The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom by Peter Eggink (97 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..15~16~17 [Next]
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I think the problem is more the fact that the combination of the demo being "cleverly" shot and the ad saying no invisible thread; has helped people wrongly assume this means no thread at all. Either way, the video gives the impression this is cleaner than it is which I don't think is on with a product that requires a custom gimmick. I appreciate if your trick is move based then you wont want to tip everything, but that isn't the case here; so why not an honest demo to allow people to decide.

I think people, including myself, feel agreived becasue there are already lots of really good haunted deck and rising cards out there that are much much cleaner than this and consequently the cleverly shot video has prompted a purchase that I suspect many simply would not have made had they have known the pen needs to be in play in a somewhat unatural way.

As I've said before, this "clever" marketing seems to be happening more and more with rarely a week passing where there isn't some sort of controversy at best and at worst, consumers being outright lied to. I appreciate the purpose of the advert is to sell products but I do think we have a right to be given enough info to make an informed decision. If nothing else, it couldve been mentioned in the ad copy as a relevant point.

I used this analogy in another thread, but this missing info feels almost as bad as lying. It's like buying a drill from a DIY shop, getting it home and discovering it only drills through polystyrene (the polystyrent in the ad was made to look like concrete). Sure; they've not lied to you per se; it is a drill, but the limitations are soemthing we'd like to know and that would influence our purchase.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Cool response, Mark - thanks!

Us oldies can remember the sensation of ordering something from a catalogue and being bitterly disappointed when it arrived. "Is that IT? Oh for heaven's sake!"

Video demos have gone a long way towards dispelling that disappointment but this is a great example of how the manufacturers stay one step ahead. Perhaps it will always be this way, until someone invents real magic.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, Ross W wrote:

Mark Traversoni (Saturn UK) has been unusually quiet on this one! It was he who devised the excellent handling for Peter Eggink's Haunted.

Can we deduce he is keeping a diplomatic silence?

Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, Saturn UK wrote:

I have been watching this thread with interest but have not posted before because I guess some would say as a dealer you would say that...but here goes.

I am of the option reading the ad copy that it it correct.

Some are saying there is thread but reading the ad copy as pointed out already the ad copy says no invisible thread.
If you asked me to supply you invisible thread you would not expect to receive the item used, it is thread but not what we call invisible thread that many fear.

The problem is many have read this to mean no thread, I'm sorry to point this out but this is not the fault of the ad copy.

In this modern cyber information age, the creators and distributors still think that we (the magicians) can be easily fooled and taken for a jolly good ride by their so called clever advertising and hype campaign. Well they might have deceived a few but certainly not all. And now you come in and try to justify and teach us the difference between a Thread and an Invisible Thread? Mark, I am sorry to say that your above statement has only added insult to injury. Pathetic.

And you need to remember & keep in mind what you said, and may I please quote:-

Quote:

. . . reputations are soon lost.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Jeez Ustaad...

Mark didn't write the copy. He's only offering 'his' opinion of it and the effect in general.

You offer people 'your' opinion all the time.
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
To be clear; I'm annoyed about this, but I'm not annoyed at dealers; I'm annoyed at the person / people who made the trailer. I actually feel sorry for dealers when this sort of rubbish gets released as I imagine they sometimes struggle to move the stock!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8265 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I agree with Ustaad. No one can defend this particular add. It is deceit in its worse form. Shame on the producers of this effect.
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
Ok, got mine today. I really haven't tried it. Just watched the video. It doesn't seem very practical, but I will give it a chance. Nothing wrong with the gimmick itself, but it's the way it's used/held that ruins it (I think), looks very unnatural. Almost like wearing a tinfoilhat when performing a cardtrick. Everyone will ask you why you're wearing a tinfoilhat, and you really can't explain why...
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1789 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
The video although shot the way it is is no less deceiving than many, I can think of one effect that uses a mirror hanging behind the table top, in the video you can't see the mirror but it is there if the spectator was to lean over and look.
The video is obviously not going to show you that angle either, is that video deceiving no its just hiding the secret. It also means that trick is no use to anyone unless performed in that way show, this is often cause for disappointment also.

that's not a good analogy. I know which trick you are referring to and that's perfectly fine they do not show the secret in the trailer because its never visible during the routine. In this case, to only show a tight close up of the deck while there is clearly a pen in your hand in actual performances is as deceiving as it gets since the spectator clearly sees your hand isn't empty.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
kevishu
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of kevishu
I'm very disappointed in this product as well. But it's just as frustrating to see that some are basing their disgust on the fact the ad says no invisible thread. Some people truely don't like working with invisible thread, and so this is an alternative, although in my opinion not a good one. But I do believe that's why it's completely fair to state in the ad that it does not use invisible thread. The problems with this effect are not entirely common with the problems associated purely with invisible thread methods, making it an issue unrelated to invisible thread. Personally, I prefer invisible thread methods to the one used in Phantom. But if I absolutely hated working with invisible thread (for the commonly known reason), this does provide an alternative method which avoids that issue.
Mejais
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Mejais
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, djefvulen wrote:
Ok, got mine today. I really haven't tried it. Just watched the video. It doesn't seem very practical, but I will give it a chance. Nothing wrong with the gimmick itself, but it's the way it's used/held that ruins it (I think), looks very unnatural. Almost like wearing a tinfoilhat when performing a cardtrick. Everyone will ask you why you're wearing a tinfoilhat, and you really can't explain why...

USE THE TINFOIL HAT FOR MISDIRECTION. THEY WONT QUESTION THE PEN.
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, Mejais wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, djefvulen wrote:

USE THE TINFOIL HAT FOR MISDIRECTION. THEY WONT QUESTION THE PEN.

And a toaster under my arm, and a propeller on the tinfoilhat. It might just work.
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
HOLD ON A MINUTE, AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE WITH REGARDS TO THE AD COPY????

OKAY, peter wins with the NO INVISIBLE THREAD LINE, HE IS DECEITFULLY CORRECT, He's done us.... but... the ad copy also says NO ELASTICS!! NO ELALSTICS!!!!! IF a piece of FLEXIBLE FISHING LINE on a TENSION BASED spring that SNAPS BACK is NOT ELASTIC, then what is!??????????????????????? COME ON!!!!!!

Let's look at the ENTIRE ad copy one more time and assess:

NO Invisible Thread! - Okay, Peter, you've done me.
NO Loops! - 2-0 to you... EVEN though on the haunted deck you are LOOPING the fishing line around the deck.... durh
NO Elastics! - The ENTIRE GIMMICK IS BASED AROUND A TENSION AND a cord of fishing line on a spring... this is as elasticy as it gets... DON'T !@#$%^&* ME!
NO Skill! -
NO Magnets! - obviously... but why would this be a selling point anyway? What's wrong with magnets?
All borrowed items! - NOPE! You can't borrow the pen!!! You have to SUPPLY A GIMMICKED CRAPPY PEN YOURSELF IDIOT!!!!!
Easy to do with ZERO sleight of hand! - Absolute rubbish. It's horrific to perform, Nacky, looks STUPID, clumsy and actually involves a PEN SWITCH which actually classes as sleight of hand.
ALWAYS ready to go! - It's NEVER READY TO GO!!!! yOU HAVE to go through a distingly stupid process of attaching a line of fishing line to the middle of a deck using a blob of wax that will hardly ever hold anyway!
Instant reset! - Again, see above... getting into this trick is a pointless nightmare.
Extremely well made gimmick! - It's the most pointless gimmick I've ever handled... the pen DOESN'T EVEN WRITE!!!!

SO THERE YOU GO, this analysis proves that We've been LIED TO on about 7 occassions and TRICKED on the other couple of points. I was ready to let this go but with people coming on here defending the ad copy... I coulnd't resist a final pop at this.

It's laughable. Who the hell wrote this ad copy?m I thought Peter was a trusted guy?
Modern Day Jesus and Creator:

REVELATION GUM - Chewed Gum into Impossible Shape
MAGICALL- The Fake Call App For Magicians
THE WILLY - The Rudest Trick You Can Do

#TeamSaturn
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1242 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Come on Peter when it's all going well you're happy to post!
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Excellent review magicmarkworldwide2, I have just placed my order 👍
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2438 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Is this like the same gimmick as with the Hole effect he put out?
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1225 Posts

Profile of magicman29
I'll keep this review short and sweet... it went straight into the bin!

Kieran
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, magicman29 wrote:
I'll keep this review short and sweet... it went straight into the bin!

Kieran

Lol,i like it.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
779 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
These are some comments from penguin magic customers. And also in fairness to penguin they do publish there negative reviews on their post...Unlike Ellusionist whom only publish positive reviews.

Phantom by Peter Eggink

be ready to Astonish...

"Phantom" is a specially engendered utility gimmick that you'll carry with you everywhere you go. This new secret weapon allows you to perform killer effects such as the "Haunted Deck" and "Rising Card" like NEVER before. Use ANY deck, ANY time at ANY place, WITHOUT gimmicked cards, Sleight of hand, etc. Perform authentic miracles on the spot using BORROWED items! You are going to LOVE this gimmick!

Other effects include: Catch a "Ghost" in a BORROWED bottle and watch the bottle EERILY and MAGICALLY unscrew itself from the cap! Then, Hand the ENTIRE thing out for examination.

The gimmick is invisible to the spectator's eye and is easy & totally FUN to perform!

Key Points:
•NO Invisible Thread!
•NO Loops!
•NO Elastics!
•NO Skill!
•NO Magnets!
•All borrowed items!
•Easy to do with ZERO sleight of hand!
•ALWAYS ready to go!
•Instant reset!
•Extremely well made gimmick!

Comes complete with the special "Phantom" gimmick along with an HD streaming instructional video, showcasing different routines, ideas and performance tips.

Have a question about this product?
ASK HERE

Write a review!

Customer Reviews (showing 1 - 4 of 4)
3 of 3 magicians found the following review helpful:

False Advertising, Great demo vid to cover it Report this review
Anonymous from Virginia on September 2nd, 2015

Wow.
I can't believe that the ad copy and demo got passed the common sense people and this is being sold. I can't pinpoint the ad copy, as it would give away the gimmick and I am not about that. But don't buy this. You will be highly disappointed.

NOT easy to do at all. Extremely awkward at best.

I will have to say this. It is a decent idea to an idea that had been already out there n a few forms that I have seen. Yes, I said forms.. Hard to explain.

And good luck getting to the streaming video instructions.

Did this review help you? Do you want to respond to this review?

Buy at your own risk Report this review
Anonymous from CA on September 3rd, 2015

The ad copy and video for Phantom are extremely misleading. Buyers beware.

First, It indicates in the ad copy that invisible thread is not used. This is semantics. Beware.

Second, the thing that comes from the gimmick for just over 3 inches. Thus the gimmick cannot be that far away from the card(s). When you watch the videos you clearly see beyond 3 inches around the deck or bottle cap and you do not see the gimmick being held. Without giving it away the gimmick is about 5.5 inches long so not something you can miss. The gimmick looks like something we are all familiar with but imagine holding a long 5 inch object next to the box or bottle for no apparent reason as the card rises or the bottle/cap spin... it's suspicious. If the gimmick is used in the demo it's done in a deceptive (misleading manner) that you would not be able to get away with in real use. The gimmick would have to extend from the back of the hand (and again it is 5.5 inches long). On the video instructions the gimmick looks glaringly odd in the position required. This is simply not shown on the trailer. The video performance in the instructional section is disappointing. In the trailer it looks like magic. As noted, in my opinion, the demo was not done using the gimmick. I'm all about giving the positive points of a trick (or anything you are advertising) but not misleading the buyer.

I like Peter's thinking but this was bad and the thing that upset me was the advertising and trailer he provided.

I have been ripped off! I want my money back! Report this review
Verified buyer CJJanis from Chicago on September 4th, 2015

Wow I was expecting much better from Peter, but this is garbage! The ad is a total lie, and I have to say I would not be selling this. The gimmick is BBBBBBIGGGGGG and out in the open for all to see!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3381 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Yep, if you have space at the back of your draw that needs to be filled then this is what you need to fill it.
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
After trying to get this thing to work I contacted Penguin and asked for reimbursement in the way of equivalent downloads. They agreed the ad copy was misleading and were happy to refund. I got this only for the Genie In A Bottle and sad to say that trick is nowhere near 100%. Luckily I'm not a big gimmick buyer and this reminds me why. Top marks to Mert at Penguin for reimbursing me within a couple of hours of me contacting them.Live and learn,luckily Haunted Doll blew people way over the weekend.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom by Peter Eggink (97 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL