We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "I can't show you a proper demo... (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Another thread, another example of being unable to please everyone no matter what with advertising. What's more interesting is the lack of uproar over the review processes by companies. I'm much more troubled by the censoring of reviews of products than by the advertising. If I buy a product because of the trailer that's on me, but if I buy a product because of positive reviews and the negative ones aren't posted, that's underhanded. Penguin often delays posting them until after their coolbox is finished and Ellusionist don't post them at all I've found first hand. If the reviews are real then the trailers aren't as important.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
That's a great point.

I am personally always more grateful for the balanced reviews (pros and cons) versus the 5 star ones.
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Isn't it obvious that they're selling this effect not with the trailer? I mean they provide a trailer-- but, it's only for something like a must have in their products showcase. Their first selling point was Greg's comment. And now they're added some more comments. IMO, it's useless to discuss about the video trailer anymore as what they selling is a proof from bunch of comments. Actual proof or artificial proof? I let you guys decide on that. Honestly, Greg's comment is good enough for me to consider having this effect.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1294 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, Slackerking wrote:
Another thread, another example of being unable to please everyone no matter what with advertising. What's more interesting is the lack of uproar over the review processes by companies. I'm much more troubled by the censoring of reviews of products than by the advertising. If I buy a product because of the trailer that's on me, but if I buy a product because of positive reviews and the negative ones aren't posted, that's underhanded. Penguin often delays posting them until after their coolbox is finished and Ellusionist don't post them at all I've found first hand. If the reviews are real then the trailers aren't as important.

So fake trailers are fine, but not publishing all reviews (especially the ones from people that bought the product and are disappointed because of the fake trailer) is not okay? Interesting take on the matter, especially since if we forced companies to make honest trailers, the lack of reviews would be less of an issue.

Still waiting (for numerous months now) for an answer to my question to you:

If no one ordered anything until someone bought it and did a review of it, who would buy anything and on what would they base their decision to purchase it?
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Sunny Orlando
882 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Looks like E posted a full performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do3tFPTGbbM
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
mag1c1an
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mag1c1an
Just got a message from Ellusionist about this trick and about how great it is, saw the trailer and got super irritated with "I cant show you a demo..." so I googled it and here I am Smile

While I can understand the creator's fear of people figuring it out, I will never ever buy anything from Ellusionist if I can't "see" because I have been ... I don't know the word, "cheated" seems a little over the top but "marketed" seems under... by them on too many "fantastic" effects. Never again.

I'm a black club member , but I *only* buy supplies from them (like cards) because of the above reason.

The funny part is, wait a little while on any trick and some person on youtube is going to try to perform it... perform it after practicing for 3 minutes.

Wouldnt it be better for the creator who has spent so much time on it, and can perform it the best to do the trick rather than someone who just wants to put a video up as soon as possible and will most probably give away the trick because he didn't put in the required practice?
selectedmagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of selectedmagic
Don't sell it if you can't show it... problem solved. It's crazy to even attempt to convince someone to buy what they can't see.
mag1c1an
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mag1c1an
Yep.

As for that argument that magicians know the mechanics of handling cards more than lay people, perhaps there should be a little star there like this (*) and when you scroll down you see a little warning that goes something like this:

(*) Use only in front of lay people, ask them if they have had any interest in magic before or seen any youtube videos, if there is a person who answers yes, do not do this trick because 'if you show them a proper demo they might figure it out'.

The above sounds insane, because it is as crazy as some of the ads you see on TV:
Birds flying
beautiful mountains in the distance
children playing in the backyard
Giraffes eating from tall trees

and it ends with

Buy Tampons!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "I can't show you a proper demo... (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL