The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Where's the Smilies? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
O.K. fellas, what happened to the smilies lately?

Did we abuse them ?

Will they ever be back?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
588 Posts

Profile of wayman
They are still here.... Smile
Skulldini
View Profile
New user
N. California
80 Posts

Profile of Skulldini
Use the code listed and they will show up.
Skulldini Smile see?
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
How do you know the code??
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Xia, they're listed in the FAQ however if you look under the post a reply box, there is a clickable link that takes you to them directly. Smile
Where the magic begins
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of The Wonder Company
This is all well and good, but it was so nice to have them sitting under my reply box. what can we do to get them back?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
This is really a question for the tech people however, if you noticed, it takes a long time for each page to load when the smilies are present. We doing as much as we can to improve response time but reducing the number of unnecessary processes until we can get a better server.
Where the magic begins
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Clickable smilies are nice and all, but with 180 of them, that's a bit much to show on one page. Plus, pages which show the smilies are shown pretty often - say, about one out of every three or four pages. I'll be looking at restoring the clickable smilies to a certain degree, but it'll have to wait until the new PM system is installed and the search routines are reworked.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
The display of the smilies was certainly starting to hamper the page download times so I'm glad they've been removed for now.

However, I do think that smilies are an important part of Internet communication as they help to convey those elements of conversation that cannot be succinctly represented in textual form (unless you are an Internet guru and know all of the LOLs and ROFLs etc).

An alternative might be to have an "insert smilie" button which, when pressed, displays the list of smilies and inserts into the current text. Essentially, this would be very similar to the way in which the insertion of usernames works in the search facility. If this were achievable, would it also possible to cache the images such that re-display of such a pane would take less time than the original display?

Just some suggestions if they're worthwhile, otherwise find the nearest bin and drop them in.
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
That's what I've been thinking, Beetroot. I've got other things I'm working on at the moment though. For now, the clickable smilies have to take a back seat ...
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Where's the Smilies? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL