The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Complete Cups & Balls By Michael Ammar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Profile of Magicjohnathon
February 9, 2004 I was in L.A judging the Winter Magic Strolling Olympics at the Magic Castle. During my stay I visited my favorite Magicians Toy Store, The Hollywood Magic Shop. I spent a lot of money on different self improvement books and Dvds. One of my newest favorite Dvd sets is The Complete Cups & Balls volumes 1-2 by Michael Ammar.
This is one of the most amazing magic series I own, thanks to these dvds I'm now working on the Vernon Wand Spin, Im proud of my success with this utility move.
Everything needed to build an astonishing cups & balls Act, is covered in great detail.
I highly Recommend them to all serious cups & Balls workers.
"If at first you don't succeed! Than skydiving is definately not for you"!
Magically Johnathon Marshall
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
I also recommend the book. Personally, I don't think you need the videos, as long as you get this book.

Just my opinion,

Alex
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Personally I believe in owning both Book & Dvd versions. Simply the more referrences I have the more complete I feel.
Not to mention if I don't understand a move in the book, I find it much easier to study the dvd. My students agree!
But alex, I think its great that you like to read the books. Most magicians know from experience that there is much more material written in book form, than the video format. So lets hear it for Alex everybody.... Yeeeah! Reading is knowledge! And Knowledge is Power. I respect that!
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I love both. DVD's have helped me more with the Silent Mora wand spin than I could pick up from the book. The timing thing.

Also, great Bob Read historical material on the dvd that isn't on the book, and great material from other performers in the book that's not on the dvd. A killer combination.

Mark

Johnathon, you must have had a great time in that magic stuff, you're reviewing a lot of great stuff lately. I'm envious. Oh, and is that the Oakdale in the Central Valley? My wife is from there.
What would Wavy do?
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I love his dvds.
ollason
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ollason
The DVDs are truly excellent. Extremely thorough and with clear descriptions. As Mark said, the DVDs are also helpful in picking up the timing of certain moves that are more difficult to get from the book.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Books are fine, but come on, DVD's are better. Thsi si like comapring the old time radio shows with epic Movies-You can't.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
No Chris, I would never say DVD's a better. I think often, they are far inferior. On a dvd you get the gross actions, you get someone elses presentation.Sometimes though, especially with issues of timing, a visual reference can be helpful.

Also, in the case of this particular DVD, I really appreciated the history that was not included in the book.

Generally, on a dvd or video, I find it impossible to communicate the subtleties that a book can. DVD's can be a useful tool, but I don't think it's wise to depend on them as a primary learning source.

Sorry, didn't mean to drag up this old arguement again. But really I'd rather listen to a recording of Orson Welles doing War of the Worlds than sit through another "epic" Matrix movie. Philosophical my butt, why back when I was in school. . . Smile

Mark
What would Wavy do?
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
For christmas, I received the DVDs & Book as a set. I very much like watching the DVDs for Ideas, then going to the book for my practice sessions. The DVDs are fantastic for visualizing the timing in the wand spin and wand vanishes. I have to agree that I very much enjoyed the Bob Read material as well.

The book contained some great bonus material as well. Michael Ammar interviewed many magicians who are well known for their cups & balls work. Some of their interviews can really get you thinking about your presentation and how to handle logistical issues.

If you like the cups & Balls, this material can really get you going.

Enjoy!!

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
cigar808
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of cigar808
Have had the DVD's for a month or so.
They are great.Basics are covered real well.
Love the Bob Read segments.
(anyone else notice they are out of order?)
Guess I'm gonna have to order the book soon.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Lastnitesfun, the last paragraph of your post made me laugh. And I completely agree with the senitment.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
I can hardly wait to purchase the book and video's.
Never learned the Cups & Balls to my chagrin!
Gerard
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I've got both the book and videos.
Frankly, though I got the videos for half a year, I didn't watch at all....So I can only give my view on the book.

The book teaches you many essences in performing good C&B. And the theory is very worth-studying. But regret that it only covers 3 cups. No 2 cups nor 1 cup routines are explained.

Alex
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Wow alex,
You have remarkable willpower! I could'nt imagine buying magic Dvds or Videos and not even watching them.
Sounds a little crazy! But it takes all kinds!
Good luck with where your going!!
budionodarmawan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of budionodarmawan
I have those dvd.IMO for learning sleight, better watch the dvd than read the book.Sometimes it is very difficult to visualize the sleight from the book.But for deatil on rooutining, and psychological aspects, Book is the best.

Budiono
roya
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
211 Posts

Profile of roya
Are those DVDs good for cups & balls beginners?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If you are a beginner, yes, but the book is also VERY informative, and can be used to review later, after you've watched the vid.

My suggestion, is to learn the basic Super Easy Routine first...master that...get a couple of more sleights down pat...master those...gradual...do NOT overwhelm yourself, as there are two volumes, and they cover a LOT of ground. You can burn yourself out quickly, if you try to tackle it all. I know, the temptation...but one thing at a time.

You'd be surprised how many people I still blow away with the Super Easy Routine, nothing else.

Another avenue I might suggest looking into, would be the Hindu Cups and Balls...do a Quicksearch up top here in the Café'...

Hope this helps!

Doug
roya
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
211 Posts

Profile of roya
Thanks Dougini.
Is there a live performance, or just explanations on this set?
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Regarding Ammar’s C&Bs video: Was it just me or is Bob Read’s comment about “tokenism” inappropriate and racist. Over the last day or so his words regarding the brown piece of bread he is holding seemed more and more bothersome and this has led me to not want to watch the second video tape. Why, on a video about the cups and balls, does he have to say such a thing. Forget about adults of color and how they would feel watching the video, what would kids who’s skin is not white feel when they are blind sided by this comment. Anybody know where else I can learn the wand spin vanish?
Deck01
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
32 Posts

Profile of Deck01
Frankm6,

I don't own the book and the dvd's so I can't give any comment about your agrument. But I know a book where you can learn the wand spin vanish. it's also Ammar's book (Magic of Michael Ammar) I learn my wand spin from this book and also the M. Ammar C&B routine. Hope this helps.

neil
I cryied when I had no shoes, until I saw a boy without his feet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Complete Cups & Balls By Michael Ammar (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL