The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silver Scepter Question (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
After reading the posts about the problems that seem to be inherent with the Indian made scepter, does anyone in the U.S. sell a quality rising wand?
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
To be honest the biggest problems I've had is only two things. One is the cheap hard plastic bag they come in is not worth using. Frank Starcini makes a great bag for the wand, and one that I've used maybe over 600 times and it will last me for many years more.
The other is to get a good elastic to use. The original elastic that they come with is poor quality. In John Breeds book he goes over how to change the elastic. I think he recently posted a link to his very good book on how to do the change of elastic. Other than that I've used mine in almost a 1000 shows and it's the cheaper Indian made wand.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, Al Kazam the Magic Man wrote:
In John Breeds book he goes over how to change the elastic. I think he recently posted a link to his very good book on how to do the change of elastic.

Here's the thread where John posted the link with instructions on repairing a Silver Sceptre :

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......589488#9

Direct link: Http://www.johnbreeds.com/magicboxcapers/silver_sceptre.pdf
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Does anyone have a link to where to get the correct type of elastic for replacement in the UK as mine has now "worn out" and no matter which fabric shops I go to here in the UK I just cannot find one that sells elastic that stretches enough for this prop.

Many Thanks,

Stuart
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, stuartmagic wrote:
Does anyone have a link to where to get the correct type of elastic for replacement in the UK as mine has now "worn out" and no matter which fabric shops I go to here in the UK I just cannot find one that sells elastic that stretches enough for this prop.

Many Thanks,

Stuart

I read where guys were using balloons in place of elastic, and they were working fine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Thanks for the kudos Al.
Here's a pic of the new version which keeps the silver scepter locked and loaded, ready to fly.
I was asked to design a version for a customer that would have this feature so... here it is.

www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
The optimum combination for strength and elasticity is around 59% Elastodiene, 41% Polyester. This will give a generous stretch of approximately 3:1. The length of the elastic (in its non-stretched state) should be about 20 mm shorter than the length of the tubing. This will ensure that the ball on either end snaps back to the tubing, yet allows full stretch of the wand’s length.

Virtually any haberdashery store (in UK or USA) sells this stuff.
BUT be aware what you're looking for - ie FLAT BRAIDED with slightly more Elastodiene than Polyester. The ratio of elastic/polyester will be printed on the packet. The very cheap stuff does NOT reveal this ratio information (20% Elastic to 80% Polyester is useless!)

5mm or 6 mm width is okay.

John Smile
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Again,, John Breeds has it all sorted.

If you read this Frank, is the red bag for the Sceptre wand made of the same supple material that my black one with side snap has? Suede I think mine is.

Al
Magic guy in Perth Australia
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yes, they are Al.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
I have half a dozen of the $5 version of the sceptre. At JoAnn Fabrics I buy Round Cord Elastic by the yard and restring them following Breeds' advice. Easy to do. Good stretch and snap back. Pre-show packing I check for fraying and switch in a fresh sceptre when necessary, which isn't very often. When I have a few in need of replacement elastic, I do them all at once and have a fresh supply.

I also use the original Starsini bag; very well made.

And if you use the vynal bag that comes with the $5 sceptre, reinforce the spot where the bag tears with a strip of duct tape, just below where the sheath does it's little nip-in. It will look like a band of black near the top of the brown sheath, and it will last forever.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
[

And if you use the vynal bag that comes with the $5 sceptre, reinforce the spot where the bag tears with a strip of duct tape, just below where the sheath does it's little nip-in. It will look like a band of black near the top of the brown sheath, and it will last forever. [/quote]

I recently started using the septre. Following someone else's advice, I put a staple in where the bag usually tears. So far, it's holding up okay.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Why don't manufacturers read these posts and make decent props?
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Bottom line?
Scott Brussen
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Scott Brussen
The original Silver Scepter from George Blake came with a soft cloth bag. It is not as rigid as the vinyl or even the suede. It is just like a cloth naopkin would be if made into a bag. I like the soft bag.
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
72 Posts

Profile of ageo
Dear forum participants,
Can you please comment about the age range for which the Silver Sceptre trick is effective? I find that nine and ten year olds do not appreciate nor enjoy the effect. If you perform the trick for that age group (and perhaps older groups), please share your ideas and ways to present the trick.
In my experience, the trick works fine for kids starting from 4.5 years old onward up to 8. From then on, interest wanes. I will appreciate your feedback.
Alberto Lobo-Guerrero S.
Bogota, Colombia
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
The ideal age range for this is from preschool children up to about 7. You can get away with it with older children but it is really not so strong.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
72 Posts

Profile of ageo
Thanks for your comment, Andy.
GalloMagic
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of GalloMagic
I used the one from India for a while and got tired of replacing it after a while, so I switched over to Practical Magic's it's a thousand times better than the India version. Although, practical magic is in the U.K I would suggest just buying it from them as it will last a while.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2016, GalloMagic wrote:
I used the one from India for a while and got tired of replacing it after a while, so I switched over to Practical Magic's it's a thousand times better than the India version. Although, practical magic is in the U.K I would suggest just buying it from them as it will last a while.

..... Practical Magic says that the delux wands are a UK exclusive.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2016, ringmaster wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2016, GalloMagic wrote:

..... Practical Magic says that the delux wands are a UK exclusive.

How will we ever make "America Great Again" without the Delux Silver Scepter from Practical Magic????
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silver Scepter Question (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL