The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Multiple truths (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
If you believe what I believe you'll enjoy the time you spend with me.
If not....NEXT!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
John-

If I believed what you believe, I'd probably end up DOING time with you. Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I received two PM's from folks asking why I was not posting on this thread. It is heartening to know that people other than posters actually read these threads.

The answer is simple. I mostly agree with what is being said and the OP postured that these are just some of the possible truths.

I respect the experience behind each poster's opinions. No reason to post just to say, "me too."

Silence does not mean that I do no think other truths are equally important, or more so. Those opinions are just not appropriate here.

I am learning a couple of new things herein, and that is good. I have been prompted to review some previous posts by some posting on this thread for congruency or support of the idea.

For me, the importance of this thread is helping some answer the question, "should I become a Mentalist?"

To the extent that my supporting opinion will encourage continuance --

go for it guys!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, IAIN wrote:
I didn't want to cloud the threads of people arguing over mentalism and magic...and what I want to say is a bit further away from that discussion anyway...

but first...

i think that we argue about it from the wrong viewpoint - it ultimately is in the eye of the beholder (or beer-holder)...for some people, no matter what you do or how strong it is - they will internalise it as a trick...might be a mighty fine mystifying one...but a trick regardles...

(insert people who will say the opposite here, but with extreme examples, rather than realistic ones)

there are multiple truths out there - always and forever...that will never change...so people will attribute meaning and labels based from their own viewpoint... and that branches from "its all tricks" to "oh my goodness, he/she is gifted with some kind of psychic ability!" and all things inbetween...

the argument is really one of consistency - if you go to an italian place for food, you would not expect to be served a microwaved chinese ready meal would you? and yet, maybe there's an unusual angle of someone doing an italian-asian influenced/hybrid dish...that might spoil the atmosphere, or it might get people talking...

here's the trouble - its usually exceptionally gifted and talented people who can make it work...and they are few and far between...that doesn't mean you can't try or aim for something different...it just means you have to be very self-critical/honest with yourself...and that is something not very many people are capable of doing...

to support that argument - go watch the early weeks of the x-factor auditions...plenty of people utterly convinced that they are different, already stars, that their way works - when it honestly doesn't...and no amount of telling them will change that...ever...its always someone or something else's fault...they do not see or hear what the world sees...

and that cuts both ways - we may have read all the best italian cookery books, had lessons maybe, tried it out ourselves - and because of that, you think you're on the right path...you might be, but you need to let others taste what you've cooked...YOU might like it, I mean, most people can enjoy the smell of their own farts if they have to (some are proud), but it doesn't mean others wanna try it...

none of this means you have to stop - it just means until you are prepared to stop, share, and take the feedback on the chin, it won't ever change... I mean, you charge ahead and build a restaurant, get the flyers printed, even pay small sites to give you good reviews or even psuedo made up awards for your place (when really you've just be judged against no one else, or people in different categories)...

there's a smart way of doing it though - you can listen, share, try it out... I would say if you got the chance to study under a master of pasta making, you'd wanna grab that chance...because you get to absorb their thoughts - that doesn't mean you copycat...you use them as the backbone, the safety net, safe in the knowledge that something works a certain way... THEN you can experiment, rinse and repeat...take it back to the master pasta maker, and if you feel its going nowhere, you can still thank them for their time and go your separate ways, with respect and honesty throughout...

isn't that wild?

i don't think mentalism will ever die out - because there will always be those out there who want to make a living from it, and will learn the hard way (sooner or later) that the holes in their recipe become too apparent to others,...and again, the ones who become trailblazers, who add something new - we need to acknowledge that we are all not that...sometimes our skills are elsewhere, and what we want to be may not be our best version of "we"...again, never stop trying, yet also if you do discover something in what you do that others can't/won't do - then be glad and work even harder on it....play to your strengths...

i am highly disorganised at times, I do not think I could "work it" full time, and generally I have worked very hard on what I want to achieve, and what my failings are (too many to list)...however, at all times, I have felt it my duty to self-educate as best I can...and part of that is studying and listening to those who HAVE done things that I never could...

if I were a butcher, I would never tell a surgeon how to make a cut - even though both our jobs require dexterity, thought, a subtle touch and deep concentration...even though I understand certain things carry over...and no matter how close they are in some weird ways - they are still different enough for me to try my hand at butchery without consulting a butcher...

there is so much joy to be had in magic and mentalism, why not take pride in the differences? ever looked into the word magician and abracadabra? definitely not cheesy and spangly waistcoated...what is missing is pride and respect more than anything else..

you can learn it all, you can strive to understand all the views out there and find the path that you feel most comfortable walking...reading up on all the greats - don't you see how different they all are? and how some contradict the other? but the thing is, it works for the individual - because they are consistent...

character development is the hardest thing to clarify - especially in this modern age...and yet we worry about the labels we call ourselves, without digging deep into the history of all the allied arts...

here's the funny thing, with this thread - if anyone replies, they will take everything I have said and it will run through their own personal world-view filter... and we will get counter upon counter arguments...

which is perfectly natural - and is the exact same thing people do who watch you entertain others...

my other thought is that sometimes, frameworks and structures can sometimes be so rigid that they become either brittle or too suffocating...and no matter what else is added, it will never be good enough...

do you want what you do to be seen as real? why? what is the positive and negative of that?
do you want what you do to be seen as a possibility? why? pros and cons

what do you want?
why do you want it?
what are its pros and cons?
can you make it interesting, unique and workable?
can you make some kind of living from it? do you want to?
if you do, who would be best to listen to and why?
what if you don't like what you hear? why don't you like it?

we spend too much time asking the small mundane questions on forums, and often steer away from the bigger ones...

Couldn't agree more. +1
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
JarJarJared
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of JarJarJared
I have also not been paying attention to that thread, mostly because everyone continues to feel like it is necessary to argue again and again over semantics. It fascinates me. Everyone seems to have this constant obsession with having everyone else agree with them on words and terms that have only sprouted in to this world very recently. We should stop trying to define these words through more words within a forum, and start trying to define them through our own performances and experiences as mentalists, magicians, and whatever else in between.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, JarJarJared wrote:
I have also not been paying attention to that thread, mostly because everyone continues to feel like it is necessary to argue again and again over semantics. It fascinates me. Everyone seems to have this constant obsession with having everyone else agree with them on words and terms that have only sprouted in to this world very recently. We should stop trying to define these words through more words within a forum, and start trying to define them through our own performances and experiences as mentalists, magicians, and whatever else in between.

Common understanding about definitions are essential to any meaningful conversation. One of the core issues in this thread is what many see as the trivialization of mentalism. Without an understanding of what mentalism is, it's impossible to address, let alone even acknowledge, the problem.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Regarding the trivialization issue - I do believe it happens...its just that its probably always happened - its just that because of social media, forums and so on, that we've become more aware of it - its become more in our collective faces...though there are more people "into" magic and mentalism, I believe less and less are performing it for pay at any point...

if a magician does magic in their act, and then throws in a couple of mentalism pieces, no matter how strong or perfectly performed, the majority of the audience will still go away thinking "great tricks" or "great magic"...

to the audience, the magician is not putting pieces of mentalism or mind-reading, they will (because the person has established themself as a magician at the start) continue to label the performer as "a magician"...everything the audience saw that night will equate to magic and the possibility of any of it being real in any sense will not enter their head at all...

i say all this, not counting any extremes...

if a mentalism does mentalism in their act, and then throws in a couple of magic pieces, and doesn't change the presentation in any meaningful way - then, (apart from being stupid to do that) the audience will either not care, or will be confused because up until the magic happened, it was a *insert mentalism framework here - lets say devoted to telepathic communication* - and now the sponge balls are out...

the magic clown tells a parent what word they picked by magic, because they are a magic clown...maybe the more serious they act, the funnier it is...if a mentalist does the same thing, but is already established, has performed well and consistently - then the comparison will not even enter the mind, surely...

if a mentalist changes the presentation of what is (at heart) a magic trick so it fitted in with their framework, then it would depend on how convincing the performance was and the effect was...they may do this because they want (for example) give a demonstration of influence, done under high pressure in the real world - so they do it with two hands of poker...the mentalist wins time after time, or allows a certain person out of two to endlessly win...

a card-sharp says he's so good at gambling, his sleight of hand is so good, so smooth, so invisible, he can do the same...and a magician lets people shuffle the cards at the beginning, and then as if by magic, he wins and he wins and he wins...its uncanny...

a mentalist performs only mentalism and its a straight, clear line if their presentations and framework are consistent... some people will still see it as tricks, and some will still see it as the real thing, others don't care and just want to be entertained for the evening...

inbetween all of this - are other sub-genres, people who believe we should try and change a life, remove a fear, whatever else - others play it tongue in cheek...bizarrism, story-tellers, gospel magicians, all kinds of stuff...

if we want originality and for things to progress, (and I do not say this to try and upset, annoy or confuse anything) - I honestly believe we have to suffer - at least for a short while - a bit of trivialization...sometimes the plaster gets soaked off and falls off naturally, other times it gets ripped off suddenly... for mentalism to stay healthy - it needs the tradition and the cultural knowledge that goes along with it, the history, the respect...it also needs people prodding at it and experimenting...

and sometimes it'll go horribly wrong - but I do think it'll remain intact...it will still stay healthy one way or the other...and then every now and again - something good will come out of it too...

very briefly, I will touch upon readings - look how that has changed in some ways...and far, far, far for the better...

if you wanted to be a reader, you had all kinds of stuff you could do - but some of it included some not very nice methods - and usually you had to be psychic (pretend or otherwise, but realistic to the punter) - or an intuitive or similar...things had to be a certain way...but then came along the character analysis style of doing it...and then the ways people like scott grossberg or enrique deliver it...there's an artistic edge to it at some angles, maybe a life-coach or empowerment feel to another edge...they are all different and add colour and texture...

i am sure you would find that some of it came about through a natural calling or progression, other times it was just plain kicked around and shoved at with a stick until it became something else...

and I've not even mentioned about personality and sharing things that you personally love in performing...though I do understand I am certainly not in any way someone to listen to - I'm just typing out my own personal thoughts on a forum...we all know what should be the whole of the law...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Iain- What is your response to the statement Mr. Caudel is endorsing that says those of us who believe magic and mentalism should not be mixed are "culturally and artistically ignorant?"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...on the one hand he's entitled to his opinion, but on the other hand I think its a p*ss-poor way of expressing his own personal view of things...

the example of an ACR followed by "mind-reading" in the same set means that because he's established himself as a magician from the get go...the "mind reading" is also a trick, and its something he's doing as a magician...the weight of it, the presentation of it, is all flavoured by "magic"...so the context from the audience's perspective is different whether he accepts it or not...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And to expand further - I would say to have been able to witness Alexander perform back in the day, would have been a wondrous experience...and very far away from being "culturally and artistically ignorant"
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Multiple truths (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL