The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Name of a partiular gimmick (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MrTipsyTiger
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of MrTipsyTiger
Hello Magicians,

After a 15 year break from studying and practicing magical illusions I have decided to return. I feel as if I'm literally starting over, because I can't remember vocabulary, and many other things. I'm looking for the name of the gimmick used to produce a silk cloth from apparently empty hands. Is there a name for this gimmick, or is it so standard that magicians just make their own?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
There are many methods.

Why do you need a gimmick for a simple silk production?
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4628 Posts

Profile of landmark
Mr. TT, I suspect you're thinking of a TT.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
If it's the gimmick I'm thinking of, some people call it a "Vernet."
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1526 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Sanada gimmick.
Jay Scott Berry sells some wonderful variations of the Sanada gimmick.
Ihor
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1430 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Your thinking of a "thumb tip". Vernet seems to be the brand of choice for most magicians. Very inexpensive.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6646 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Welcome to the Café, MrTipsyTiger! Yes. I use a jumbo Vernet. Best there is.

Doug
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5046 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Both Ihop and Bobby Forbes are correct. I think the TT is easier to ditch and allow you to be "clean" afterwards. But I remember when I first saw the Sanada gimmick demonstrated, and I was completely floored by it.

There are other more complicated rigs created over the years to accomplish similar productions, but in my opinion, these two - short of sleight of hand - are the simplest and most direct.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga TN
58 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
I thought all TT's were basically the same. Is this not the case? What is the difference between the two mentioned above?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6646 Posts

Profile of Dougini
OK, this is pretty well-known. Here it is on Penguin's site:

http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/so......full.jpg

It fits like this:

http://www.bazardemagia.com/ver_imagen.p......g&tipo=4

It's OK. It works. The two Vernets are Jumbo and regular. The two center ones:

http://www.clownsupplies.com/magic/images/thumbtip.jpg

Doug
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga TN
58 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
Wow, I had no idea, thank you for clarifying Dougini. I'm only family with the Vernets. Something new to consider for vanishes.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6646 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I dunno. The Sanada is unique, but just not for me. The jumbo Vernet is my workhorse...

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6646 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The Vernet has many good uses. You might get use out of the Sanada. I rarely see it used, no pun intended. These tools are only limited to your imagination. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Fujiwara Gimmick and Fujiwara Gimmick 2.

Just variations on a theme. Same idea. The Vernet, though is the tool I find I use most often. The others, you have to have your hand in a weird position. Dead giveaway. Kills that idea for me.

Doug
magiccollector69
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of magiccollector69
There are also things like the Palmo ball, in one form or another. I can't recall the name but there was one produced with a nice extension that gave you more handling options. With these of course you can use a much larger silk than with a TT, but at the cost of more 'handwashing' gestures.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6646 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The Palmo does a nice color-change with 18" silks. Use with a Topit to vanish.

Doug
magiccollector69
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of magiccollector69
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2015, magiccollector69 wrote:
There are also things like the Palmo ball, in one form or another. I can't recall the name but there was one produced with a nice extension that gave you more handling options. With these of course you can use a much larger silk than with a TT, but at the cost of more 'handwashing' gestures.

The name of the other device came to me. It's a Nikko Ball. Viking sells it, though from the photo it's not as elegant a model as th4 originals I've seen from older manufacturers. Sort of looks like they used a thumbtack for the extension (though I expect it's not a thumbtack.)
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1526 Posts

Profile of Ihop
If you want to watch some amazing work with the Sanada gimmick, try to find work by Jay Scott Berry.
He lectured at my SAM meeting using his version of the Sanada. It has 2 compartments, so you can change silk colors , silk to sponge ball, etc.
He sells it on his website.
Ihor
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6646 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I've been fooled by the Sanada before. So I can't knock it. I've gotten so accustomed to the Vernet, the Palmo and the Simplex, it's hard to imagine anything better. I will look up Berry though. Thanks Ihop!

Doug
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1526 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Doug,
What's a Simplex?
I searched for it on the Penguin website but couldn't find it.
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1526 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Never mind, Doug.
I found it.
I'm going to Tannens' and Fantasma tomorrow.
I may pick one up. It looks cheap enough to give it a try.
If I have time, I'll also stop by Café Rustico. The Saturday afternoon magician hangout.
It'll be a good day.
Ihor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Name of a partiular gimmick (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL