The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Harry Albacker (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

intervalmagic
View Profile
New user
San Diego
17 Posts

Profile of intervalmagic
I suspect many of you remember Harry Albacker (1925-1994), a professional Pittsburgh magician who performed at fairs, schools, malls, etc. I recently uploaded a video of one of his performances at a school in Sewickley, PA (a suburb of Pittsburgh). The show took place in the 1980s, and it was the first time I met him. While Harry and I were not good friends, he invited me to a couple of parties at his house and occasionally mailed me magic magazines and some of his promotional materials, which I still have. I'm sad to say I lost touch with him as the years rolled by until his death, but I have many good memories of the man and think of him every now and then. You can watch the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjjTjTEkzNM[.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
As Charlie Miller would have said, "Harry you are ineffable!) Dick Jarrow would have said, "You just don't see a show like that every day." Or, as Jay Marshall would have said, "I can't remember when I've seen a show like yours!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Dick Oslund, How about this 'saver': "...I've never seen you better!...." or
" an act like yours comes along once in a lifetime..."
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bye bye Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Lou Tannen told me that he kept track of how many shows Harry did each year by the number of soft soap refill boxes he ordered. Loud said that he thought that Harry did more shows than any magician in the country. Hokey? Absolutely, but always busy with shows.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I saw Harry work. He was constantly working shopping centers and malls. He was an expert at getting free newspaper publicity which helped sell the show to the malls. They like the free mentions in the newspapers. His magic was time tested and he knew how to sell it.
He had a niche and filled it. Oh yea, he made a good living doing it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I know at least half a dozen Harry Albacker publicity stories. The guy was a legend. He called himself, 'The Deadest Magician Alive' because when he was a kid, he was pronounced dead & woke up in the hospital morgue. He seemed to know everybody. We once worked a state fair together , and Minnie Pearle pulled up to say hello to him. Harry, myself, and kornelly Marionettes did a lot of joint mailings, and would split a booth at the Outdoor Showman's Association meetings in Pittsburgh.
There is a display of his equipment at Carnegie Mellon University. I probably have a dozen of his advertising pieces in my memorabilia collection.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I grew up near Pittsburgh and saw Harry do a few shows, he was performing at a shopping center.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Almost everybody who lived in or near Pittsburgh saw Harry work. He was a phenomenon.
Harry used a piano playing chicken in his act. One day he got a call from a farmer's trade show somewhere near Carlisle. They didn't want to hire him, they wanted the chicken. He really got ticked off.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Harry Albacker (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL