The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close up effect with a major wow factor? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Snoogansgt
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Snoogansgt
Any suggestions of a great close up effect that has a major wow factor? I'm looking for something that is quick, but powerful that could be used in a strolling gig. Maybe a vanish or production effect? Any thoughts on this from you guys?
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
There are SO many things that could fit this criteria of quick and powerful for a strolling gig, however if you explained your technical ability and the types of effects you prefer doing, it'd be easier to give you a better answer...

Bill changes, Signed cards to impossible locations, I mean, let me just stop there because you could literally say just about any type of effect. Tell us please, what type of environment do you intend on strolling in? How quick is "quick" to you? Like I said, your technical ability and experience is important to mention... However in whole, I bet that a powerful bill change or bill trick would be something suitable for you. Money grabs everyone's attention and when you change a one dollar bill in to a hundred, you're doing what people would if they really could do magic-- Anyone would love to have the ability to do that. Bill magic is very powerful.
Snoogansgt
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Snoogansgt
Thank you Zephury. As far as my technical ability goes... I think I am still intermiediate. I can do sleight of hand with small balls like 3 ball transposition and chop cup stuff, intermediate coin sleights, and average card handling. I was trying to think of maybe a vanish or production effect that could really get someones attention really quick. A bill change would be an attention getter, that's for sure.
ULockJustice
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbus, OH
201 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice
Sounds like you are looking for something that is both self working and highly visual. You should take a look at Dan Harland's Cardtoon. It requires a basic amount of card handling, but has a very satisfying ending while still being highly visual.
This is the profile of Comedian + Magician Erik Tait. A self-promoting sleight of hand artist who thinks he is the cat's meow.

PM for beard tips.
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Richard Sanders' Extreme Burn. Fast visual, easy, uses money which people always find interesting.
Let the Entertainment Commence!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Don't overlook sponge bunnies - seriously ..

Jim
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2015, jimhlou wrote:
Don't overlook sponge bunnies - seriously ..

Jim

Also don't over look crazy man handcuffs. I do it with a cool little story called made in china. It about how I am going to demonstrate a feat that was first demonstrated 1000 of years ago in china. Anyway I do once in my hands then up to two time using volunteers. Some times I finshe with stargazer.

There are many more I do but this is simple and hard hitting.

Hope this helps
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Both of the above have the advantage of being cheaper than Extreme Burn
Let the Entertainment Commence!
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Routines using the Invisible Deck are very strong and certainly within your skill set as you described it. I would strongly recommend giving it some consideration.
Snoogansgt
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Snoogansgt
Thank you all for your input. I did some more research and consulting with friends and I decided on Extreme Burn. Hope it works out! I am currently awaiting it in the mail. I am currently working to perfect my crazy mans handcuffs too as we speak. I get caught up every now and then when trying to do the switch, so it isn't performance ready yet. Thank you all
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I got a good one! Charlie Justice's "Prohibition".

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3817

You're welcome! Smile

Doug
Snoogansgt
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Snoogansgt
Dougini, is it as good as the demo makes it out to be? I saw that a pk ring is needed for this effect as well. Looks amazing!
DanielWeppler
View Profile
New user
Toronto
21 Posts

Profile of DanielWeppler
Alan Rorrison's Smoke, it really amazes people when smoke magically comes out of your mouth.
-Daniel
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Prohibition is indeed as good as the video. But don't forget you need to carry around a glass bottle.

Jim
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Take a look at any of the many versions of the Princess Card Trick.
Easy-to-do and maximum impact!

Julie
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Any type of topographic effect really wipes people out. Try a simple version of Card Warp. It has three phases and leaves the spectator with an inexplicable souvenir that also destroys the working method. It is also a great way to use up worn out cards that need to be retired. A great source of this effect is Michal Ammar's Easy to master Card Miracles. If you like the basic effect then get his Easy to master Money Miracles which has the version which uses a card and a dollar or other bill. It really wows them because the bill can be borrowed and there is nothing better than an inexplicable effect done with a borrowed object or objects.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
In the time I have spent researching, and playing with magic I have found most inventors are focused on close up magic. A good many effects are extraordinary. There are too many books and videos to count... quite literally!

Garrett Thomas has a ring trick that will blow you away in performance. Seriously, he did it for just my wife and I at the Magic Castle last year. I have not yet bought it because I am still trying to get good at the crap I am currently trying to do, but it was awesome.
Whit Haydn did his Chacago Surprise and I was in heaven. (He is my favorite magician ever, so... one of my best days ever) Best Card trick ever!

Metal bending (Forks spoons) Ring and string magic (L&L has some really nice DVD's with a number of performers). I have ruined a LOT of forks at restauraunts (I would insist you do not do so) I got away with it because it was my wierd circumstance. The owner thanked even though I destroyed about 20 of his forks... Company christmas party... I have an excuse.

Card effects are usually (In my opinion) the weakest effect, just because I've seen 4 hours straight card magic, several times... but wait until you see a good one. The first (And I believe only) magic trick that my wife asked me to repeat was a 4 card trick.
There's some 3 card monte possibilities.

Once while under the influence of beverages ( I would not recommend it) Sponge balls, a Hot Rod, a TT and a couple of silks and 3 card monte routine had the entire restaurant my family was eating at clapping, and laughing, I finished with the Hot Rod, no one would finish with a hot rod, but I did, just because I saw this girl that I "knew" was perfect. When I handed her the rod at the end and all the colors on both sides were the same (Or whatever, I haven't owned one for 10 years), her reaction was for whatever reason the catalyst to the craziest thing ever. I suddenly looked up and realized I was doing magic for an entire restauraunt, and they liked it.

The last point, and the most important, is if you can find a way to make the tricks you know into something beautiful they will have the "Wow" factor.
Performance will always be key. -Performance comes with confidence and confidence comes with performance- So start with one and do it until you have both.
Then you have the WoW factor.

The WoW factor will come from you, or it will not come. That was vague and probably not useful, but still the truth.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close up effect with a major wow factor? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL