The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » A question about the bill in lemon? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Hey guys,
I have been performing this illusion for around 30 or so years and it kills every time.

I'm looking for a new way to do the illusion.

I want to hand out a lemon for someone to hold on to until the time I need it back.

Does anyone know of a version that I can get where you can use a untouched lemon on the fly?

I have hear about a few knifes etc.

Any help would be great. I know there must me many versions of the lemon by now.

I have always done the basic preshow set up with the lemon and help from on stage assistants to do all the work.

Working on some new ideas to make it a bit more interactive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22358 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Scott Alexander's Final Answer did this, the lemon in a Plastic sandwich bag and then in a brown paper bag, handed to a spectator until the routine and finale. Scott has a booklet on the subject as well, don't know if he covers the hand out work in the book.

He also has a new version The Final Cut on Bob Kohler's website.
http://scottalexander.bigcartel.com/prod......tes-2010

http://bobkohlermagic.com/products/magic......cut.html You would have to check with Scott or Kohler if this version has the hand out feature.

Billy McComb uses a version in his book "The Professional Touch" where he had the spectator choose from 3 lemons in a basket. Also available on CD, as the book was converted to CD from the book. No magician's choice.

Rudy Hunter's vitamin "C" could be done this way, as it uses no gimmicks and is loaded during the cut.
http://martinismagic.com/Products.html
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Emil Jarrow had a "cute" line. As he offered a little bowl of lemons to the spectator, he would say,"Please 'select' a lemon. --You can't 'pick' one. --They've already been 'picked'."

He had another clever line as he sliced open the lemon, "Like the Synagogue on Friday night! ==Watch the juice come out!"

Emil was a Jew. He got a great laugh with this.

The late Dick Jarrow, Emil's nephew, and my dear friend (and fellow member of the Secret Six) told me this.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22358 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Oslund's comments reminded me of the Emil Jarrow book which describes his Bill In Lemon. Published by David Charvet, and still available from him. This was considered the classic method that he and many of the Vaudeville magicians would use. Lemon totally unprepared, Jarrow would borrow 3 dollar bills, how about that for being different.

http://charvetmagic.com/catalog/c1_p1.html

Again no gimmick, just the very old method, and you can give the lemon out at any time for inspection and holding until the routine begins.

I have collected a number of Bill In Lemon method, none are perfect in method, or operation, contrary to some advertisements, but with practice they all work. To the audience they all look to be the same experience.

Due to fire laws, we have to revisit the old style of destroying the bill, but it worked back then, and still hold true today.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Bill!

Yes! David Charvet "done good"! Whenever I was "chasing" a prop, I would buy everything that I could find that was written by a competent author/performer. It would save a lot of time doing research! --and, save money!

I recently was mentoring a young lad from the UK. He did his "first performance" for his high school. His presentation of the the Tarbell "Card in the orange" was his big feature, and, it killed!

Tricks with $$$ (especially borrowed)always hold attention! Jarrow's ultra simple method helped make him a "standard" act in vaudeville.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Hahahahahahahah! I love that line Dick, very clever.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Carl Cloutier has an excellent bill in lemon, he actually uses kiwi's (he explains why in his notes etc.) It is available in his notes, or there is a 2 DVD set out teaching the routine. Here is the link to his performance of the effect and the sales page. His kiwi is "sold" to a spectator for the bill he goes on to use in the effect. You can even go through the "who has the kiwi?" bit as you are making the bill disappear.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/996

It is a VERY strong routine.

Blair
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
You may want to search out Richard Sander's ORGINAL version of the bill in kiwi. It's published in his book Close Up Assasin published by The Camirand Academy. I've seen Ricard perform this countless times and it absolutely kills each time. It a very clean version where the spectator has the kiwi even before the bill is introduced. Unfortunately Carl seems to have appropriated this routine at the height of his " popularity" , but the credit must go to Richard. I don't know if all the lines/patter are giving in the book, but "hoot hoot, who has the fruit?" makes me laugh every time I hear it.

John
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Good find JM. Richard gives credit to the Bill in Lemon book for his inspiration of his bill in lime. Knowing both guys I'm not sure whose version came first. Richard published his routine with a lime, as noted above, in 1998 through the Camirand Academy and Carl published his kiwi routine in his notes in 1993, although both were performing their routines a lot longer than that.

It never hurts to check out both and see what of each you can adapt to your own style.

Blair
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Here's a link for a thread with (great) reviews for Richard's routine.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=3

Blair
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2015, Blair Marshall wrote:
Good find JM. Richard gives credit to the Bill in Lemon book for his inspiration of his bill in lime. Knowing both guys I'm not sure whose version came first. Richard published his routine with a lime, as noted above, in 1998 through the Camirand Academy and Carl published his kiwi routine in his notes in 1993, although both were performing their routines a lot longer than that.

It never hurts to check out both and see what of each you can adapt to your own style.

Blair

***SIGH*** That's the problem , you don't know. I thought it was important to mention whose handling was the original. If this doesn't bother you, then by all means do as you please.

John
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Hi Taylor,

I use a version where I hand a unprepared lemon to someone in the audience.
PM me if you are interested and I will explain. No "break through" method but it is practical and works on stage!

Roy
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5311 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Just a shout-out to Bill and Dick for your wisdom and comments! They are very much appreciated.

Jim
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
Taylor,

Doc Eason's routine hands the lemon out to an audience member in a drawstring bag in advance. It's available on the World's Greatest Magic Series on the Bill in the Lemon if you're interested.

Bruce
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
PM'ed you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Search to see GALLI GALLI do it. So totally simple. No gimmicks no set up. Just GUTS
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2499 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I think just finding money in a lemon is amazing to people.
I've considered just cutting up a lemon, showing a bill. That's the end.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2015, Pete Biro wrote:
Search to see GALLI GALLI do it.

Hi Pete:
I searched, but couldn't find. Do you have a link?
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2499 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Search youtube for Luxor Gali Gali

There's brief clip of him on the Ed Sullivan Show doing cups & balls. I've never seen him do bill in lemon.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I've seen a couple of clips of him performing the C&B. I'd like to see his version of BIL.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » A question about the bill in lemon? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL