The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fave magic book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
permagician
View Profile
New user
california
2 Posts

Profile of permagician
I can't believe no one has said The Art of Astonishment by Paul Harris yet!!! I absolutely love these books, especially volume 1. This is a must for every magic library. Be sure to pick it up sometime!!!
At that moment of trying to box the unboxable our world view breaks up. Th boxes are gone. And what's left? Simply what was always there. Your natural state of mind. That's the moment of astonishment. -Paul Harris
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
The book that completely changed the way I thought about cards was Darwin Ortiz At The Card Table. It certainly isn't a book for beginners or even intermediates to some extent. I thought I would mention it though.
Who is John Galt?
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
580 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Expert Card Technique holds a special place in my heart. It was one of the first "heavy" card books I read and I still marvel at its wealth of technique, effects, and sage advice.

However, Derren Brown's Absolute Magic is making a strong move for first place. What I read in those pages revolutionized my thinking about magic.

I'd also like to give a nod to those who mentioned Burger's great books, particularly Magic and Meaning, as well as giving kudos to The Books of Wonder.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

If the house is on fire and I can grab just one book, it would be Jim Cellini's "The Royal Touch." It touches on just about everything you need to know to perform at faires, festivals or on the streets -- good tricks, tips, and insights.

That's my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
Absolute Magic.
filem
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of filem
Maybe Darwin Ortiz' Strong Magic?
gerrardlo
View Profile
New user
Manchester
34 Posts

Profile of gerrardlo
Definitely the RRTCM would gain my vote. It covers all the basic sleights for a beginner and is written in an easy format!
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
My favourite book is Greater Magic. Look at it and you will see why.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
didgemagic
View Profile
New user
California
35 Posts

Profile of didgemagic
Mike Close Workers. I enjoyed the theory in there.

Didgemagic
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
Undoubtedly, Mark Wilson's Complete Course has been the most influential beginning book that I've found. He helps establish a firm foundation of the basics of magic that are absolutely necessary. I still refer back to it regularly!
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
For me, RRTCM was the first "real" magic book I bought, so it's kind of special to me. For card magic it's still me favorite since it establishes such a firm foundation.

Eric
dogwood86
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of dogwood86
David Regal's Constant Fooling vol. 1 is a fun read and I enjoy reading through my only volume of card colledge. volume 3.
magic soul
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
112 Posts

Profile of magic soul
I think probably my favorite books are the art of astonishment series by paul Harris and the reprint of the pallbearers review by karl Fulves but it is really difficult with so many books to choose from.andy
andy
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of ashah
I just got "The Magic of Michael Ammar", and I am just amazed. This book has enough stuff to last me years.

Books really are the best investment one can make in magic.
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
My favorite would have to be The Annotated Erdnase by Darwin Ortiz.

However, it isn't the book I use the most. My most useful book would have to be Strong Magic, again by Darwin Ortiz.

The most motivational is Eugene Bergers Experience of Magic. Also great for magic theory and a new take on things.

The book that has the greatest number of effects I perform would be Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz, I probably perform 6-7 effects from this book.
shane079
View Profile
New user
ga
33 Posts

Profile of shane079
I would have to say AOA is very good and almost never ending..and RRTCM is in it's own league..
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
huggie50
View Profile
Regular user
North Las Vegas
109 Posts

Profile of huggie50
The Magic of Michael Ammar is my all time favorite book.
Magically yours,
Huggie
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
My favourite book would also have to be Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic.
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
Theatrical Close-up by Peter Samelson. We can only hope that he will some day share some more with the community.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fave magic book (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL