The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Pet Peeves when learning from and dealing with other magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Or just kill him Smile

James
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
It seems that every time I would go to meet some other magicians for a drink after the show they would vanish!
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
Popo,

Not if you went to have a drink with one of the magicians down here in Key West. We take our drinking very seriously. As they say, "Key West is a drinking town with a tourist problem." Or something like that. The only thing vanishing down here is my liver.

:-)

Alan
Remember: Al G. is just another way to say pond scum.
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
My pet peeve...

CaptainGenericPoster composes and submits a post, asking about something, looking for advice or maybe just curious about how other magi do a particulare thing.

The resulting thread goes like this...

>Usefull bit of information.
>Request for clarification on what exactly is being asked.
>Comment that in Secret Sessions we can speak more freely.
>Thanks for clarification, plus usefull/wanted information.
>Buy this book/effect/video, it's all about your question (Or it has a lot of information about your question), I can't tell you anything else about it withough violating someone's copyright/tipping the method.
>PM me with your email address, I can't really talk about this on the public forums.

All of the above are fine. They make this place great.

My peeve is when the following occurs...

>Buy this book/effect/video, it's on a totaly unrelated topic, but has a paragraph about this.
or...
>Buy this book/effect/video, even though you were asking for the way other people do things as a sort of survey to see who's-doing-what. *Highjacks the thread, reducing it to an infomercial promoting various books but not producing any actual information.*

I'm not against recomending books/effects/videos in here, but when people post ONLY to push their, or a friends product it gets to me.
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Firedice.

I would be hard pressed to not choke the *****out of that guy!

Anyway, my peeves? Three words. Pride, ego, jealousy!

(Oh, I guess you could add a smart a** attitude to that list also.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
233 Posts

Profile of avimagic
When I first moved to Boca Raton, Florida about 12 years ago, I received the Chamber of Commerce membership directory and saw that there was 1 magician listed there.

I called him up to introduce myself, said that I had just moved to town, and wanted to know what kind of resources there were for magicians in the area... Where were the good magic shops, club meetings, and how was the Chamber?

He said, "I guess you'll have to find out the same way I did: Through trial and error." And with that, he ended the conversation.

Funny... He turns out to be an OK performer (not fabulous-- just OK), but I never met anyone who liked him personally. I guess there are just people like that.

Avi

P.S. "G", if you're reading this... Lighten up!!!
Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
My Pet Peeve's are egos. I've been practicing and performing for over 12 years. I admit there's a lot I have to learn; however, I have watched other magicians perform who would flash, do moves poorly, etc..., and ask them what they thought about a routine I was doing, and they would get an air of superiority about them. On other occasions, I'd see a routine from a magician, I'd mention it was okay but there was flash, etc..., and in return I'd get a defensive comment.

Bottom line, if someone is performing and doesn't want my opinion, fine. If it's a great performance, I feel they should get the praise they DESERVE. BUT, if a performance is poor, or even bad, and they ask and I'm honest, please, CHECK THE EGO AT THE DOOR. Am I alone here?

-J
polstein
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of polstein
I've a couple to add:

From posts in Cards about Stripper Decks: People regressing to their childhoods and doing a beavis/butthead over the word "Stripper."

From local store: Going in for a book or effect, and having them pitch everything under the sun. The funny part was they kep stearing me away from the things I actually wanted to buy!

Nothing to do with magic, but drives me nuts: People shopping at grocery stores. Aisle is just big enough for 2 shopping carts. People stop their cards in an aisle, and stand next to the card, effectivly blocking the aisle. Or stopping where there is a box blocking 1/2 the aisle, and they block the other 1.2. *&@%(&^%!

Phil
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
My pet peeve... Was when magicians used to come into my Fathers magic shop and think that they were great magicians.

Then they would get all upset that I was better and then they used the excuse that the reason I was better was that my Father was a magician and he tought me...

I come from a family of six kids and I am the only magician in the bunch.

My Father did not teach me magic. I learned like everyone else did from books - magicians I used to hang out with - and the fact that Chicago was a great magic town with lots of magicians that inspired me!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
My pet peeve occurs when a certain magician doesn't show for a lecture, someone asks about it in a post, and that person is barraged with criticisms by disciples of the aforementioned magician.

Come on people, lighten up. He (or she) may be a great magician, but that doesn't mean you must never mention if they are a no-show. And it doesn't mean you are trying to "take food out of their mouth".
Kenardo1
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Kenardo1
My biggest pet peeve is when a magic lecture winds up being a dealer show. I understand the economics of selling at a lecture, but sometimes it's really ridiculous.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Post-show another "magician" approaches me back stage or when I exit the building.

"Wow, you performed a great 3 card Monte with those big cards. I didn't even know there was a 3 card Monte....but I perform a great 2 card monte!"

I do not hate this young magician, in fact I wish him well. But after hearing this multiple times from various people...it tends to get annoying.

#2 - After I get done with a little bit of dinner table magic, someone pulls out some random deck of cards and starts the 3 piles of 7 cards...claiming they know a "GREAT TRICK!"

This is by far, the worst pet peeve of mine, and makes me want to restore my torn rope and create a noose.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Quote:
On 2004-06-21 09:38, Kenardo1 wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is when a magic lecture winds up being a dealer show. I understand the economics of selling at a lecture, but sometimes it's really ridiculous.


You read my mind. That happened to me last week. It was supposed to be a lecture but instead, we spent 3 hours looking at magicians demonstrate different products. I still enjoyed it, and I did learn a few things, but it was really about a 10 minute lecture followed by a 3 hour demonstration.

Shane Wiker
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
Quote:
On 2004-06-23 17:16, Astinus wrote:

"Wow, you performed a great 3 card Monte with those big cards. I didn't even know there was a 3 card Monte....but I perform a great 2 card monte!"


#2 - After I get done with a little bit of dinner table magic, someone pulls out some random deck of cards and starts the 3 piles of 7 cards...claiming they know a "GREAT TRICK!"


As for the former, I've never had someone say, "You mean there's a three card monte?" but I think I would find it pretty doggone funny myself. It just goes to show how easy it is to make a slight adjustment to a trick and amaze people with your innovative new method (Before I get jumped on, I know the three card monte is a very old routine, but it was new to the people who asked about it.)

Regarding the three piles of seven cards, I've been shown this countless times, but it doesn't bother me. In fact I encourage it and act duly impressed. If they ask if I already know it, I answer truthfully, yes, but there are many ways of doing a trick and I'd be interested in seeing yours. Realize this, THEY'RE NOT TRYING TO ONE-UP YOU.

I'm bilingual (English-Italian). Countless times I've met Italians who, when they discovered I was an American, said, "I know a bit of English!" and rattle off one or two basic phrases. English speakers do the same thing when they learn I know Italian. This used to really annoy me until I began to examine their motives. They don't know that you've heard the same phrase countless times in similar circumstances. It is their way of showing that they're interested in what you have to say and the subject you're discussing. They don't know much and admit that, but they want to make a connection and are offering the only thing they have to contribute.

I've seen countless variations of the 21 card trick, and it does get old, but it's not old for the person showing you. They're offering the only connection they can and are trying to impress you by being like you. To my mind being shown a trick is flattering. They care enough about your opinion to show you, and trust your personality enough to feel you won't put down what they're doing.

It's much more pleasant (to my mind) then the person who says, "Oh you do magic?! Can you make my friend/spouse/kid disappear?" However, the general idea is the same. People who say this think they're being funny and original. Use this to your advantage. Have some really cool responses to the question in your arsenal and the predictability of it will work to your advantage.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On 2004-07-07 17:03, JJDrew wrote:

As for the former, I've never had someone say, "You mean there's a three card monte?" but I think I would find it pretty doggone funny myself. It just goes to show how easy it is to make a slight adjustment to a trick and amaze people with your innovative new method (Before I get jumped on, I know the three card monte is a very old routine, but it was new to the people who asked about it.)

Regarding the three piles of seven cards, I've been shown this countless times, but it doesn't bother me. In fact I encourage it and act duly impressed. If they ask if I already know it, I answer truthfully, yes, but there are many ways of doing a trick and I'd be interested in seeing yours. Realize this, THEY'RE NOT TRYING TO ONE-UP YOU.

I'm bilingual (English-Italian). Countless times I've met Italians who, when they discovered I was an American, said, "I know a bit of English!" and rattle off one or two basic phrases. English speakers do the same thing when they learn I know Italian. This used to really annoy me until I began to examine their motives. They don't know that you've heard the same phrase countless times in similar circumstances. It is their way of showing that they're interested in what you have to say and the subject you're discussing. They don't know much and admit that, but they want to make a connection and are offering the only thing they have to contribute.

I've seen countless variations of the 21 card trick, and it does get old, but it's not old for the person showing you. They're offering the only connection they can and are trying to impress you by being like you. To my mind being shown a trick is flattering. They care enough about your opinion to show you, and trust your personality enough to feel you won't put down what they're doing.

It's much more pleasant (to my mind) then the person who says, "Oh you do magic?! Can you make my friend/spouse/kid disappear?" However, the general idea is the same. People who say this think they're being funny and original. Use this to your advantage. Have some really cool responses to the question in your arsenal and the predictability of it will work to your advantage.


You just completely changed the way I view that situation. I completely agree. Thanks for posting.

James
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
My pet peeves would include magician who would bash someone in the forums for giving his opinion or sugestion. Forgeting that this "someone " is genuinely trying to help. Forgeting that one can actually learn from the most stupid opinions and sugestions. Worse, these remarks often come from the ones who actually asks for the help to begin with.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I'm relatively new to the pro scene (only been conning people into paying me for this stuff for 3 years) but have been a dilettante almost all my life... recently I've started going to this one magic shop in SF, because it's the only one that actually stocks the kind of things I'm looking for without a 'fleece the tourists' profit margin.

Now, I work... a lot of shows. I'm still establishing myself, so a lot of the shows I do are at Renaissance Faires and festivals and that sort of thing, where I'll do two to four shows a day in a semi-surrounded environment, and, get this - I don't do a lot of card and coin magic. Gasp!

Soooo... In the shop are usually two or three guys showing their moves to each other. They're *good*... very good... real crisp moves, solid handling, and all close-up work. I come in, watch 'em go, then ask after a couple items so I can continue to build my stage repetoire... and wind up mentioning my schedule.

.. they're always suprised, for some reason, that a schlub like me who really can't do a frickin' double-lift without taking a deep breath first is getting... work. Brings a smile to my face every time.

But better still is the 'Let me tell you how cool I am' guys... the ones who hang out, don't actually do anything, but will tell you at length about how they're building this and that with this famous guy and that famous guy and hommina hommina... Who exactly are they trying to impress here? Smile

Tobias!
Nattering since 2001.
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I hate it when I have just finished doing my ambitious card routine and the layman takes the deck and demonstrates his seconds,centers and bottoms.

aaarrrgghhh!!!!

thanks Smile

kukram
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Pet Peeves when learning from and dealing with other magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL