The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Teeth Lift mouth piece (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
Hey guys. As always it is a great pleasure to talk with such a great array of professionals (hoping the flattery gets me a good answer). I have working on a world's most unlikely strongman act (The tall skinny guy that I am) and I am looking to see if anyone has some suggestions about a resource for a leather mouth piece for lifting a spectator with my teeth.

I have read several descriptions in books like Ottley's How to Perform Strongman Feats but I wanted to see if anyone here had either made one before or had a resource for a custom made piece from a prop maker or leather shop. Thank you in advance for your help.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Some circus aerialists suspend others from their mouths. Not a ton of help, but maybe a lead to what direction to go in.

or maybe here for another lead: http://usawa.com/teeth-lifting/
WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
I had totally forgotten about the aerialists connection and was over focusing. Really appreciate it "The Sponge". It is appearing more and more like if I want one of these I will have to pickup the leather and rivet one together myself. The whole time I am thinking about this feat I am now reminded of Houdini's early childhood attempt to copy the circus aerialists he saw at the big top and ripping out his front teeth due to lack of knowledge. Hoping my attempt goes better.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
This strongman doesn't know either, but he at least posts a pic you may be able to go off of.
http://www.dennisrogers.net/teeth-lifting-device/
WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
That is the best Pic I have seen of the device so far. I think I will try to bring this to a leather worker and see what they can come up with too. Thank you again.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've seen several designs. One is like the one pictured...kind of like a key fob. Another is more like a full-formed mouthpiece, made from a mold. The other was in between.

I think the question you need to answer for yourself is how you want your teeth to work. If it's a fob-like design, you'll have to use a lot of jaw-strength to clamp down on it. If it's a fitted piece, the shape will help distribute the weight more evenly around your teeth and jaw.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
I would like as mush weight to be born by the maxilla and across the zygomatic parts of my skull rather than my teeth. If I understand the mechanics, ideally you want to exert the tension force on as stable of support structure as possible and I believe the point of the piece pictured is to hook into the top of the mouth rather than using the teeth. So I definitely need to customize either design to my mouth no matter what. I can see the application of the mouth guard since it would be the row of rear teeth locking down and supporting each other to resist the tension force. Do you happen to know the resource used for the fitted mouth guard? Maybe some google fu on my part to see what might be in order.

Most likely I will have a leather working friend mock up something and then dial in everything through experimentation with little weight and slowly increase the weight as I develop the piece.

Thank you Harley Newman.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The leather fobs are just for gripping with the teeth, and I think they're what are used in competitions. It's not my specialty, however, so I'm unsure.

I'd go with more of a mouthguard. The extra support makes sense. I like having teeth, and I don't like having to pay the dentist to fix them.

Good luck!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
VMids
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of VMids
Didn't Blaine did something similar in the past?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I don't know, but he's beginning to do things I consider interesting.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Teeth Lift mouth piece (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL