The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » RF Transmitters and Receivers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I am looking for RF transmitters and receivers (not the x10). I need the basic units to build several new props. Controllers from RC toys are too large. I would like to find the same size used with the showtec or even the foot switch type used with tipper monkey and such. Anyone have any idea where I can buy just the electronics for my own projects? There must be a supplier for the small remotes as used in all of these and even the snake basket.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Christopher,

I punched "RF Remote" into Google and came up with a couple of good places for you to start:

http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/RemoteControl.htm
http://www.rentron.com/RF-Remote.htm

Jeff
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Hey I am trying one from Radio Shack. It is one used for key-less entry on cars.

Small remote and 12V battery.

This one has four chanels and is about $60.00.

I'll let you know how it is working.

Kent
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
You sound as though you have the necessary electronic skills, Christopher, to do as I do: take the guts out of R/C toys (cars, etc.) and just use the boards. The "Radio Controlled Whoopee Cushion" available in the joke section of any magic shop (or zillions of other shops) has a tiny transmitter the size of a matchbook and a receiver board equally small. Costs ten bucks or less.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Sounds like a great use of toys, play with it first till you get bored and then when you are ready to set it aside, tear it apart and make magic happen. In my case it would be magical if it did anything after I tore it apart.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
It's the "Day After Christmas" gag: the little sweethearts have usually smashed everything by then and I just paw through the debris and help myself. Garage sales are another goldmine: "Does this thing work?" "No." "I'll give you a dime." "Ahhh... just take it."
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Velman makes a solid rig with encoded keys.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Update on remote...
Radio Shack one did not do all that I needed it to so I picked up another one (don't remember the brand, I'm at home right now)

This one has four channels and many various program choices.

The problem with the RS brand was I would need "latching" relays (about $30 each) to run motors. This new controller has multi pulse output and constant output. It was $75.00 and worth it.

I will be making more effects and I can use the same receiver for them. (Just a different wiring harness)

I like the idea about using the small RF controls from cars and the electronic whoopee cushions. They would work great for small applications.

If you would like more info about what I am doing or would like something built PM me and we’ll talk.

Later
Kent
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
The cheap boards from toys give a triggered output up to the capacity of the receiver, usually three to six volts. That is more than enough to "gate" an SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) that will pass a much higher voltage, or to trip a microminiature relay. You can also cascade these to control any voltage or amperage you want.
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
Doing the toy thing is really hokey and prone to interference because the signal is not coded.
I use a 14-buck remote doorbell (everything battery powered)from home depot, that I hack to add a relay. The cool thing with this is the RF signal is coded and decoded and you can set different address codes to make you signal unique.
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
The effect I am using the remote for is working great. I am using at a county fair three times a day without fail! woo hoo!

Kent
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Hi BloodyJack,

I'm interested in seeing these remote doorbells. But how do you change the code. U need an electroncs engineer or it the code changeing facility in the bell itself where we jsut open and change.

Thanks

Hi Kent, Can you give me some of your ideas how to make or get a simple remote to trigger three solenoids or servo arms. Id appreciate it if you could share your ideas. Thanks.
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Plainman007,

The remotes I have worked with send a pulse to trigger a relay to transfer the main power. You can PM me with more about what you are trying to do and I will try to help you with inexpensive ways to accomplish what you are trying to do.

If all works as well as it has been I will have several remote items that will work with the same system. That will save money in the long run!

Kent
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
Good news
The code is changed by moving little connectors that short out pins its all explained in the document that comes with the doorbell.
Bad news
I am a electronics engineer and you do have to modifiy the electronics to operate a relay. If I ever get time I will put up a web site on how to do this
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » RF Transmitters and Receivers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL