We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 1 ball 3 cups? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the magic mercat
View Profile
New user
Under the sea.
21 Posts

Profile of the magic mercat
Hello,

I am looking for any resources on doing a cups and balls routine with three cups but only one ball or rather seemingly one ball.

Kind of like a shell game with cups and a ball.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
WORK IT OUT YOURSELF
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I believe there was a routine that was marketed some time back called cyclops that was like that. Though I'm not totally sure but at least you can google it as a starting spot maybe.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1152 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2015, the magic mercat wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for any resources on doing a cups and balls routine with three cups but only one ball or rather seemingly one ball.

Kind of like a shell game with cups and a ball.

Any ideas?

Thank you

You might just search the Café for "shell game routines", find one or two you really like, and then try & figure out a way to do them with cups & balls paraphernalia.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
A combo set makes this sort of thing almost self-working.
the magic mercat
View Profile
New user
Under the sea.
21 Posts

Thanks everyone,

I do appreciate the help.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9116 Posts

Profile of funsway
My book "Ball, Cup & Me" touches on all combinations of containers and Balls:

One cup, one ball
One cup, many balls,
Two cups, one ball,
Two cups, several balls,
Additional cups, alternate cups, etc.

Theory and effects.

"Chop Sign" also touches on the use of several cups and one apparent ball.

Remember, the hand is a container too, and cups can be viewed as substitute hands.

you might find something you can adapt to your needs.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
the magic mercat
View Profile
New user
Under the sea.
21 Posts

Pete you know I asked "THE TRICK BRAIN" about my little magic problem and it gave me the exact same answer!!!
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Reverend Biro makes an excellent point. There's more learning, originality and satisfaction in developing your own routine.
the magic mercat
View Profile
New user
Under the sea.
21 Posts

Yes Reverend Biro has a good point, I am assuming that it is a point made from a desire to see more innovation in magic not just seeing the same old stale half baked poorly done renditions of someone else's work, which is indeed a good desire. I agree that one should always strive for a original routine, that being said if I wanted to build a new kind of car the first thing I would do is go find someone who knew all about cars and find out everything I could about how the cars that presently existed worked and then make my attempt at innovation.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2045 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
If I have seen further than other men, it is because they wrote things for me to use as a starting point instead of reinventing the whole thing again and again.

I love seeing what other people have done because that is often what I need to get the lateral thinking happening. That was the greatest value to me with Pete Biro's book on linking rings, for example.

That said, I think the suggestion to look into the shell game routines might be the best place to start. Since the premise is so similar, you can even start with the shells and pea, then "notice" that it is sort of hard to see from any distance. Pull out the cups. Final loads could be the shells, if you wanted. Perhaps with a corny line like "this sort of thing always drives me nuts."

Just thinking with my fingers.

-Patrick
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2015, BeThePlunk wrote:
Reverend Biro makes an excellent point. There's more learning, originality and satisfaction in developing your own routine.

Then again, If a magician has spent decades testing and improving an effect there is rarely a rational reason to reinvent it.
You may feel like a genious by developing a bias ply rubber tire for your own car... but one day when you find there are steel belted radial tires that are better and have been around for decades you would rightly feel like you wasted a lot of time.

Asking new magicians to make their own magic is like insisting new scientists only use their own discoveries to build on. Don't read Newton, or Einstein, or Tesla, be an original!

So, to the Author of the post: read a bit, I can't tell you where you could look, I know "School for Scoundrels" had a giant 3 shell trick available a while ago. Maybe you could look around to other forums. Somewhere someone has been working on what you want to do. I bet he has some good stuff.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 1 ball 3 cups? (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL