The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Influence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeAH
View Profile
New user
Staffordshire
6 Posts

Profile of MikeAH
At some point in everyone's life, there is a moment where people declare, I can't believe how good that is' beyond the regular means.

What artist, effect, sleight etc still now makes your jaw drop beyond understandable comprehension.

My reason of asking is to see what excites people.
If something makes you sit up and are notice, then I'm interested.

I have my reasons for getting in to what I have, I'm wondering what inspired(s) you.

Mike
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Http://youtube.com/user/CardMagicByJason/

The clarity of presentation and the powerful plots that Jason (and Darwin) perform is absolutely world class.

Good Card Manipulation also gives me the chills and I absolutely love seeing it.

-Harley
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Tina Lenert's signature act, where she plays a cleaning woman who finds romance in her janitorial cart, touches me every time I see it. She was also part of the recreation of the "Blue Room" illusion. The cleaning woman bit isn't a fooler, but it doesn't matter -- the method isn't an end in itself, but is there to serve the character and story. The "Blue Room" is more mystifying, but again the audience winds up with an emotional response to the story that is being told, in addition to the inherent intellectual puzzle.

Tina's "mop woman" act: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tJxWh58uwg

Blue Room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2helNifWy0Q

Lately I've been admiring the close-up work of Rene Lavand. Partly it's because most folks who had lost a hand in an accident wouldn't say to themselves, "I should become a sleight-of-hand magician." And partly it's because even with just one hand he manages to astound and confuse.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2015, djtrouten wrote:
Tina Lenert's signature act, where she plays a cleaning woman who finds romance in her janitorial cart, touches me every time I see it. She was also part of the recreation of the "Blue Room" illusion. The cleaning woman bit isn't a fooler, but it doesn't matter -- the method isn't an end in itself, but is there to serve the character and story. The "Blue Room" is more mystifying, but again the audience winds up with an emotional response to the story that is being told, in addition to the inherent intellectual puzzle.

Tina's "mop woman" act: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tJxWh58uwg

Blue Room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2helNifWy0Q

Lately I've been admiring the close-up work of Rene Lavand. Partly it's because most folks who had lost a hand in an accident wouldn't say to themselves, "I should become a sleight-of-hand magician." And partly it's because even with just one hand he manages to astound and confuse.

Wow, that was amazingly inspiring. Magic with heart. That just might get us all thinking about ways to use dramatic presence and more heart into our own performances. It certainly will mine.

Thanks so much for sharing those two performances with us!
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
MikeAH
View Profile
New user
Staffordshire
6 Posts

Profile of MikeAH
Harley those are some smooooooth moves right there. I'm a sucker for a tune that raises the pulse too, so that works for me.
I've tried working with decks in various conditions, but this has inspired me to force a bevel on the deck and see how it changes things for how I handle.

Djtrouten the story telling is compelling in Tina's act. The whole thing is driven with purpose. You want to know more as it unfolds, and are left feeling the fairyland ending. Fantastic.

It seams like there so many ways to perform, but the second it has purpose or motivation it takes on a whole new meaning.
It goes from a throw away effect in a moment of time, to something that only that can person can do and lasts as an emotional impact forever.

I always appreciate anything that takes the mind elsewhere to the norm.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Influence (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL