The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Haunted house/ murder mystery places? help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

noobmagician
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of noobmagician
I'm just wondering if anyone knows a good place where they offer murder mystery weekends or haunted houses where they have actually secert passages, spooky rooms, weird stuff and etc..

I've been looking around but I can't find anything like that around or near NYS. I know they don't have places like this in NYS but I'm hoping that there might be places like that outside of NYS.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
We have the Winchester Mystery house in San Jose, California.

Jim Fassbinder does a San Fransico Ghost Walk in the evenings.

There are Always those...odd places no one likes to talk about, the Kearny mansion in Fresno CA, Tule Lake in King county, a couple of the missions in California, etc.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Here in the Ogden, Utah area we have quite a few locations and ghost haunts. Once a year in Hallow's eve time there are some led tours by the ghost society and such.

I have also been on some paranormal investegations (for my degree) in some very old hotel's, train depots, etc.

Strange stuff but very cool.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
If you're willing to come to Canada I think they have graveyard tours in Victoria, British Columbia.
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
St. Augustine, FL has a pretty cool haunted tour at night and you might have luck in finding some houses if the season is right.
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
For the European Café members, there are midnight graveyard tours in Edinburgh Scotland. Their "pitch" is incredible and some people fall visibly ill and can't finish the tour. This happened during my wife's visit and the tour guide had to help the poor lady out for some fresh air, leaving the rest of the tour group in one of the crypts in *total* darkness. Real or scripted, it was spooky nonetheless.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
noobmagician
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of noobmagician
Ahhh, I was thinking somewhere not to far from New York. I was thinking about gathering some friends up and going out for a weekend vacation. The other places seem a little to far and would take a considerable amount of planning for everyone to align up their vacation time Smile

But thanks for the locations.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I seem to remember the House of the Seven Gables in Salem MA has a secret passage going from one room, up a flight of stairs around the chimney (inside the walls!) and to a bedroom. I've been up the thing a couple of times, but it was many years ago. You may want to contact them (try Google) to verify they have it and you can still go up.

Also, in Newport RI, there is Belcourt Castle, which has (had?) a very nice ghost tour and is a lot of fun. We attended a formal dinner dance there a few years ago, and the place is downright spooky. Google can help here too.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Here's a basic guide to roadside "mystery spots" in the US:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/SCIspots.html

See if you can find one close to you!

We visited the St. Ignace, Michigan Mystery Spot and (hokey "tilted-house" stuff aside) I became convinced there was some sort of gravitational anomaly in operation there. I could literally feel the uncomfortable difference between being in the spot's well-delineated "zone" and standing outside it.

Good luck.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Saint Augustine is VERY popular. The oldest city in the US is bound to have a bunch of ghosts. Too bad that they didn't use the Fountain of Youth just down the street....?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Why scrounge for gothic/antique when you can go realistic-ghetto?

Any semi ruined projects building should work just fine. The ghosts of raids and robberies might be fresher. And the setting could hardly be more truly frightening.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
noobmagician
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of noobmagician
The thing is we wanted to do a get away. Something that we didn't have to do ourselves. A mystery weekend or some horror weekend thing where we get to stay at a creepy place.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How creepy would you like it? I've heard of places where the locals actually call some fellow Americans 'colored' and worse. If you want... there are places where folks hang old German flags with third Reich symbols. There are places where millionaires live not a mile from the homeless.

H. P. Lovecraft would be most impressed.

Italo Calvino already wrote of this in his book Invisible Cities, though he was polite and made it a fable.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Hi, noobmagician. By "NYS" to you mean New York? Perhaps you'd consider Gettysburg, PA. It's very haunted, and has a couple of good ghost tours (and several haunted B&Bs) for you to enjoy.
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
In NYC try the Morris-Jumal Manssion.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Allen Gittelson
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
145 Posts

Profile of Allen Gittelson
Jim Fassbinder's Ghost Walk is a wonderful lantern lit night time stroll through San Francisco's haunted history. I've enjoyed it many times and everyone I've sent has told me they also enjoyed it. You can see his site and information about it at: http://www.sfghosthunt.com

Just go.

One question: What is NYS?
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
Many many many haunted house and locations can be found online

http://www.ghoststudy.com

they have a great forum of pictures and haunted houses and stories.
For local places state by state.
a very large index is at

http://theshadowlands.net/places/

the shadowlands also have the largest amount of personal ghost experiences on the net (7100)

a treasure trove of stories to use for patter.

JudgeBean
noobmagician
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of noobmagician
Thanks, I will look into it some more. The hardest part of this whole thing is that some of us are really into the whole creepy spirit/ghouls/senace and ghost hunting thing. And the others(mostly the girls) are more into the G - PG13 kinda spooky. Like Great Adventure Themed "halloween" hay rides (which happens during halloween), and the Disney Haunted house ride. Or something like the movie "The Haunting" but with more of a disney twist. So I'm trying to find a compromise between the two. Something that'll definitely add enough chills but not very hard core or freaky. None of the girls wanted to do actual ghost hunting or vist an actual documented haunted house(foreget about staying overnight in one).

But we did take votes and it was agreed that staying at a fun creepy or "themed" place is a must. No one wanted to just stay at a normal hotel or a normal house. That seems to be the hardest part. I think once I can solve that problem the rest should be easier.
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
Noob

I went to the octagon house in washington dc. (the second most haunted house in washington dc) The historical tour was great and tho the house was small it was rich in hisotry. BUT go down to the cellar tof the slave area and it gets spooky (in the day time) so there is something for everyone if you go on a historical tour and yet you know the haunted history beside the normal history.
yeah I know its off topic but a lot of really good bizarre effect have a historical basis and a underlying spooky basis.
happy hunting
Judge Bean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Haunted house/ murder mystery places? help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL