The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Working on a card sleight - mark your card with lipstick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JayLugh
View Profile
New user
Canada
26 Posts

Profile of JayLugh
I love card magic but I'm a total beginner. I'm auditioning for a lead in a musical in about a month, and the audition will be in front of a panel of 5 people, including the director, stage manager, and choreographer. This company asks people to include in their audition a "minute to impress". You can do pretty much anything in that minute (Doesn't have to be exactly a minute, as long as it's short.) Last time I auditioned for this company I did stand up comedy, got a callback for the role I really wanted, and ended up cast, but in a different role.

I'm working on a card sleight for this audition. The storyline is that I'm going to make a card fall in love with the person I'm doing the trick for - I show them their card, put the card back into the deck and then it jumps to the top - my story during the trick is that the card has fallen in love with them and when they tap the deck it comes to the top so it can be close to them. For added effect, I want them to mark the card in the beginning before I put it back in the deck, to prove that it's the same card - but instead of the usual signing their name, I'm going to ask the director (who is male) to put on lipstick and kiss the card, marking it with a lipstick kiss. I know most of the people on the panel, and I'm pretty sure that the guy will do it, and that everyone will find it pretty amusing/funny.

Has anyone tried something like this? I'm wondering how messy it is/whether lipstick will transfer to cards/rub off easily. I guess the best way to find out is to get some lipstick and try it.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
This reminds me of a Boris Wild premise.

It's been such a long time I can't remember details.

Anyone else?
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah

"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
JayLugh
View Profile
New user
Canada
26 Posts

Profile of JayLugh
Thank you! These are really great at helping me see the possibilities for a kissed card. I was thinking of using it as a substitute for signing the card, like actually getting someone (in this case, a guy) to put on lipstick and mark the card himself, so that when it appears on top later he can prove it's his card and not a duplicate.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
Could be a great moment.
Like in all volunteer selections, with the right person thus could be gold.

Are you going to offer the different shades?
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
JayLugh
View Profile
New user
Canada
26 Posts

Profile of JayLugh
Ha ha, if multiple lipsticks are in the budget at that point, maybe I'll give him a choice of colour.

From my experience with this group and their dynamics, I'm pretty sure the director will go along with it and it will be a really funny and memorable moment for everyone there. I'll bring wet wipes or something so that he doesn't have to keep the lipstick on for the next person auditioning!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
Wet wipes sound like another comedy moment.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
JayLugh
View Profile
New user
Canada
26 Posts

Profile of JayLugh
It's definitely going to be a lot of fun. I feel like even if my magic technique isn't great by next month, with the proper amount of charisma and finding those comedy moments it will go over well. Sometimes they videotape the really stand-out "minute to impress" things that people come up with, so here's hoping.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Working on a card sleight - mark your card with lipstick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL