The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Math to arrive at the number 9! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
chappy
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

Profile of chappy
If you estimate the participants age to the nearest decade, e.g. thirties, forties, etc. then you could predict the outcome after only the first two phases.
twenties = 18
thirties = 27
forties = 36 etc

Is the principle too obvious? Perhaps.

Keep the presentation simple. Remove a business card with the correct number on the back, and place it on their hand, just another reason to use your b'card. Don't play it too seriously and make sure you've killed them with something previously.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Matthew,

I was re-reading your posting above. Using a person's age to arrive at the number 9 is clever. However, if you do this effect in front of an audience with a volunteer, the audience members will also be doing the math in their heads at the same time using their own ages -- they will ALL arrive at the same number 9. I guess maybe your method would only be satisfactory to use in a one-on-one situation. Just some thoughts…
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
Hoodrat,

Thank you for your kind words but I have to disagree when it comes to doing this for a crowd. Why would everyone else think to do the math at the same time if it is not addressed to them, this is the way magicians think. After the job is done no one is going to back track, in the grand scheme of things I just don't think it’s that important to people. It's just like saying that people will back track any math question, after all the idea of people doing the math at the same time works with any method, does it not?

Cheers,
Matthew J.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
If someone in the audience gets a nine as well they might just / probably would put it down to coincidence. 1 in 10 chance, after all.

It's not as though that person in the audience knows that EVERY OTHER person got a nine as well.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
That's what I'm saying! I don't think anybody would be that concerned. As I said before, the idea of someone else doing the math works with any equation, not just mine.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I tend to think that others in the audience will either do the math at the same time or do an easy backtrack BUT, if something else personal was added, maybe there would be enough cover. Good thing to think about.
Thanks Matthew.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
449 Posts

Profile of Hushai
In the Introduction to Karl Fulves's book "Self-Working Number Magic" (published by Dover Publications -- a great book for anyone interested in this kind of thing) he makes the following suggestion which is similar to much of what has been said on this thread: "In presenting the tricks in this book, try to connect the routines with numbers that have meaning to the spectator. Thus, instead of having a spectator jot down a random number, have him jot down the last two digits of his telephone number or the first two digits of his license plate number. He will then think that those digits are somehow important to the outcome, and this is the real secret of success with material of this kind" (p. iii). Sounds good to me!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Math to arrive at the number 9! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL