The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Funkenring (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Does anybody know of any dealers currently having funkenrings in stock... just need the traditional one not Sylvester the Jester's... seems everybody is out.

thanks

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Don't buy one. They're garbage. Last about two weeks.

Jim
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2305 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Daytona Magic had them at the SAM convention in July.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Propdog.co.uk used have them but it doesn't appear on their website currently
I googled and found the German made one here http://www.illusioncraft.co.uk/funken-ring-trick/
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5486 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2015, Quentin wrote:
Propdog.co.uk used have them but it doesn't appear on their website currently
I googled and found the German made one here http://www.illusioncraft.co.uk/funken-ring-trick/

The German one is the best. I have had mine for over 5 years and its still working just like the first day I bought it. But it has to be the German one- all others are bad.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Madhatter Magic has the regular one (the one you're being told not to buy because it is "bad") for those who need one when they need one and aren't planning to put it in their estate after they head for the great magic show finale. You can get 6 for $20 as of this date:

http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......_id=3045

I realize they are not made to last a lifetime and so I treat them with care and get lots of use from them. And because they don't cost so much, (and I have spares) I don't cry when they go sproing! for the last time.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
965 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
What about the kevin James.....Makin Sparks ?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5486 Posts

Profile of RNK
If you mean Makin Sparks by Sylvester the Jester then yes- I like mine and well made.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I just got one from Magic N Such. It's German made, and it works well, but I've only had it a short time, so I can't say anything about the durability yet.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Quentin
While not a Funkenring, a white D'Lite is a good stand-in.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1172 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
I love the concept of a funkenring so I did a fresh google search and lo and behold! One of my actual real-life friends here in Norway have the original Funkenring in stock!

Order here: http://www.leirpoll.com/funken.htm

PS: Jarle gave me no discount by posting this here.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I have an older one, all-metal, German-made. Never used. Ring has been removed.

Steve
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1217 Posts

Profile of imgic
Company called Theatre FX has Funkenring, and other options:

http://www.theatrefx.com/handheld-devices.html
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
glowball
View Profile
Loyal user
Nashville TN
227 Posts

Profile of glowball
Sorry for this long post but I wanted to let everyone know how to fix their funken ring.
I plan to make a YouTube video on this but that will take a while so for now please read on.

I am aware of Harold Voit's excellent YouTube video but that is to replace the flint on a prior working funken ring. My post here is addressing other issues.

These rings have a history of having poor quality and not working but I do believe the German made ones to be better. The first one I bought was from Al's magic shop in Washington DC in the 1960s and I do not remember having as many problems that the current ones have. Most of the current ones I believe are made in China and the quality control can be pitiful.

I just bought two flasher rings from Penguin Magic, I always buy at least two because I have a better chance of getting a good one but both of these were dead on arrival not able to produce even one spark. I'll show you why in just a minute but first let's take apart this flasher ring and show the internal workings so you'll know what can happen and sometimes how to fix it.

Note that I usually break off and discard the cheap brass colored ring that kinda fits on your finger because they normally are not very secure and it just gets in the away.
To open the device you must pry up one little metal tab that's right at the top curved part of the device. Do NOT pry up any of the other tabs because they are holding internal parts.

Note that there are three springs inside. first the big power spring that I will refer to as the wind up spring, second is a pusher spring that is used to hold the plunger up and third and most importantly is the flint spring which is the most important part of this explanation. The Flint spring is the smallest of the three springs and as the name suggests it puts just enough pressure on the flint against the abrasion wheel. The flint is a tiny little black cylinder about the thickness of a pencil lead and about a quarter inch long. There is supposed to be an adjustment screw to tighten or loosen the flint spring but unfortunately my two devices were totally missing the adjustment screw, missing the flint spring and missing the flint itself therefore there was no way that these could produce any sparks!
Inside the device there is a little 1/2-in long brass tube that holds the flint, the flint spring and a tiny screw.

The Pusher spring is holding the pusher metal button which is a strip of metal that bends around and makes contact with the abrasion wheel preventing it from spinning.

The manufacturer really needs to adopt some of the Toyota manufacturing techniques specifically the pokeyoke methods. I am retired and as a side note I taught the Toyota just-in-time methods for about 12 years and one of these methods is the mistake proofing concept called pokeyoke.

As part of my training in Tokyo Japan at a Toyota plant a worker putting together a valve assembly had little bins with various parts with a lid on the bins and if the bins were not all opened during assembly (and then automatically closed) to get the necessary parts to put the assembly together then the first part for the next assembly would have its lid temporarily locked thus alerting the worker that they had missed putting a part in the valve.

Of course another direct quality test for a simple thing like this sparking ring would be to wind it up push the button and see if you got any sparks which apparently was not done.

Okay back to my problem of the missing internal parts. I thought about calling Penguin Magic and returning the two Sparker rings and getting replacements but the replacements would probably have the same problem also the fact that the devices only cost about $6 made me curious as to whether I could repair them.

First I bought a 4 pack of Zippo "spring and screw" assemblies off of the internet. These springs were way too long but I could cut them shorter but the bigger problem is that the screw mechanism appear not to have the right threads for the Sparker ring.

Also I needed a flint for each device so I purchased three different packs of cigarette lighters from Dollar tree and one 2 pack from Walmart even though Walmart had some of the same lighters as Dollar tree but Dollar tree was cheaper.

I used a small screwdriver and pried open the metal top of each type of cigarette lighter and removed the striker and underneath was the flint and the flint spring which easily fell out.

The flint spring and the flints from all the lighters will fit into the brass tube in the funken device, Yaaaa, however the springs are way too long for the Sparker ring but they can easily be cut down to the correct length.

I want to talk about the four different kinds of cigarette lighters that I purchased:
Dollar tree generic three pack lighters have the smallest flint and the shortest flint spring.
Dollar tree Scripto 2 pack lighters have normal small flint and normal flint spring.
The Dollar tree Bic lighter has the longest flint and normal spring length.
The above three types of lighters all have a little plastic tube to hold the flint spring but these plastic tubes are built in and are not removable.
The Clipper lighters from Walmart have normal size flint and normal size spring but they have a black plastic removable spring holder with an adjustable screw.

Here are 3 different ways to fix the missing spring and flint problem.

Method 1. Buy the Scripto lighter ($1 from Dollar Tree) and remove the flint and buy Zippo replacement screw/spring from the internet then cut off the majority of the flint spring leaving the screw with about a tad more than a quarter inch of spring. Insert the following into the brass tube in the funken device: the flint and then the spring/screw combo (you should be able to tighten the screw one or two turns even if the threads do not match).

Method 2. Buy the Bic lighter ($1 from Dollar Tree) and remove the flint and flint spring from the lighter then cut off the majority of the flint spring leaving about a half inch of spring. Insert the following into the brass tube in the funken device: the flint and then the half inch flint spring.
After the funken ring has been fully assembled then cut a small rectangle from an old credit card (or thin hard plastic) and Gorilla tape it tightly across the top of the flint spring to apply a little tension and prevent the flint spring from popping out.

Method 3. Buy the Clipper lighter ($2 from Walmart) and remove the flint and use pliers to unscrew the flint spring from the black tube. Cut and discard the top of the black tube that held the flint spring but retain the bottom inch that has the internal screw threads. You then must find a way to glue that one inch piece of the black tube onto the end of the brass tube in such a way that no glue gets inside either the brass tube or the black tube (be sure NOT to glue the threaded portion of the black tube onto the brass tube, in other words the threaded portion of the black tube should be sticking out through the top of the funken ring). Perhaps temporarily insert a long toothpick into the black tube/brass tube combo while the glue is drying (this also helps keep the two tubes in alignment). After the glue dries remove and discard the toothpick and then drop the flint into the black tube/brass tube. Cut and discard some of the top portion of the flint spring/screw combo so that the screw has about an inch and a quarter of spring and can be inserted into the black tube/brass tube combo and screwed down to put tension on the flint. Ideally the screw should be an eighth of an inch from being fully seated (and still applying light tension on the flint spring against the flint). This will allow the screw to be tightened in the future as the flint wears down.

Regardless of which of the three methods above is used then use the key to wind up the powerful spring and then press the release button to see if sparks are made.

If the wind up spring does not release this probably means that the flint spring is applying too much pressure on the abrasive wheel not allowing it to move therefore you probably need a slightly shorter flint spring therefore cut about a 16th of an inch off of the flint spring.

If on the other hand the wind up spring DOES release and the abrasive wheel spins but there is no sparks then this probably means the flint spring is too short therefore replace it with a slightly longer flint spring.

If the internal gears are jammed then insert the wind up key and try to jiggle it back and forth at the same time holding down the release button.

I actually did method 2 on one of my sparker rings and it is now working fine. I plan to try method 3 on my second sparker ring.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1172 Posts

Profile of Montana76
This is great!
I would love to see a Youtube video on this process.

Have a great week!
glowball
View Profile
Loyal user
Nashville TN
227 Posts

Profile of glowball
Please see this link which has my same big post but also at end has my post to use a q-tip with the ends cut off instead of a toothpick for method 3.

Also I found that a silver colored nickel-sized magnet is great to put on the front of the funken device to hold the windup key when not in use.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......tart=0#2
glowball
View Profile
Loyal user
Nashville TN
227 Posts

Profile of glowball
After more experimenting with method 2:
I found that you do not need the credit card plastic piece on top, instead just push down and tightly place the duck/gorilla tape strip (1/2 inch by 9 inch) over top of the flint spring wrapping the remainder of the tape around the device avoiding the wind up area.

This puts enough downward pressure on the flint spring to make the device work well.

I'm going to call this method 4 (the best method).

Simplified instructions:
if your device is not making any sparks then do the following;

1. with a very small flat blade screwdriver make sure the brass tube barrel is empty then turn the device upside down and shake it so any loose parts will fall out through the hole.
2. insert the flint from a cheap $1 Bic lighter into the barrel.
3. insert the long spring from the Bic lighter into the barrel and cut the spring to stick out about 3/16 inch above the case top.
4. tightly duck/gorilla tape over top the spring.

Note that your device should be good for many more shows because the Bic flint is about twice as long.
glowball
View Profile
Loyal user
Nashville TN
227 Posts

Profile of glowball
If your device will not wind up (meaning that as you turn the key it prematurely unwinds) then the problem is most likely a weakened plunger button spring.

I had this happen therefore I pulled the plunger spring out from under the plunger button and then using pliers and a screwdriver I stretched the spring out a bit and then replaced that spring back under the button and then my device worked fine.
glowball
View Profile
Loyal user
Nashville TN
227 Posts

Profile of glowball
Be sure to use the flint from a Bic SLIM FLICK lighter or Scripto VIEWS lighter (do NOT buy the bic CLASSIC lighter because those flints will not fit into the funken device).
glowball
View Profile
Loyal user
Nashville TN
227 Posts

Profile of glowball
Just created a YouTube video on how to fix your flasher funken ring. This is my first truly edited video, but it has a lot of good information. To watch and hear click on the below and turn your volume up.

https://youtu.be/5YJw2xnnEr8
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Funkenring (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL