The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Publicity strategies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi everyone

Before I go ahead and order this book. I wonder if anyone here that has seen a copy knows how specific to the US the information is? As I am in the UK the shipping and possible customs prices push the overall cost up somewhat and I don't want to end up spending a load of money just to find that the info isn't of any great help outside of America.

Cheers
David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
rch129
View Profile
New user
FL
51 Posts

Profile of rch129
I purchased Dixie's video after the show I saw in Vegas, haven't watched it in a long while, I will get it out and take a look and let you know.
Just finished a quick review of the Dixie video to refresh my memory. It starts out with publicity and news coverage of stunts performed by Dixie (strait jacket, rope tie, buried alive). Then a video of his act with magic and escapes performed (handcuffs, sub trunk, strait jacket, milk can).

I think it was worth the purchase price. It appears to have been done with a handheld video camera, which results in a reduced level in quality in the video and sound, some skewing issues and a little long but good magic and escapes.

If you are in Vegas a good show to see if you have a interest in magic and escapes.
Roy
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I just internet ordered a copy of the book through H&R books for $25 plus $4 S&H.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Email me at david@thefreakshow.co.uk Jeremy, maybe I can help.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey Roy, I definitely agree that Dixie's show was very good, but the last I heard, it closed last year. Does anyone know off hand if they reopened?
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Anything I can do to help, PM me
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Well, I just checked my mail box, and to my surprise, in it was the Publicity Stunts book from Misdirections Magic. I must say that I'm pretty impressed with these guys. First, for having the book in stock, secondly for being so helpful on the phone and finally for getting me the book so quickly. I only ordered it two days ago. I only had a chance to glance through it, but so far it looks pretty good. Thanks Mike, for recommending it. Now I'm going to get cracking reading it.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I just read Publicity Stunts (which I ordered from Misdirections) last night.

There is some good thinking in it, less on how to do the stunts, which is well covered in other sources, but in figuring out how to get into the minds of the newspaper editors, write a release, give them what they are looking for, and figure out what your irresistible message is.

Since I am planning a stunt of this kind for this June, I found this to be a very worthwhile book for a modest price.

Yours,

Paul
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Good Luck on the stunt Dr. Wilson. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Hi,
My name is Steve Baker,I'm known as MR.ESCAPE.
I've been a professional escape artist for 50
years.My credits include 3 world tours,3 one hour
TV specials,23 hours of net work coverage,and more
newspaper coverage than any escape artist alive today!

I can make this claim because it's TRUE !

I would like to HELP any one of you who are interested

May You Always Escape,
Steve Baker,MR.ESCAPE
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Welcome Steve! You have quite a list of credits going there. Hope you feel free to post and start and participate in discussions here.

Mike
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Mr. Baker, you really need no introduction on this forum. You are one of the true living legends of this art. Welcome aboard, and we hope to see a lot of you here. Thanks for joining the Café!
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Thanks for the welcome Mike.
My first major publicity stunt took place in Oakland,
California in 1967. I did the USDSJ ,10 stories high
and put 22,ooo people in the street.... Front pages
World wide... I know how to get publicity.

Check it out.... Feb 22 ,1967
Oakland Tribune
HBO special "Worlds Greatest Escapes" 1984

And a whole lot in between !

Steve Baker, MR.ESCAPE
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1494 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Steve, welcome to the message board and I hope you can help many people here with your vast experience.

Next time I am over in the US again, we'll have to caught up and have lunch again.

Good to see you here.

Ian McColl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Publicity strategies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL