The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Pit Hartling's New Book - In Order To Amaze (117 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Martin_Eisele
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Martin_Eisele
The before mentioned app 'SD Poker' for Pit's effect 'The Poker Formulas' got an update a while ago so that it works together with the 'Vision' app. You can now perform the effect from any shuffled deck!

Here you can find a short demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzGIFk5kZtQ

Martin
chappy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of chappy
Looks great Martin!
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Olivier7
View Profile
New user
London
43 Posts

Profile of Olivier7
Any plan to release that app for android users ?
Martin_Eisele
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Martin_Eisele
Not yet, I'm sorry. Currently I'm working on several enhancements for Vision. I first have to finish these and will then see.
Olivier7
View Profile
New user
London
43 Posts

Profile of Olivier7
Hi Martin. Thank you for your answer. That would be great. The combination of both apps is just incredible!
Frittentick
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Frittentick
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2016, alecStephenson wrote: It's extremely unlikely, but bear in mind that you might mis-identify the card in Sherlock. If you have 18 19 21 20 22 23 then the card could be 20 or 21, but you cannot know which. Charles Jordan was aware of this issue back in 1919 but to my knowledge nobody since then has mentioned it in print.

Does anyone came up with a solution for a fair selection and replacement to avoid the problem?
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
834 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I wrote the following directly afterwards:

Quote:
On Aug 29, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
That's one potential issue with Sherlock, but that's easily dealt with as you can usually find identifying features between the two cards and go fishing for a moment (or, as an example - remove one and cut the other to the top of the deck in prep for top change and do a miscall for the one on top of the deck - if wrong, show the one in your hand, otherwise get your applause and top change if you feel the need to show it around).

The other potential issue is that based on the handling (either in replacement or during shuffling), there is a VERY slight chance of not knowing anything about the chosen card - in which case mnemonicosis is your best friend for that very unlucky outcome.

The problem isn't just selection/replacement, but the odds of the spectator shuffling the card back into position. I can say from experience that it CAN happen, because it did happen to me once. However, given the low odds it is rare that it will happen. As I mentioned, when it does happen, you can immediately go into mnemonicosis as an out. It's not ideal, but it worked just fine the time I had to do it and no one was any wiser. It's not a problem if you are aware that it can happen and you are prepared to handle it if it does occur.
Frittentick
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Frittentick
I love the idea to let the spectator shuffle the cards and be back in stack afterwards. However, it happened to me sometimes that the card was placed to the same position. Since the stripping sequence is quiete long I dislike to finish with a weak ending. More often it happens 2 cards changed places which can easily solved. But I like to have the best outcome anytime.
rosstrainer08
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of rosstrainer08
This is such a wonderful book! Interesting presentations to some very fun looking effects.

I can't wait to try some of these out. Thanks to Pit!
Alex Carantońa
View Profile
New user
Asturias, Spain
10 Posts

Profile of Alex Carantońa
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2019, Frittentick wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2016, alecStephenson wrote: It's extremely unlikely, but bear in mind that you might mis-identify the card in Sherlock. If you have 18 19 21 20 22 23 then the card could be 20 or 21, but you cannot know which. Charles Jordan was aware of this issue back in 1919 but to my knowledge nobody since then has mentioned it in print.

Does anyone came up with a solution for a fair selection and replacement to avoid the problem?

I changed the procedure. Had the chance to ask Pit about this and he simply has another deck ready just in case. He likes the image of the spectator going away to select the card, but I don't trust them AT ALL, as they might have difficulties handling a fanned deck. I'd rather have them cut the deck in four packets after one single cut. I turn my back, let them pick up one of the cut to cards and bury it in that packet or in any other. Then, the mixing. Etc. I prefer this approach, much similar to Tamariz's La bomba. It is foolproof.
holdingoutflat
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of holdingoutflat
FYI, I'm selling my copy right now for $35usd plus shipping. This is an incredible book though. Just downsizing my collection. It's a beautiful book.
holdingoutflat
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of holdingoutflat
Update: sorry, the book has sold.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I dribble the cards show card stopped at give chance to change or dribble again. After they have looked at card dribble a few more cards say 5 or 6 and replace card. Now when they shuffle twice it’s impossible for card to be shuffled back to position.
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1205 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Good idea.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Pit Hartling's New Book - In Order To Amaze (117 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL