The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Anywhere Coins by Pablo Amira (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1499 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I was nervous about this effect for several reasons. One, the promise was too good in that it was right up my alley: psychology with (minimal) sleight-of-hand and good presentation required--therefore it had potential to be the usual let-down as it rarely lives up. Two, it seemed too 'simple' when I started reading it and that can sometimes mean another let-down in terms of 'wow' factor.

However, I love, love, love this. Long story short? It fits the bill.

What I liked: The premise is great, and the effect lends itself to actual presentation (something rare these days). This is almost always a good thing. For something like this you need to play it up, not over the top of course, but more than just as a "watch the card jump to the top" (magician snaps fingers), "isn't that cool?" You need to go "Tamariz" and provide context, setting and even emotion if you like (I do).

I know, it sounds like a lot for one potentially small (in the wrong hands) effect. But I suspect that's how he does it himself. He provides meaning and good presentation in the pdf. The usual, for sure, yet not unconsidered or without reason.

I also loved that it is impromptu for the most part. As long as a few things are present for you (they should be in most every situation) you're set to go.

What I didn't like:
I had to read it a few times to understand one of the concepts. I suspect that Pablo was too close to it in writing a few parts. He got the concept in his head, but didn't elaborate based on his own thorough understanding of it. Not a biggie, as I did get it (and I'm more of an idiot than most), but wanted to mention it (it's a review, right?) as a few comments and lines seemed a bit ambiguous.

I didn't like the idea of the physical technique involved--at first. I must have been stressed because it did not pass the wife test. To be fair, she guessed the how, but I believe coincidentally and not because I did anything overtly wrong. She just knows me and can figure me out most times. While I haven't done this for laymen yet, I suspect I'll be just fine.

I've also since figured out he probably assumes we're smart enough to add a few subtleties that are obvious to any thinking magician once you actually try it (probably why he wanted us to do so first before reviewing--plus it helps to watch the video example before thinking you get it).

But that's about it. It doesn't break many molds--you won't find new, earth-shattering methods here. But that's just fine, I love this. In the end, it's exactly the kind of magic/mind-reading I like. It's not complete, prop-less mentalism which I like (not my style), yet it requires work and showmanship to really milk the concept.

There aren't many tricks I like that are impromptu, solid-routine mini-miracles that I keep in rotation when someone wants to be impressed ("Can you show me something?"). I will absolutely keep this one on reserve and start cycling it in. Nice work.

Disclosure: I got a review copy.
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Thanks Nathan and Marco for your words. I am truly glad that you found value in this little piece of casual prognostication with borrowed coins Smile

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
288 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Thanks Cristobal for your insights!

For those interested (or previous buyers), I have worked a new handling for the "sleight of hand" used in "Anywhere Coins". This new handling makes the routine easier to do and give the performance an interesting dramatic moment, coherent with the effect.

All the best
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
This eBook and many others are for just $5! One week only offer, then they will be off sale

More info HERE

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Anywhere Coins by Pablo Amira (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL