We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Re-Learning tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MyLastGamble
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of MyLastGamble
Hey everyone! I have taken a magic-practice hiatus over the past few years trying to get my career under way. I am getting back into it and will be re-reading the Royal Road to Card Magic and starting to fine tune some more advance techniques. I was curious as to how other people tackle more technique-extensive books like Expert Card Technique. I've owned this book for about 5 years but have yet to read most of it. Is it better to go through everything? Or more beneficial to pick out a technique from each chapter and then maybe come back to it? Just curious as while I know a lot I mostly do simple stuff and as I get back in I am looking to up my game some. Any advice is appreciated!
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
It depends on what you want to do. If you are interested in learning card sleight of hand for the sake of it, start off with Royal Road, Expert Card Technique, Card College or whatever source you have and learn all you can. If you are interested in doing professional card magic, you don't really need to learn every move in any one book or multiple books. For that matter, if you want to do good card magic for non-magicians, then you don't really need all that many moves. If you have a couple of dependable controls, a good DL, a false shuffle that at least retains part of the deck order--even better if you learn one that retains the entire order--that helps, a false cut or two, maybe a palm or two, then you can do a lot of good card magic. Add in some false counts--EC/GC, JC, FC--etc and you've got more weapons in your arsenal.
Also, keep in mind that with Royal Road or any other book any move you learn will have to be adjusted slightly for your own individual hands. No two pairs of hands are exactly alike and while this may seem obvious--particularly to someone who has been into magic before--a lot of people new to magic or getting back into it after sometime get very frustrated when a book tells them that their hand should be in a certain position and the move doesn't work for them that way.
I hope this helps!
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1087 Posts

Profile of mlippo
If you are willing to spend a little extra dough, I warmly suggest you to buy Card College volumes 1 & 2. More updated than RRTCM and (vol. 2) has a wonderful chapter on theory. I learnt so much from those 100 pages!

mark
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2932 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Good advice above... For me, I learned moves/techniques in the context of a routine. For example: Paul Harris'
Tap Dancing Aces or J. C Wagner's Dyslexic Queens. There are so many moves going on but you learn them in context.
You learn to transition from one sleight to the other smoothly in a way that is needed to make to routine make sense. Plus it's
more enjoyable for the student instead of just learning a particular move/sleight without using them in the context of a routine .
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8467 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good luck finding a copy, but many thousands have started in card magic with my book, CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC, and others. Or so they've told me.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Good luck finding a copy...

Readily available for $20.00.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
MyLastGamble
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of MyLastGamble
Thanks, Everyone! I have read Royal Road already, and looking to read it again to brush up on some stuff. I have a few "techniques" I use on a daily basis but just looking to branch out more, learn more and work on some of what I know as I feel you can always be better. All of the advice has been helpful!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2871 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Card College all the way! It pays off even years and decades after your purchase.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Re-Learning tips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL