online shop. The transition was smooth with no issues. Most stream video's I purchase has the option to download it. It takes a few days, and when I get the download it has a watermark on it which is perfectly fine with me since I'm the only one who will view it.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Streaming Videos. (Good or Bad) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL