The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Wild Card turnovers/reveals (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Wild Card is another old chestnut I've recently dusted off, after years of neglect. In re-familiarizing myself with this effect, I seem to have several old sets of instructions for it from various manufacturers, which vary from each other with regard to the "reveals" at the end... and none of which I particlarly like, or find compelling or convincing.

Since there seem to be a variety of ways of performing this effect, I'm wondering: what are everyone's favorite ways of doing the "reveals" at the end, transforming the eight tabled cards (four face down, four face up) into duplicates of the lone Wild Card?

Also, what sorts of patter or plot do people like to use in the presentation? There must be something more interesting, or more with a plot or a logical motive, than to just announce, "Here are eight identical cards... now, watch... BOOM! Now, for some reason, they're eight other identical cards." (Why?)

Finally, is there really a good reason to start out with eight duplicates, plus the Wild Card (which all those other duplicates turn into duplicates of?) Might it work just as well if you started out with eight random (different) cards, which then all became the same as the Wild Card? Is there some difference in dramatic impact I'm missing here?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Check out Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's "Wild Reindeer Games" from The Wizards' Journal #23 or my "Death and Taxes" from the Tarot Card Book Section of The Creepy Shoppe of Little Horrors.

In "Reindeer Games" Qua Fiki begins with eight Santas, like all the Santas you see on every street corner at Christmas, but then they turn into eight completely different (named) reindeer plus Rudolph for the finale.

In "Death and Taxes" I start with eight completely different Tarot Cards, which begin to turn, one by one, into "Death" cards and the punchline finale is when the Taxman appears.

So, to answer your question, yes you could start with eight different playing cards, random or a winning hand, that could all turn into a single Wild card, or a lollapaloosa (all cards losing) into a winning hand with or without wild cards. It's your choice and you just have to work it out to come up with the flashy finale you want to achieve.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I don't think it gets any better than this:

Quote:
On Jul 28, 2015, karnak wrote:
Wild Card is another old chestnut I've recently dusted off, after years of neglect. In re-familiarizing myself with this effect, I seem to have several old sets of instructions for it from various manufacturers, which vary from each other with regard to the "reveals" at the end... and none of which I particlarly like, or find compelling or convincing.

Since there seem to be a variety of ways of performing this effect, I'm wondering: what are everyone's favorite ways of doing the "reveals" at the end, transforming the eight tabled cards (four face down, four face up) into duplicates of the lone Wild Card?

Also, what sorts of patter or plot do people like to use in the presentation? There must be something more interesting, or more with a plot or a logical motive, than to just announce, "Here are eight identical cards... now, watch... BOOM! Now, for some reason, they're eight other identical cards." (Why?)

Finally, is there really a good reason to start out with eight duplicates, plus the Wild Card (which all those other duplicates turn into duplicates of?) Might it work just as well if you started out with eight random (different) cards, which then all became the same as the Wild Card? Is there some difference in dramatic impact I'm missing here?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:

Neither do I. The best of all presentations!

Mark
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Tommy Wonder's is extraordinary. Have never done it because I don't feel I could do it justice
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Dear Inigmntoya,
Thank you so much for posting that link. That presentation was magnificent, a delight to watch - an inspiration in fact. Thank you again.
mrsmiles
(UK)
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Quote:

Start performing variations to audiences comprised of non-magicians and see where that takes you. So many times I've heard magicians analyze an effect. They dissect it to death trying to find contextual meaning and emotional responses yet NEVER PERFORM THE EFFECT to see how it plays for lay people...I think if we all performed magic as much as we discuss it, magic would be a much more appreciated art by the general public.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Quote:

I know I haven't studied a lot of Wild Card presentations, but I've seen quite a few and they either start out using the glide or the Hamman count to show the "faces" of the non-Wild cards. These sleights lead to duplicates being shown - though it isn't necessary that they all match. At a minimum, you will have 4-pairs of duplicates visible.
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:

Look here: https://vimeo.com/115813699

Idon't use the Hamman Count.
I changed Vallarino's Wild Card routine a little, only the beginning.
At the beginning I show 8 cards without wild card.
When I showed the eight cards, now I show the wild card.

dj
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Tommy's routine is my favorite, with Eric DeCamps' routine from the Stars of Magic video coming in at a close second.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Jon Racherbaumer's Wild Card Kit has a lot of information that would be of interest to anyone pursuing this plot. You can view the contents and get an ecopy from L&L here:
http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=pr......ts_id=45
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:

Inigmntoya, I could watch that Tommy Wonder performance over and over again! Just superb.

A few years ago, I heard that someone had developed a little programmable beeping timer to use with Tommy's routine. Are they still available, and does anyone know where they can be purchased?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
One word : Tommy Wonder. Smile
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
I've been doing one with Jacks where all the Jacks are different famous Jacks (Jack Nicholson, Jack Sparrow, Jack Nicklaus, etc) that sell their soul to the devil (the deuce, 2) for fame. It helps to have a story that differentiates the cards that are all the same.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Another great variation of the wild card concept is Peter Samelson's "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". It has a great storyline that relates back to the original "Body Snatchers" movie. While I love Tommy Wonder's "Tamed" routine (and I have Card-Shark's version of the cards), Peter's "Body Snatchers" takes the cake in my opinion. Here's a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywu5MduTkgI

Jim
gatorjim
View Profile
New user
Fayetteville, TN
53 Posts

Profile of gatorjim
Tommy was truly a wonder...extraordinary timing, patter, stichk, superb ability and showmanship that fascinated and entertained across the world. The Tamed Cards routine is one of my all time favorites. Tommy's early passing deprived countless others of laughter and amazement at the hands of a master. Tommy truly was one-of-a-kind in magic entertainment.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree with J-Mac, the Body Snatchers is a great premise, especially at this time of year.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, arthur stead wrote:

A few years ago, I heard that someone had developed a little programmable beeping timer to use with Tommy's routine. Are they still available, and does anyone know where they can be purchased?

Just so you know, you don't need an expensive programmable beeper or remote control unit for this- our Wiz Kids have used a regular Supermarket Kitchen Timer Beeper that can be tucked under a wrist watch wrist band and set off with the press of a button. It takes a few seconds for anyone to hear it and recognize it as some kind of alarm. Everyone usually looks around to see who is beeping, and then the Wiz Kid suddenly realizes it is coming from his "watch", shuts it off and continues with why it was beeping (it has more uses than just with Tommy Wonder's Tamed Wild Card routine - so it is well worth the couple of bucks to buy and carry one around).
Jon Strum
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
I saw Peter Samelson perform his Invasion of the Body Snatchers version of Wild Card in 1976, when I was relatively new to magic, and I never forgot it. How's that for creating a lasting impression???

I will second J-Mac's suggestion. Samelson's routine elevates the effect from something that puzzles your audience to a piece of intimate magical theater.
"Do you like card tricks?" he asked.
I said no. He did five.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Wild Card turnovers/reveals (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL