The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Galaxy is just not that strong. What's up? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Harry Lorayne wrote:
A bit of research might remind you of OUT OF THIS UNIVERSE and my IMPROMPTU OOTW.

This is a good answer here Smile

Also Eugene Burger teaches a fantastic version in his Penguin Live Lecture AND Greg Rostrami's Cosmos is also good.

Luke Jermay, in my opinion, has a great presentation which has some audience involvement. It's a really nice presentation that could wake everyone's energy up before you get into the crescendo of the routine. This routine can be done with Greg's Cosmos.

Check it out at least.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
@lynnef,

Thanks for encouraging me to think about it as a red-black theme. In that respect, Oil and Water is one presentation approach and Out of this World is another. I think those are the only two red-black theme effects that I know. Which others are out there?

Shaun

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like Lennart Green's method for the R/B separation which is highly unusual.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Shayde Phoenix
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
116 Posts

Profile of Shayde Phoenix
Perhaps you should explain that you live on TINY Salt Spring Island, where you teach youngsters advanced card concepts such as memorised deck work using the Joyal Stack, etc.

On a VERY SMALL island.

Perhaps you have been teaching OOTW too.

You can hardly call yourself a Magician when you give your power away...
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, shaunluttin wrote:
I think those are the only two red-black theme effects that I know. Which others are out there?

Forgot the name, but there's an effect with 4 reds here and four blacks there, you put a red in the blacks, a black in the red, and yet, you still have four reds here and four blacks there. Then you repeat by moving two cards at a time, then three. Simple to do, I love it.

P!
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1945 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Sounds like Follow The Leader.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
@Ado and @Claudio, Follow the Leader sounds fun Smile

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I ended up switching in Whack Your Pack in place of Galaxy. The former played *way* better in the spot. Thank you all for dialoguing with me about it!

eusbanger
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of eusbanger
Whack your pack is a relly funny piece, I love it and the bet is always entertaining for the spectators.
good choice!!!
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Thanks eusbanger. There a lot of room for byplay in it Smile. I dream of doing it strictly with second deals and top changes ;-).

eusbanger
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of eusbanger
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2015, shaunluttin wrote:
Thanks eusbanger. There a lot of room for byplay in it Smile. I dream of doing it strictly with second deals and top changes ;-).

well.. I don't know if that is a good idea... at least when I present it, I take "the card" veeery clearly and they are always looking at you.
I think that the dl is way more easy to perform in that moment than the second d and top change
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Bazookas! Maybe that's why Galaxy wasn't working for me?! I was doing it all with top changes ;-) Back to the drawing board.

Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
As with all magical deceptions, pulling it off depends on making the correct solution appear to be impossible or unlikely. With OOTW, I sometimes like to spread the randomly mixed deck face up before giving it to the participant face down. No switches required.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2015, Mike Ince wrote:
As with all magical deceptions, pulling it off depends on making the correct solution appear to be impossible or unlikely. With OOTW, I sometimes like to spread the randomly mixed deck face up before giving it to the participant face down. No switches required.

Oooh. That sounds interesting.

Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Yes, I do that (what Mike indicated).
TH

Occupy Your Dream
aposjf12
View Profile
New user
New York City
96 Posts

Profile of aposjf12
A little late to this post. In my experience whenever OOTW gets a lackluster reaction it is because I chose the wrong trick for the audience. I'm a bar magician. The people I perform for enjoy fast, visual and to the point effects. Invisible deck, Red hot Momma, Kundalini Rising etc....

I've performed OOTW and the people who respond well to it are usually older, have a scientific mind, and play cards regularly. A young table of attractive women will not enjoy OOTW.

The audience needs patience for this effect. Lots of shuffling and dealing. There are only two versions I perform - Galaxy and Loraynes Out of this universe. For the lorayve version you need someone who shuffles well and deals quickly. Its a one off trick. But if ive picked my audiince correctly Lorayne's version is a mind buster. It seems so impossible. especially if you emphasize the impossible nature of the dealing and shuffling. Pointing out the "test conditions."

Finally if a trick just isn't getting the reaction you want you may just have to dump it. I love the Koran newspaper prediction. For a bar audience that effect is boring. For a small show in someones living room its a stunner. different tricks for different audiences.
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Interesting thread --I have done OOTW to very good reactions in close up situations.
I seldom do it though--
It is not a go to effect for me --but it does come in handy at times.

The length of the effect does keep me from doing it very often.

thanks for all the contributions above! A lot to think about
Mike the Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Galaxy is just not that strong. What's up? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL