The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thoughts on these effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Hi guys,

As a corporate trainer I do a few card effects throughout my training. ID, stand up Monte, Truimph, Phil Deck. I generally only do one trick/performance per session and leave them wanting more. And 99% of the time they just kill.

In my spare time I have been building a 15-20 min routine that I can perform in different circumstances. Just 3 effects with plenty of humour, with plenty of inspiration from your traditional street buskers.

Also as part of the hobby, I have now started to practice Chop Cup. I know (realistically) this is a more longer term project with months and months of practice to really get down, patter, performance, loads, misdirection, etc.

However I'm thinking of purchasing/practicing three more effects that I can practice in the short term.

Turbostick
Crazy Mans Handcuffs
Revolution (just released by Gregory Wilson)

Thoughts with these effects? Ease of use? I'll be honest I don't want to add any knuckle busting effects to my arsenal that require serious practice.

I'm looking at great effects that could be considered a worker, provides me variety, and I could practice on the train heading into work. aka, CMH & Turbostick.

Rich
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2015, SugarRayRick wrote:

Revolution (just released by Gregory Wilson)

Rich

This isn't an effect...it is a stunt.

More impressive for magicians than laymen.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Yes, I agree with you - I don't normal do any fancy card flourishes apart from a simple ribbon spread or a charlier cut, I just don't have the patience for months of practice with a simple card sleight. However this from sounds of it, I could start to master in a couple of days. I'll be adding it as an off beat moment into my routine, before performing ID or the like.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
If it's what I think it is, get ready for a sore finger!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When Kabbalah speaks, I LISTEN!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
Not sure sitting on a train trying to release yourself out of handcuffs would be a good idea Smile
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
941 Posts

Profile of Aus
TurboStick is simply a modernization of the paddle trick, one that has been done before in one variant or another but is in my opinion is a good modernization. There is some opinion on the cheap appearance of the paddle not being suited for the more corporate upmarket events for the working performer but that's a matter of opinion in my view. Are they going to remember the magic or the cheap plastic paddle, I guess that really depends on how good you are.

Crazy Mans Handcuffs is a modern day classic that with all the finger foolery that one can do with rubber band magic these days you can embellished it to any agree you like.

I have no comments on the Greg Wilson thing.

Magically

Aus
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Rich, if you're thinking of working on a paddle move or something similar, you might consider achieving a similar effect with your business card rather than with TurboStick. You could use this to create a magical moment just for a potential client, leaving them with a memento that also happens to have your contact information on it.

If you've got the magic-purchasing bug, you could get a video of business card magic. L&L's "World's Greatest Magic" series has a volume on "Magic with Business Cards." Michael Ammar's "Business Card Miracles" is another possibility.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thoughts on these effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL