The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom by Peter Eggink (97 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..15~16~17 [Next]
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Thanks Peter - a full performance would be great
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1082 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I think that will help... the new video at least. Maybe?

The current demo is not fair at all, in my opinion. It will peak interest (obvously) and get people like me to jump on it... Which I will NEVER do again!

Yes, I 100% know that there is a freaking gimmick. Obviously only a few ways to do this. But, if I knew which one in advance, I would have passed on this. So again, not fair.

This is hard and I know there will be some that agree with me and some that don't. Glad I live in a place where I can voice my opinion.

BUT,
In order to do this as you see in the demo, you will have to hold something. You can NOT have empty hands as the demo clearly leads you to believe. And you can not appear to have empty hands. You can hide the gimmick VERY well though! And I agree that it is very 007ish. And great thinking on it. Just did a poor job on marketing it. Although, I fully understand that marketing will sell tricks and get the sales skyrocketing and then...... plummeting a few months later. I get it.

Yes, obviously the gimmick, which I agree 100% that they will not see. But.... I can't say much more.

And if you are the type of magician that doesn't like/care for your spectators signing the card for a rising card. Or signing the bottle? Well, you need to start caring...

The effect is very cool looking, but the handling is very awkward IMHO. And to do this, you need to have a marker. Not a big deal, but I know when I was deployed, I couldn't just go to a store and purchase one. It is 100% fair that Peter/Murphy's should say that you need to have a marker in order to make this work to your advantage and not bring attention to your "hands".

I don't want to seem as if I am piling onto Peter, I am not that kind of person.
The current demo led me to believe that I could do this with nothing in my hands. Not true.

And saying, No magnet, No Invisable Thread, No elastic.... that's where the aruments go either way.

For me, there are far too many other methods to do rising cards/haunted pack. Just my opinion, and this is not what I want.

I am selling mine on the Café' if anyone wants it.... after I post this.

*Note:
If my statments revel too much, so be it, and I apoligize. I still stand by my comments, and am not trying to harm Peter in any way.

Thanks
Mike
Dazzler UK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
108 Posts

Profile of Dazzler UK
Wow! Very honest of you appreciate it. But mine has landed already today, so will check it out later, but for some reason I'm not as excited as I was.
There are two rules for success..... 1. Never reveal everything you know.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8264 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Return it Mike demanding a full refund.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1082 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Return it Mike demanding a full refund.

I have never asked for a refund.
That just changed today....
I asked and am waiting for a response.

This is kind of like buying a new and improved Thumb Tip... But you get it and find out you MUST wear a glove to use it. OK maybe a bad example...

I want to back out of this thread and end by saying:

Good luck to those that like this and to those that this fits your needs.

Phantom IS great thinking, and will last a lifetime (IMHO), and is a good quality device. Depending on your style and needs, it has great potential for YOU.

Good luck Peter and I hope that the new video will help everyone understand and appreciate the effect more if it fits their way of performing.

Off to find an invisible glove. Smile

Mike
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3879 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Mine should be arriving today. Based off of what I've read thus far, I'm now morbidly curious to see what it is. Now I just need to buy the Examiner by PHP. I can have a theme act where every trick requires me to hold a marker in my hand while performing Smile
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
Mine will arrive tomorrow or next week. I was also very excited to get it, now I'm not sure. I have a few useless gimmicks already - don't need another one. In what kind of situations would Phantom work best? Will it work for streetmagic? At work/in school? Is it impromptu? What about angles and is it best performed with only 1-2 people, or is a larger group better/worse? Will it be easier to perform close up, or at a distance?
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
I wouldn't get too high or low before you receive it. I've seen many products I've loved get trashed by a few commenters and then it be highly rated later and vice versa. This seems like it's going to be one of those divisive effects that people disagree on. Let's hope it's that and not a complete bust.
Dazzler UK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
108 Posts

Profile of Dazzler UK
Initial impression of this is that the handling doesn't look natural. A few of the comments I didn't want to hear have been spot on sadly :-(
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
428 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
After less then 10 min. practise with the gimmick I was able to to the rising card effect and works beautifully. Done with a borrowed deck this is pretty much killer. The way the gimmick is in play is both natural and motivated so don't see the big deal here.

M P
Dazzler UK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
108 Posts

Profile of Dazzler UK
I agree that the motivation and gimmick in play is natural just not the handling of the gimmick
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
I received this device and think, that I've allready seen a similar gimmick in one of peters other releases.

what can I say about this release? the demo video and the explanations are very well shot. perhaps something in the demo is missing?
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Ok, so I bought this to perform Genie in a bottle only. Very disappointed after hours of mucking around and using different bottles. Signing the bottle is overkill to start with, and the fact that a spec must have a very specific bottle type kills this for me. I don't see me using this at all(already have enough card effects) and am trying to sort something out with Penguin regarding reimbursement, as this is the only purchase I have ever been truly disappointed with and can't adapt to my performance style. Hopefully other people will have more luck as it is a truly ingenious gimmick.
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2015, markhitton wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2015, Dazzler UK wrote:
Just because someone is a new member does not mean they are new to magic. Just saying!

You re right means something else
Smile

It means they've got better things to do than sit in a imaginary Café stirring imaginary coffee.
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
948 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Nobody forces you to stay I'm just imaginary Smile
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
948 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Like your gimmick disappointment?
It works fine and its a new 007 kind method Smile
dynamite magic shop
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
21 Posts

Profile of dynamite magic shop
Hi,

we received our first batch yesterday, I watched the entire instructional video's which has FULL PERFORMANCES as the spectators would see it (including your secret handling of course) and I think it will be a great seller. That means that if we show it as Peter does it, people should buy easily. The pen is made very well, I only played with it for an hour but it will used for sure in the shop as a demo so we can test and test and test.....Smile

Great Job Peter....I did post that yesterday already on Facebook.

Apart from the Phantom gimmick my opinion about produc-video's.

I agree there is a lot of editing nowadays in product-demo's and often close to the edge of being acceptable. I think it is fair however as the video exaclty shows what the SPECTATOR would see during a routine. You cannot misdirect a camera but you can misdirect a spectator so you have to overcome this part by editing maybe. Don't forget that these video's are meant to SELL products to magicians, in the past we could sell items by demoing them into our shop...that was WAY easier then with a video as people can watch it over and over again and are looking for methods instead of thinking about the EFFECT itself. Your goal is to ENTERTAIN people with an effect, NOT to present them with a PUZZLE they have to solve. These are two completely different ways of stepping into your acts and you will see the fooling will be way easier when you are entertaining as well Smile

Enough for now!
Dazzler UK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
108 Posts

Profile of Dazzler UK
Its the fact that I already had this gimmick from one of Peter's previous releases that disappointed me. Thought I was getting something else. The gimmick is cool no denying it. But I don't want 2. I've requested a refund also.
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2015, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2015, FrankieF wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2015, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2015, FrankieF wrote:
Heres an honest review. Yes it is a very cool Gadget/ Gimmick, but that's all. It's for magicians who want a new toy. The ad copy is not exactly 100% true and this is not even close to practical. I could never rely on this. Also the handling of the gimmick is so awkward. I'm so disappointed in this product I'm going to return it and get my money back.

This "review" if someone would call it that sounds suspect without more detail. In what way is the ad copy not 100% correct? In what way is it not close to being practical? Why could you never rely on this? How is the handling awkward? Honestly we would need more details before such a review could be taken with more than a grain of salt.

I can't say too much with out revealing the method, but I'll give you a hint it's not practical because it's simply just not practical in the real world. The method is not reliable. The handling just feels awkward. Why did you get so offended and angry?

My apologies, I didn't intend to be taken as offended nor angry. Thank You for the further clarification. Do you feel that the product would improve with patience and practice or maybe even with further tips or instruction or is it beyond hopeless?

No worries. Also I just feel like it's awkward to hold the gimmick in your hand while doing it. It's just not for me, the trailer doesn't really show him holding the gimmick while the animations are happening. ( The Gimmick is seen by the spectators but is "unsuspecting") Even if they could somehow improve it, it's just not for me, nor is it a worker.
Dazzler UK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
108 Posts

Profile of Dazzler UK
There will be 2 sets of opinions I think. Anyone who owns one of Peters previous releases maybe dissapointed when they recieve this. Anybody else who doesn't may love it in my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom by Peter Eggink (97 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL