We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dan White, The Magician (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5542 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I know this may not be the place to post this, but it's where I hang around the most, so...
Super pumped about seeing this show in August. Not sure what to expect, but the hotel looks cool, and the attitude of the show seems more on the mysterious side than most magic shows, so, we're going.
http://www.nomadupstairs.com
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Have not seen it yet but I have a pal who works the show and I have only heard good things about Dan's show.
I think you are in for a good time Wiz!
Also...try and get any seat available for Hamilton the musical....every afternoon there is a lottery for 10 dollar front row tickets...hit the theater at 5:00 and add your name and you could be possibly win two tickets each for a Hamilton that night..a "Ham for Ham".
I have seen a great deal of theater while living in NYC and Hamilton is among the very best theater experiences I have ever had. Seriously impacting and thrilling.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
I have seen the show and it is great! You will enjoy every minute of it including the popcorn. Keep an eye out for the lottery prediction effect (blatant plug for Cesaral CUPP);)

Here is one of the many rave reviews for Dans show...... http://stagebuddy.com/reviews/magic-revi......magician
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5542 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks Rudy. Now I'm even more pumped!

Eddie, thanks for the tip. I wish we had more time...Hamilton is getting great reviews.

Gotta find time to geek out at this place: http://www.fpnyc.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5542 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Back from NYC and had a fantastic time. Never tire of that town.

This trip our son, who was interning at Late Night with Seth Meyers, treated us to VIP tickets for last Thursday's show with guest Kristen Wiig. What a great experience seeing this show recorded and what goes on behind the scenes. Kristen was hilarious, and her bit with Fred Armisen was gold...
http://www.wired.com/2015/08/best-week-tv-70

Also had time to visit the new Whitney Museum. If you are into modern and contemporary art...specifically American...this is quite the experience. The building is as beautiful as the contents.
http://whitney.org/?gclid=CO60tsPdsMcCFQ6raQodDG4E0w

But Friday night is when we went to see Dan White, The Magician. All I can say is that the evening was magical. I know. That's an obvious statement, but I mean it on a broad level. First, the venue that Dan chose was perfect. The NoMad Hotel is a stunning hotel north of Madison Park (the NoMad district) and situated in a run-down part of the garment district, which makes it even more incredible. The hotel is impeccably conceived and is like a mysterious jewel waiting to be discovered. We didn't stay at the hotel unfortunately, but I wish we did. Everything about the building...inside and out...is dark elegance. Perfect for a night of magic.

So, from the very beginning of this experience Dan shrouds the event with mystery. Once you purchase your tickets, you are given just enough information to get yourself to the show. Clues involving a woman in white. I shouldn't say more.

Without giving too much away, the theater is exactly the right size. Parlor magic is alive and well in Manhattan. Dan customized the room in subtle ways that made it completely his, from the lighting to the posters on the walls. The NoMad is renown for its food and drink...expect the same here. The popcorn...my God.

And the performance itself...perfect. I was the only magician in our group of four, and was probably more amazed at what I saw than they were. There is an effect involved where everyone is given something and invited to participate at the same time. My brain is still hurting trying to figure it out. Maybe it exists in a book...I don't know...I just loved that feeling of being totally fooled. Again, I don't want to give too much away here, as the evening is meant to be a mystery, but the other stand out was the levitation. Regarding method, there was nothing new, but Dan took the performance to another level, and than some. I have never in my life seen a more graceful, almost spiritual rendition of this classic plot. The levitation was done in the middle of the room. Completely surrounded. And people were literally left speechless...except for the gasps.

I will be remembering this show for a long, long time. Is magic real? No matter the answer, this event was unreal. And that was answer enough. Bravo Dan.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Quick question: how long was the performance? And I assume drinks were not included?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5542 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm guessing each half was about 45 minutes, with a 15 minute or so intermission.

The popcorn is included with the price...do not underestimate this statement.

Drinks however, were not included. If they were, that would be real magic.
jsereb
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of jsereb
Saw this last night..really great...from the setting, atmosphere, pacing, etc. Was unfamiliar with Mr. White prior to reading reviews of this show and took a while to get tix because it is always sold out. Dan does several classics but adds delightful twists to make them his own and really engages the audience, who were truly mystified! Highly recommended.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dan White, The Magician (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL