The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fave magic book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
Hi all,

What is your favourite magic book in your magic library. Mine is The Art of Magic and Sleight of Hand by Nicholas Einhorn or Royal Road To Card Magic.
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I second RRTCM. The wealth of knowledge in this tome is extraordinarily useful.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
The Magic of Michael Ammar gets my vote.

HÃ¥kan
:wavey:
tollamus
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tollamus
RRTCM and Expert at the Card Table
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Larry Becker's Stunners Plus is my current favorite magical arts-type of book.

Jay
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I am very lucky to recently acquire a new favorite book, Mystery School by Jeff McBride, Eugene Burger and many other great magical thinkers. It covers everything from performance to theory to effects and beyond. Not just a book, a treasure chest of knowledge and inspiration.

Before that, my favorite to read was Magic & Meaning by Eugene Burger and Bob Neale. Great stuff.

-Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
huggie50
View Profile
Regular user
North Las Vegas
109 Posts

Profile of huggie50
The Magic of Michael Ammar and The Magic of Brother John Hammam are my hands-down favorite books.
Magically yours,
Huggie
pxs
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of pxs
The James File is chock full of fantastic effects and, even better, clever thinking.
powen
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of powen
13 Steps to Mentalism (Corinda) is not only great for mentalism, but also a goldmine of ideas on subtle deception.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
It will have to be between AOA, Smoke and Mirrors, The Books of Wonder, Tarbell, Practical Mental Magic, Mind, Myth and Magic and Modern Coin Magic.

But I'll settle with AOA.

Andre
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic...I still do routines from that book I learned 13 years ago. It was a great introduction to magic and probably helped shape where I am today.
The last thing you ever expected, should have been the first.
ToPher
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere
120 Posts

Profile of ToPher
The Complete Works of Derek Dingle
alexanderN
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
72 Posts

Profile of alexanderN
Mastering the Art of Magic by Eugene Burger is very good, not for the tricks, more for the theory.!
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
I have to say Tricks With Your Head by Mac King. It's really funny and has loads of cool and gross magic tricks with, well only, your head (popping your eye, taking a straw from your nose, putting your thumb through your ear...)

Best regards tom
What is real and what is an illusion ? it all depends on your perception, reality is only limited by the boundries of the imagination, and imagination can defy the laws of everything - Criss Angel
ollason
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ollason
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, RRTCM and Bobo
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
CoinMagic by Richard Kaufman. Will there ever be a second volume? That would be fantastic.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, is one of the best all around books to start a new magician. That book is a WEALTH of basic knowledge, plus is a great launching pad for the more sophisticated books stated above. I think Greater Magic is good as well, but hard to find. Routined Manipulation by Ganson's a must.

Then, I would suggest the specialty books, i.e. The Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic (hardcover) for coin work...

For cards: Royal Road..., Card College series, Counts Cuts Moves & Subtlety by Jerry Mentzer, Focus by Phil Goldstein, to name just a few...

Silks: Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, volumes 1-4

I'm just as partial to Art of Astonishment by Paul Harris and Impossibilia & Smoke and Mirrors by John Bannon, but those all build on classic effects, not really beginner books.

Hope this helps! Smile

Doug
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
That's a tough one, with so many good books in my library, but if I had to choose one it would be Lorayne's Apocalypse series. Now that's four books to cover all 20 volumes and may not count, but if only one physical book is my choice, then I would opt for Richard's Almanac. These would give me plenty of great magic to enjoy.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
A few of my favorites are Strong Magic, The Dai Vernon Book of Magic, and (now that I've gotten more interested in coins) Modern Coin Magic (the Magic Inc. hardcover).
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Expert At The Card Table
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fave magic book (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL