The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom by Peter Eggink (97 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..15~16~17 [Next]
luckyspotz
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of luckyspotz
I've seen a lot of mind pretzel and splitting hairs, both here and elsewhere, attempting to explain or minimize deceptive advertising. Reality check: deceptive advertising is NOT acceptable and in fact, federal law in the United States requires that ads be truthful AND not misleading.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-re......ertising

Deceptive trick = GO
Deceptive advertising = NOGO
normative
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of normative
Well, it's not really a "Catch-22" so much as a plain old "tradeoff": You take the risk of being disappointed in a product that doesn't live up to its sales pitch in order to guarantee you get one if it turns out to be hit. But while to SOME extent I'll buy the argument that this is a knowing risk, it seems awfully perverse to say people shouldn't complain about deceptive advertising because everyone knows ads are misleading. There's ordinary allowance for hype——few products are exactly as MINDBLOWINGLY LIFE CHANGING as the trailers imply——and then there's... well, stuff like this.
normative
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of normative
Incidentally, since Slackerking mentioned it upthread, thought I'd point out that Amazon is, for some weird reason, currently selling the Spider Pen Pro (currently $99+ at all the usual online magic shops) for the "is that a mistake??" price of $19.99. They're showing 5 remaining, so maybe they're clearing out old stock or something? Anyway, PSA in case there are folks who'd always wanted one but couldn't stomach the price——just snagged 2 myself. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NHP......_o01_s00
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4841 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, RNK wrote:
If you are one that likes to pre-order and end up unhappy with your purchase should not complain. Everyone is WELL AWARE of deceiving ad copies in today's world.

So its my fault the creator sold this in the basis of a video that basically omits the fact a pen has to be held? As it goes I only bought this as it was relatively cheap and I had a voucher code over bank holiday; otherwise I wouldve waited. However I still think the onus is on the creator to be honest and the video is simply dishonest in my opinion. The ad copy is probably just about honest on a technicality.

The thing is that magic is niche and without pre orders a lot of tricks would never see the light of day so in my opinion its not fair to say "pre orders are bad". All I can do is act by a) not buying anything from peter again and b) make sure this sort of thing isn't forgotten or overlooked. Therefore expect to see me harping on about this anytime a new release comes up.

No Paul- it is definitely not your fault that "the creator sold this in the basis of a video that basically omits the fact a pen has to be held?" You, others and even myself at times- it's been our fault by purchasing pre-order products. My only point is there have been many cases, and many increasing cases of people not happy with what they received as compared to the ad. We all know this, therefore it's our fault that we continue to buy pre-orders. That's all I am saying. We all have been a victim of it from time to time. That being said, I have maybe 4 creators who I trust and will pre-order. IF I would pre-order a product from ONE of those FOUR and was not happy about it. I would not complain and they would go on my DO NOT Pre-Oder List. Burn me once- I will not pre-order from you even if it means there may be a limited quantity release and I may lose out by not getting one. Oh well, there is way to much magic/mental effects out there that by not getting that one product will not make me a worse performer.
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I know what you mean rnk. The problem is that irrispective of pre order; someone has to buy first and on the strength of a couple of shop owners; this sounded great? I guess what I am saying is there always needs to be someone taking a leap of faith.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Hole , is much better than this though ~
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Dazzler UK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
108 Posts

Profile of Dazzler UK
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, Magician560 wrote:
Hole , is much better than this though ~

Agreed. A bit knacky but better.
There are two rules for success..... 1. Never reveal everything you know.
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
422 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
Here's a full performance video of the Rising Card effect with gimmick in play incl. the "secret move" (which in real life situations won't be noticed by your specs. due to the natural build-in misdirection).

https://youtu.be/RH_h0L2elps

Thanks,

Peter
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, Peter Eggink wrote:
Here's a full performance video of the Rising Card effect with gimmick in play incl. the "secret move" (which in real life situations won't be noticed by your specs. due to the natural build-in misdirection).

Thanks,

Peter

I wonder how many will change their mind now Peter... I don't actually think it looks bad at all, and some say it is an unnatural handling... have you see the way Magicians 'juggle cards', how some do their 'DL'?! What constitutes as natural?! I may take advantage of someone selling theirs second hand after seeing this, I have some ideas I can think would work with this. Have you seen how lay people shuffle a deck?! How clumsy some of them are, and how they handle a pack of cards like it is red hot?! We don't see the way they shuffle a pack of cards or whatever as natural, as it isn't natural to us, however if it is natural to them.

Well done Peter
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4841 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, Paul S Wingham wrote:
I know what you mean rnk. The problem is that irrispective of pre order; someone has to buy first and on the strength of a couple of shop owners; this sounded great? I guess what I am saying is there always needs to be someone taking a leap of faith.

I think you know as well I as I know- there will always be someone out there that will buy. Too many addicts out there.
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, Peter Eggink wrote:

Thanks,

Peter

I wonder how many will change their mind now Peter... I don't actually think it looks bad at all, and some say it is an unnatural handling... have you see the way Magicians 'juggle cards', how some do their 'DL'?! What constitutes as natural?! I may take advantage of someone selling theirs second hand after seeing this, I have some ideas I can think would work with this. Have you seen how lay people shuffle a deck?! How clumsy some of them are, and how they handle a pack of cards like it is red hot?! We don't see the way they shuffle a pack of cards or whatever as natural, as it isn't natural to us, however if it is natural to them.

Well done Peter

I agree, it doesn't look bad. I think it look worse in the teaching video than it does in this video. I certainly will give it a try. This video should be included in the ad, then people might have not been so disappointed. Would be nice with some more videos like this, but with haunted deck and the bottle.
Dazzler UK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
108 Posts

Profile of Dazzler UK
Performed nicely.
There are two rules for success..... 1. Never reveal everything you know.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2428 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
As I said earlier on this effect. Thinking it was like the hole gimmick and I was right. I pulled my hole gimmick out and did the rising card effect just like on his demo. Not bad Petter. It works like a charm. I kinda like it. I wont need to buy the Phantom gimmick even if not the same but can use my hole gimmick just the same. No jokes please lets keep it clean. Even my hole gimmick is clean. LOL
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Performed well, but why the hell would anyone logically be wanting to hold a pen whist holding the card box. To even justify people possibly changing their mind, I think its only fair and an idea to post a private live performance vid like above of each effect (e.g haunted deck) so people can see the potential of turning this negative maybe into a positive.
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Dare I say that this thread seems to be another example of magicians overthinking everything?

Seems like it works fine and it didn't look suspicious to me at all.

For the record I was never going to buy it, and still aren't...but good job Peter.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1789 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
As I said earlier, its more unnatural for the performer... not the spectator. Holding the pen in that position feels weird.... and the angle also helps for the deck to be facing the spectator as in the demo.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I just wanted to answer the question about pre-ordering. I only said it "can" be important because it can help to raise finances in a short space of time. Putting out a new product is not always cheap. Set up charges, prototypes and changes, packaging etc.. By offering pre-orders during, say a two week period, it's an enticement to those who wish to get the product first but also helps to bolster depleted finances.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
So, it seems this item works well as part of a combo of effects.... but yeah, in the end, I could do this for loops and not need the pen Smile

I guess the question is - why use this vs. loops?

The video looks great but then it seems to me you need to do one effect with a time misdirection to switch in the gimmick hmmmm
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1554 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, normative wrote:
Incidentally, since Slackerking mentioned it upthread, thought I'd point out that Amazon is, for some weird reason, currently selling the Spider Pen Pro (currently $99+ at all the usual online magic shops) for the "is that a mistake??" price of $19.99. They're showing 5 remaining, so maybe they're clearing out old stock or something? Anyway, PSA in case there are folks who'd always wanted one but couldn't stomach the price——just snagged 2 myself. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NHP......_o01_s00

Purchased at that price even though I have Fearson's Cobra
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1397 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
OMG it show 95$ now :s
10S Star Sign Divination AVAILABLE WITH FREE EBOOK !
PM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom by Peter Eggink (97 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL