The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to buy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
I have got quite a few books and videos on magic now and I am looking for some packet tricks card tricks. Along with any close-up/coin magic. I don't want to spend more than around $50 this time so can anyone please recommend a list of tricks I could buy?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Philipmac,

If you've got "quite a few" books and videos, then why on earth are you looking for more tricks? You should be able to make up scores of your own!

If you want to get something to use in close-up, get a C/S coin and an Okito Box, learn to use them and save the rest of your money.
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
I bought Michael Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte last week and it's so great! It's fun to practice it and it will be stunning to perform it when I'm ready.

Wish I could apply it into a whole deck routine though.

F.
alexanderN
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
72 Posts

Profile of alexanderN
Invisible Deck always gets a great reaction!!
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
NFW is really great! I made the gimmick myself but it's always better to buy! Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Fengenroll: Nice to read that you wrote "it will be stunning to perform when I'm ready". That is exactly the right way to do it, that goes for all magic though, practice is most important key. But for applying it into a whole deck routine, PM me and I'll share the routines I perform.

Philipmac, I second Mr. Marucci's advice. It's not how much magic you can get for $50, it's the quality of the products you decide to get and dedication you put into it.

But a good place to start is with Fengenroll's advice. The Skinner's Monte is one of the best Packet tricks out there and it's a great trick to get you started building up patter and confidence in your performance.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I agree with the Okito Box. Roy Kuepper's has a great deal on boxes on his site. Check them out.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I second the motion for NFW, also take a look at Hole Sensation or a good Wild Card set. For coins, you can't go wrong with a sweet Scotch and Soda!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
Quote:
On 2004-02-20 06:12, fengenroll wrote:
I bought Michael Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte last week and it's so great! It's fun to practice it and it will be stunning to perform it when I'm ready.

Wish I could apply it into a whole deck routine though.

F.

I have heard that this trick is harder for left-handed people. Is this true? And if so by how much?
Liams-Heart
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Liams-Heart
I'd check out Twisted Sisters. I think it's the best packet trick available - and easy to perform!
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I just have to agree with the guys, Skinner's three card monte is the thing to do.

A for your books and videos, I suggest you read/watch them again, you'll see something pop up again.

Enjoy magic,
Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
huggie50
View Profile
Regular user
North Las Vegas
109 Posts

Profile of huggie50
As for card packets, Wild Card is great. For coins, Scotch and Soda is a pleaser.
Magically yours,
Huggie
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Can someone please tell me what exactly is NFW? Thanks!
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Jmsilhy,

You show four jokers. One by one they start to turn face down in the packet. You turn a third one over to show all four are now face down. Then you turn the cards face up and they're all aces.

See penguinmagic.com for a video demo.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
filem
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of filem
I second Mr. Marucci.

Second, go for books and possibly videos instead of purchasing separate tricks. *Much* bigger bang for the buck. Besides, specifically regarding "packet tricks", consider how many professional magicians you've seen perform these types of tricks.

Go out and perform instead. You'll learn a lot more than what you can buy.
Don Wilson
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Don Wilson
If you still want a packet trick after all the good advice above, try "Princess Card Trick" by Daryl and Patrick Page's "Three Card Monte" by Cards by Martin—two powerful easy-to-do stunners!

Don
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
Right now my favorite packet trick is Daryl's Crossed Thought. I think the effect has more impact than some of the other tricks mentioned, and I was really surprised at how minimal the sleight of hand is.

Eric.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
NFW stands for:

"No Freakin' Way!"

Substitute your favorite expletive for the middle word (I have to be at least PG here, LOL)

Doug
magic soul
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
113 Posts

Profile of magic soul
First of all to philipmac no it isn't really harder for lefties you just have to fan the cards the opposite way because there bicycle cards so its the same for a deck of bicycles.Anyway one of the best small packet card tricks I think is bicycle built for five by ton onaska I think if I'm wrong I'm sorry.But there are thosands and many great ones.Incedentally another one that springs to mind is the one juan Tamariz has performed many times on T.V. when the cards keep changes faces and backs.I think this is by oliver mckenzie and can be found in ken brookes book called the unique years originally published by supreme magic called the drink trick.andy
andy
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
Invisible Deck
Twisted Sisters
Revolver By Oz Pearlman(Penguinmagic.com)
Sponge Balls
Blake S.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to buy? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL