The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Top 5 classics (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
347 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
Select a set of three effects that flow together nicely, and practice them together.

Order the tricks such that the one with the most dramatic climax is the last and the quickest is first.

Select only tricks that can be done both close-up and platform and that can be done in the hands as opposed to on the table. This is to provide the greatest flexibility in your initial repertoire.

The above should give you a 10- to 15-minute show. Later add another three-trick set giving you a 20- to 30-minute show.

Some tricks that meet the above requirements are these:

Card to wallet
Ring flight
Ring to sealed envelope
Bill in lemon
Slydini knots
Died silks
Paper clipped (Sankey)
Invisible deck
Ninja rings
Mongolian knot (Haydn)
Linking finger rings
Ambitious card
Ultimate ambition (Daryl)
Whispering queen (Ron Wilson)
Chicago surprise (Haydn)
Card on ceiling
Egg bag
Newspaper tear (Elmsley)
Acaan (Wind)
Mental Photography ((Skinner)
Floating dollar (loops)
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2015, rjsmith608 wrote:
I was wondering what is considered the top 5 classics of magic that would be good to start with practising?

1. Cups and Balls
2. Twisting the Aces
3. Chinese Linking Rings
4. Slydini's Knotted Silks
5. Torn and Restored Newspaper
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
Years ago when I was helping organize some lesson series for school based magic clubs,
we focused "classic themes" rather that specific effects. Each student could select an effect from a list in each category
to be performed at a show as the end of the series. These were:

Rope Effects (C&R, fake knots, PN, linking ropes, etc.)
Ring Effects (linking,ring on rope,finger ring)
Silk effects (Sympathetic, 20th century, fake knots, etc)
Card Effects (sleight based, passes, card control, false count, etc)
Stage (prop based such as Forgetful Freddy, Die box, Squared Circle)

They were also encouraged to learn several simple effect such as self-working card tricks that could be taught to others as advertising.

Coin effects were not encouraged because of small hand size effecting sleight mastery, but could be substituted for card effects.

No "mental based" effects were allowed -- reserved for college level and above.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
805 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I'm beginning, too. And, right or wrong, I'm not learning "the classics." Instead, I'm concentrating on learning technique, and then I apply that technique to a number of tricks. I don't know if that's considered a good way to learn or not, but it's working for me. I'm also taking classes at the Magic Castle from Mark Wilson, and we are pretty much just going through his book, the "Complete Course in Magic," from start to finish. It has lots of principles and techniques in it. And some "classic" tricks.

But all of it just serves as a launch pad. If you have the skills, you can do any of the tricks, it seems to me. So I'm learning skills.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
ymumagic
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of ymumagic
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2015, Professor Marvel wrote:
For close up, the Okito Box is my favorite. Totally examinable and you can put together some great routines.

Hi Professor, do you have any routines on video with it? I'd love to see them!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I highly suggest you start with what you are attracted to most. Try to master just one really awesome effect. Think about what you would really enjoy performing and see if you can do it.

KJ
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Out of This World is my standard impromptu act. I always use their cards.

Rarely do I do a show without a 20th Century Silk (THEMED!) or THIS (Improved). The LINE of SILKS makes a stage show out of something that is not.

Of course, an old cowboy and Navy guy has to include a rope routine.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Russo
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Russo
Hi I've used the 20th centry silks - for 2 different stories - 1. three pigs -2 pigs tie their tails together(thats why their so curly L-O-L)- and hide in the closet(see later) 3rd(multi color silk) runs into his house(Jap hank box) when the wolf trys to blow it down the house(wolf trys a couple times and pigs jumps up -hahaha--)3rd(?) time wolf trys the pig is gone, he ran to the other pigs who were hiding in the closet(volenteer holding the 2 tied pigs- "don't squeeze them -or - you'll make sausage" L-O-L ) where they ar safe together.. 2nd story is a gospel one - Bob & Betty (holding hands-tied) ask Tommy to go to church with them- (like the wolf story tommy hides in his house ) they ask a few(2-3) times - last time he's asked , he's gone - where? in church with them (Bob & Bet are held by a volenteer using the 'church&steeple" clasp)becase B & B kept witnessing to Tom. ENJOY Ralph(russo)Rousseau, a 78+ (68 years Pro)happy sharing with you all.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
210 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2015, Zephury wrote:
The above posts are absolutely correct. More information is necessary in order to direct you to classics that you might personally enjoy. However, just to possibly peak your interest, I'll name a few of my favorites.

Great selection of effects and fantastic advice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Top 5 classics (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL