The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Marvel X-Men Fanning Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
No, Marvel did not put out a fanning deck when it partnered with Fantasma Magic to put out some tricks based on characters in the Marvel Universe.
However, if you check amazon.com or eBay, you might find the very nice poker-sized Marvel X-Men fanning deck shown on this link that I posted on the
Routined Manipulations
facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater

I'm always looking for playing cards marketed to the general public that make good exhibition fan designs, and this one is very nice.

There are currently 45 members on the Routined Manipulations page. If you are interested in joining the group, just click the Join button and tell me (as the administrator) that you found out about the page on The Magic Café. It is a closed group because sometimes we discuss techniques that we would not want the general public to stumble upon by accident. Mention that you learned about the page from the Finger/Stage Manipulation forum of The Magic Café. When I receive a new request to join the group, I generally check the person's own facebook page to see if there's an obvious connection to magic--like magicians that I know among the applicant's facebook friends.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
That Facebook link isn't working Sonny.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Hmmm... I just clicked it and it went right to the ppeg of the X-Men fanning deck.
Isn't technology wonderful?
I'll try to send the jpeg to you as a facebook message.

If anyone else is having trouble using the link I posted in the original message, please let me know.
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Leo, I just clicked it in my original post and it went right to the jpeg.
Hmmm... Isn't technology wonderful?
I'll see if I can send you th link via your facebook page.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I just clicked on it. I get a Facebook page with a box in the center that says:

Sorry, this content isn't available right now.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Thanks for the image Sonny! A great fanning deck! Had to get one.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2573 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Can someone supply a link to a page where this pack can be viewed. The Facebook link in the OP needs you to have permission to access the page.

Many thanks
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Try this link to a different page with the same X-Men fanning deck picture:
https://www.facebook.com/338764602812514......&theater

The original link that didn't work for some of you was to a special facebook group called
Routined Manipulations
It's a closed group because we sometimes discuss magic secrets that we wouldn't want the lay public to stumble upon.
Contact me via private message on The Magic Café and I will try to remember to send you an invitation to join the Routined Manipulations group.

The link I posted in this message is to the
IBM Ring 103 Norfolk
community Facebook page.

----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Those do look very good when fanned, reminds me of the famous deck Cardini used way back when.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2573 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thank you for posting the new link Anatole.

I found this Amazon site selling what appears to be the same deck. It has a slightly different design on the box but from this Ebay site selling the same thing it seems to be the same deck as the box and cards are shown.

It appears to be, Marvel's X-Men Comic Art Illustrated Poker Playing Cards Series 2 or Marvel X-Men Series 2 Comic Playing Cards.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Yes, the deck that Neal (Sealegs) posted a link to is the X-Men deck that I mentioned at the top of this thread. The faces generally have a yellow or blue border (yellow for hearts and diamonds; blue for clubs and spades).

It might be interesting to combine the X-Men deck with a deck like the Captain America or Beatles "Yellow Submarine" deck shown here:
or with the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine Deck"-- or the Mickey Mouse deck shown here:

They would also be good decks for Ganson's idea "Fan Finale" in _Routined Manipulations, Part One_ of gluing two decks together. (But instead of glue you might try tape that is adhesive on both sides. Glue is a little messy and takes a while to dry."

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I powdered that X-Men deck but it's still fighting me when I fan it. Breaks at certain points. Argh!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Leo H.,

Where it breaks, remove the card it broke at, and put it at the back of the deck, and fan again. I should be fine then.

Where it breaks is cards that did not get enough powder, take a cotton ball and wipe all the cards both side.

Check if the cut edges stick out a little, by running your finger ever the card. If it does, take strong spoon bowl and run it over the edges of the card.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Great advice Bill! Thank you! I've never had a problem powdering and fanning my fanning decks. First time this has happened. Could be the quality of this deck but the surface feels like air cushion to me.

A note about the cotton ball: Do you mean dip the cotton ball in a little fanning powder and wipe the backs and faces?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Leo, being they are already powdered, just use a cotton ball, no powder. If you think they need more, then use very little.

The famous Silvan fanning decks from Europe, says to run a spoon over the edges. When cards are stamped cut, all the pressure goes down, and if he cutter is not perfectly sharp will leave a micro edge that can catch and drag on the cards.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I'm curious as to whether any members of this forum treat their cards with wax rather than fanning powder. On the Stevens Greater Magic video, IIRC Shimada mentions briefly that he uses "paraffin wax from a candle" to treat his cards. Unfortunately he doesn't go into detail about how to apply the wax. Haruhiko Nagisa, whose superb card manipulations you can see in this youtube video at the 1:13 point, uses wax from a candle to treat his cards.

Nagisa has some very nice productions and flourishes in his routine. At the 1:28 point he takes a single card in his left hand and places it into the right hand fan, leaving it protruding for half its length. Then he turns stage right and his left hand reaches for the protruding card and removes it from the fan in the left hand, and suddenly that single card has changed into a fan of cards! The move at 1:56 is also a beautiful move, as is the move at 2:10-2:15

Nagisa is also one of the very few magicians--along with Sakoh I think--who uses the fan production method that Ganson recommended in _Card Magic bu Manipulation.--producing split fans of only 8 cards or so rather than the entire fan.

Nagisa also has a dancing cane lecture that is previewed on youtube at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7YFb3vEEs
He does some interesting moves in the routine. I would love to find out what kind of th---d he is using since it is invisible even against the light blue seamless photographer's backdrop paper. The th---d that came with the Creekmore canes was also what I used in these two videos:
against a bright red backdrop (sorry for the poor video quality)
and at 0:48 in this videoclip, again against a bright red backdrop:

If you have a Mac computer with QuickTime installed, you can me using see the same Creekmore stuff used with a Creekmore cane at 0:2:07 of this clip at a Magic Verginia lecture for IBM Ring 103
http://www.ibmring103.com/Video/Pages/Magic_Virginia.html
in front of a very bright blue backdrop. (That was from a lecture I did for IBM Ring 103. I specifically asked the audience at the lecture whether they had seen the you-know-what and even against that light blue backdrop under artifical light and light coming in from the windows (it was an afternoon lecture), the you-kn0w-what was totally invisible. I've tried contacting Stevens Magic, from whom I bought three different Creekmore canes, and they no longer carry the canes or the gimmick. If anyone knows a good source for that t----d, please PM me!

----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22399 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have several DVDs of Japanese magicians explaining the process of waxing a card. Thing is, none of them show the complete process. They all just show to draw a wide line of wax on the card, and then smooth it out. Thing is they do not demo this smoothing. You think after the centuries that they have used this method, someone would have come up with a tool to aid the fingers application.

I have Juliana Chen's DVD Shooting Cards, and she come the closest to explaining the method, but again, she does not show the process from beginning to end. I guess they all figure it is just to boring. You have to use your fingers as far as I know, and the heat of working the wax is only do to the heat produced by your rubbing. So it would take a long time (hours) just to do one deck. I would imagine your fingers would be very sore in the process. Then, the wax does move and build up from just and dirt, so you have to re-spread the was periodically. These spots of dirt/wax build up do not show up from a distance, but up close they do. Were with powder, all you have to do is take a cotton ball and simply, quickly, polish the card again, and add a you think is needed more powder.

I have all the material, but have never done a complete deck, as I just don't want to spoil an expensive deck of cards.

Stevens Magic sells a thin fanning deck that is pre-waxed. The properties are very different, and react different to room temperature. Thus, you would have to learn all over again the technique of fanning a waxed deck.

I would think that after all these years, some would find the new automobile waxes to be more effective.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Bill, thank you for the tips, but I'm left wondering about the spoon method of smoothing out the edges. Do you rub the edge of the spoon along the sides of the squared deck?

I'm not a fan of the wax method. I ruined a good Tannen's fanning deck many years ago by rubbing a candlestick on the fronts and backs. It fanned great but the wax film on it wasn't right.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Leo, I just re-read your comment that the Tannen deck you treated with wax "fanned great but the wax film on it wasn't right." Can you clarify what you mean by "the wax film on it wasn't right"? Did the Tannen deck A) fan in clumps, B) have dull colors because of the wax, or C) did rhe wax warp the cards or damage them in some way?

I just took out an Abbott Zinab deck that I treated with wax and which I hadn't used in several months--and yes, it fanned in clumps--until I riffled the ends a few times and then it fanned fine--even with the one-hand fan you see at the beginning of this clip:
The Zinab deck has to fan perfectly in order for the "blank on both sides" one hand fan to work--especially with the method that I used in the above clip.

I should point out that one of the reasons that the one-hand fan in that video clip worked so well in showing the fan blank on both sides is that I added a few extra cards from another Zinab deck to it, which I explained in my instructional video, Those extra cards would not be necessary with any other fanning deck because the blank-both-sides feature is pretty much exclusive to the Zinab deck.
Note: Adding extra fans to a fanning deck is a tip that Lewis Ganson gave in the "Crazy Fans" chapter of _Routined Manipulations, Part I_. A double fan just looks better with a deck with a few extra cards in both the top and the bottom half.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sonny~!

My computer "died" about ten days ago. I got a new one. It has WINDOWS 10. I couldn't recall my password, so, now I have a NEW EMAIL ADDRESS.

I'll either PM you or email it to you.

O
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Marvel X-Men Fanning Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL