The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Houdini First Day Covers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
For the folks like me that do not have a lot of investment money, good Houdini items don't even exist. I have found a way around this and have been collecting Houdini first day covers off of ebay and out of shops that I am going to have matted and framed in sets.

Now you don't just want to pick up any old covers unless you want a couple to frame as decoration. The covers that you want for investment are limited in edition. These were produced in limited runs and are numbered.

The best investments are obviously the smallest runs, and you want to look for runs under 50 total production. These production runs are as small as 5 or 6 total but usualy around 35 or so. They should be visibly numbered like: 17/27 or 24/35 etc.

If you own, say 1 out of 5 in existence, as time goes on you can expect a top dollar return. The best ones available right now are IMO the Mary Fisher hand painted covers and the plate block covers as well as the small runs.

Take my advice, 10 years from now you won't be able to touch the short runs for less than fifty bucks, and the hand painted ones, considerably more, and if matted and framed much more.

Now I'm done buying, because I own my share of them, so I'm passing this on. Usual disclaimer: Don't invest based on anything except your own judgement.

UPDATE: Feb 27, 2004

Mary fisher wrote to me and she is selling the last of her hand painted watercolor Houdini first day covers. You may purchase these or contact her on ebay.

These are produced and postmarked on the day the Houdini stamp was issued. There will never be anymore of these ever made.

There are two different styles: Regular and Cambridge each is numbered and signed.

Regular
Total worldwide production: 27
Left for sale: 2

Cambridge
Total worldwide production: 35
Left for sale: 9
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Houdini First Day Covers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL