The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Penn & Teller Fool Us (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4704 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
I was more surprised by the first episode of the new season when Penn claimed that he was fooled by Tiny Plunger and that the only reason Jon Armstrong didn't fool them was that Penn happened to team up with Teller about 40 years ago. As was pointed out in an earlier post in the thread by Magicbarry, it's a marketed effect that's been around for two years. Am I the only one here finding it hard to believe Penn didn't know the trick?

Well, to be fair, I doubt that P&T are scouring through the magic catalogs for tricks at this point in their careers.
They were also fooled by a Simon Aronson effect which has been in print for a decade now--that's the one that I was surprised that they didn't know.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of noble1
I think it's been said before, and I believe the fact is the "Fool Us" concept is more about being a great presentational vehicle for getting quality magic on TV than it is about truly fooling P&T. It's showbiz.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
I was more surprised by the first episode of the new season when Penn claimed that he was fooled by Tiny Plunger and that the only reason Jon Armstrong didn't fool them was that Penn happened to team up with Teller about 40 years ago. As was pointed out in an earlier post in the thread by Magicbarry, it's a marketed effect that's been around for two years. Am I the only one here finding it hard to believe Penn didn't know the trick?

Well, to be fair, I doubt that P&T are scouring through the magic catalogs for tricks at this point in their careers.
They were also fooled by a Simon Aronson effect which has been in print for a decade now--that's the one that I was surprised that they didn't know.

But they certainly subscribe to all the major magic magazines, I'd think. I know Tiny Plunger has been covered in at least one. And if they're hosting a show called "Fool Us," even if the show is far more about promotion than it is about fooling them, I'd think they'd do their best to be up to date. Nobody ever accused them of a shoddy work ethic.

Maybe you're right, maybe Penn wasn't following the latest stuff and was fooled. Anything's possible. I really wish I knew, though.

Anyway, what was the Aronson effect? And do you recall who fooled them with it?
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:

It was Graham Jolley performing Aronson's Prior Commitment.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Congrats to Handsome Jack (John Lovick) for fooling Penn & Teller on the most recent episode of Fool Us. (Series 2 , Episode 3) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJL0L7Zsyhc

He performed his torn and restored handbill , with a "hello, sucker" explanation , then a last minute restoration of the torn pieces and immediately handed out the restored handbill to Teller to examine. Very clean. This handling stumped P & T .

I read on another forum that John apparently covered the torn and restored handbill on his Penguin Live lecture last year , but I'm not sure if he covered the kicker ending that he used to fool P & T.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of chappy
John's performance was fantastic. One of the most entertaining acts I have seen on FU.
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4704 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, David Todd wrote:

I read on another forum that John apparently covered the torn and restored handbill on his Penguin Live lecture last year , but I'm not sure if he covered the kicker ending that he used to fool P & T.

Yes, he did.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Magicbarry wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:

It was Graham Jolley performing Aronson's Prior Commitment.

Thanks. Very much appreciated.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4704 Posts

Profile of landmark
Last night's show: I wondered where Mac King was going with the chop cup routine (was that supposed to fool P&T?), but I really enjoyed his guinea pig stunt. Gotta say, I didn't see that coming!

The mentalist was very boring and generic, even though she had red hair and tattoos; the 16 year old was a little more competent and exciting, but definitely 16 years old; and Norman Ng had a nice take on that principle (how did he disguise it so well?), but the actual fork bending itself could have been better I thought.

Finally, I had a lot of fun watching Penn and Teller's knife throwing act. Mrs. landmark objected to the fact that it wasn't magic, but I was happy that it was a little essay about deception and perception a la Paper Balls Over the Head.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Mac was hilarious. The routine is also based on work by Jennings and Swain. The kid did a really good job. Anyone else notice that something was cut from his performance? Penn referenced Twisting the Aces with a Dingle handling. The only act that fooled ME was Alison's drawing duplication. It's just not my area of expertise.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4704 Posts

Profile of landmark
I guess that's the fun part of magic. You can be very familiar with one area of magic and have no idea about others. I haven't the slightest idea of how the big illusions are done--and I think I like being naive that way.
Nejuta
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Nejuta
Can anyone help with resources where I can find description of "bending painted fork" performed by Norman Ng ?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4704 Posts

Profile of landmark
Penn already told you.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
527 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Just Google everything Penn says, and you'll come up with a boatload of references. I'd tell you myself, but soon I'll be gone (out to a fine noon-time meal).
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4704 Posts

Profile of landmark
I liked Jen Kramer this week--nice girl-next-door appeal. I thought Penn's assessment of her was very good:

Jay Sankey...I can't say I was ever a big fan, but we all know that he can be much funnier and much more interesting than he was in this performance. Very restrained and vanilla. It was basically product placement as far as I could tell. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it would have made for much better television if Sankey were actually trying for a Vegas spot.

The Greg/Mark/Nani Wilson routine was a fun nostalgic aw shucks segment.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
The show has been renewed for 2016.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
527 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
To get a few more details on the background of the show, I suggest reading the article in the latest MUM magazine by Michael Close, who also acted as a consultant on the show. Excellent article.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1294 Posts

Profile of barts185
On the August 17th show, Frederick Falk got a bad decision. The watch is not gimmicked the way that Penn described.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
527 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Kostya Kimlat crushed it last night! I loved Penn's reaction.
jeremysexton
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of jeremysexton
Kostya's Triumph… holy smokes. That was insane. I felt Penn's pain on that one. I knew exactly where it was going, but there was nothing for me to grab onto as far as how in the world he was going to get there. That was stunning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Penn & Teller Fool Us (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL