The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Who Invented Split Fans (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I read a few years that Cardini did not invent the Split Fans. Is this true? And if it is, who did invent them?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Idk! Ask Amado!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
We're discussing that topic now on the "Routined Manipulations" facebook forum, Dick. I've got my John Fisher bio of _Cardini: The Suave Deceiver_ and will check the part about Cardini in the trenches during the war to see if there's mention of anyone who did split fans before Cardini. In most accounts, Richard Pitchford stumbled onto the idea when wearing gloves to keep his hands warm while trying to produce single cards but because of the gloves, the cards came out in groups rather than singly. Maybe there's an instance of co-invvention behind the origin. The b*ckp*lm itself is usually attributed to Ardo the Frogman.

I'll also check my copies of Ganson's _Expert Manipulation of Playing Cards_. Lew usually provided some historical background for the moves in his books.

But maybe someone on this forum will come up with some other names.

(I've got to think, too, that the gloves Cardini wore during WWI were rather thicker than the white cotton gloves he wore in his act, which would have made even producing fans a little clumsy.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
10/4 on the "thick" gloves. When I started working on the split fans, I was advised to buy white cotton "allergy" gloves in a drug store. They worked just fine. I still have a pair!

Remind me to tell you about Cardini playing a 'small time' vaude house in upstate New York. Jay Marshall arrived in town for a club date, and noticed Cardini's name on the marquee, and went backstage to visit. He asked Mr "C" why he was playing the 'off Broadway" theater.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
On the subject of gloves...

When I was much younger (MUCH younger), I played in a school band. For the marching band, we used white cotton gloves. I began using them with tricks like "Gloves to Dove". Later, when I worked at a local magic and costume shop, we sold those same gloves, so naturally I started playing with them involving manipulation.

Some of these came with tiny dots of white rubber embedded in the palm side of the fingers and hand. These were to improve grip in the same manner as no-slip socks have on the bottom. The dots were MUCH smaller, though. It occurred to me that these might be an aid to certain types of manipulation, especially things like wooden billiard balls (Fakini balls were not really commonplace back then). The problem was, it would be more beneficial if the "dots" were also between the fingers, which they were not. I abandoned the idea, but can't help but think it could be useful.

OK, that aside, I have heard that "kid" gloves were the thing to get, not cotton gloves. I've never had any, so I cannot verify how effective they are.

Does anyone know offhand if there is any historical info in the Marlo book on card fans?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1461 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I thought Vernon wrote about this some years ago in in Genii column. I seem to recall it was a circus performer who wasn't even a serious magician. Name escapes me at th is point ,but it can be researched....
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Michael's idea might have some interesting possibilities. Maybe you could take two pairs of gloves to a tailor and explain that you'd like to have strips of the white rubber dots cut from one pair of gloves and added between the fingers of the other pair of gloves. Some tailors may turn you away saying they don't do things like that--I guess because it sounds crazy or is beneath them--like the tailor who turned me down when I wanted some silks cut diagonally and then re-hemmed. But I eventually found a tailor who was willing to do what I asked. (I still prefer diagonally cut silks over diamond cut silks. I don't think a lay audience can tell the difference--or cares.)

----- Sonny Narvaez
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thinking that pre-printed "rubber dot" fabric is out their somewhere, I did a quick Google search and seems it is.

http://www.jamesthompson.com/products/fa......ht_Cloth

Now, you just have to find a tailor or seamstress with enough of a self-abusive soul to actually take on the task of custom making a pair of gloves.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, JNeal wrote:
I thought Vernon wrote about this some years ago in in Genii column. I seem to recall it was a circus performer who wasn't even a serious magician. Name escapes me at th is point ,but it can be researched....

"The first time I ever saw Split Fans, which was before I ever met Cardini and probably before Channing Pollack was even born, was shown to me by a fellow named Ardo the Frog man. He was an Australian contortionist who dressed like a frog and acted like a frog all through the act, but his hobby was magic. He did split Fans and I had never seen them before. This was in Chicago in 1919. It's possible that the move originated in Australia, because I knew quite a few very fine card men in New York and none of them had ever seen or even heard about this move."

Dai Vernon ~ December 1969
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks Brad for jogging my memory! It was the exact quote I had vague recollections of. Amazing how the mind slips after 45 years!
LOL
J.Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Darn.. I thought I invented the move.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Wow......that information is fascinating......I wonder which Magician would be generally credited with POPULARIZING the move?......was Goodlett Dodson (SP?) generally credited as being THE MAN or would someone else be that person?

As a lifelong student of the art of Magic, the evolution and history of moves like this has fascinated me all of my life....
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Oh, by the way, JNeal and Pete Biro, Dick Oslund was talking about both of you guys in the car on the way back form his Book Signing Event at Fab Magic, in Colon.....it was GREAT...
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Rainboguy!

Thanks for letting me know about Dick's mention.
It reminds me that I will have to get his book!
Where can I buy it, that will allow Dick to profit the most? Directly?....
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2876 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
On the subject of gloves...

When I was much younger (MUCH younger), I played in a school band. For the marching band, we used white cotton gloves. I began using them with tricks like "Gloves to Dove". Later, when I worked at a local magic and costume shop, we sold those same gloves, so naturally I started playing with them involving manipulation.

Wow, that brings back memories!!!

When I was doing the split fans in my cards-and-doves act, I looked at every type of white glove I could find, and eventually settled on cotton parade gloves with snaps. I think I bought them at an Army-Navy surplus store. I kept trying different types, weights, and materials, but always went back to the parade gloves. I believe they're still available at military uniform shops.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
A few card manipulators used grey formal gloves rather than white gloves for fan productions--likely for the extra contrast the gloves made with the white cards that were produced.

----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
10/4 on the "thick" gloves. When I started working on the split fans, I was advised to buy white cotton "allergy" gloves in a drug store. They worked just fine. I still have a pair!

Remind me to tell you about Cardini playing a 'small time' vaude house in upstate New York. Jay Marshall arrived in town for a club date, and noticed Cardini's name on the marquee, and went backstage to visit. He asked Mr "C" why he was playing the 'off Broadway" theater.

Heqq! Nobody reminded me!!! After "hellos" etc. Cardini replied: "I'm breaking in a new suit." With his many and varied steals, he wanted to be SURE that the new suit would not "surprise" him.

Note: I imagine that Geoffrey Buckingham probably needed two or three "break in" dates!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Who Invented Split Fans (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL