The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Marvel X-Men Fanning Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, Leo H wrote:
Bill, thank you for the tips, but I'm left wondering about the spoon method of smoothing out the edges. Do you rub the edge of the spoon along the sides of the squared deck?

I'm not a fan of the wax method. I ruined a good Tannen's fanning deck many years ago by rubbing a candlestick on the fronts and backs. It fanned great but the wax film on it wasn't right.

The spoon is used if your playing cards have an edge sticking up do the stamping/cutting process. The Christian decks from Europe have this edge on them. Many other decks do not, but the very cheap decks do. The card is laid face up and the bowl of the spoon is ran around the edge perimeter, to smooth and flatten the sharp little edge sticking up.

Fan the deck in the hands, then lightly run you finger of the face of the cards, if you feel a sharp edge at the edges, then it needs work.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2015, Anatole wrote:
Leo, I just re-read your comment that the Tannen deck you treated with wax "fanned great but the wax film on it wasn't right." Can you clarify what you mean by "the wax film on it wasn't right"? Did the Tannen deck A) fan in clumps, B) have dull colors because of the wax, or C) did rhe wax warp the cards or damage them in some wax?----- Sonny

No damage Sonny. All that wax I rubbed on the cards just made them feel thick and gooey. The deck fanned very well but I just didn't like the way the cards felt in my hands. I'm sticking with fanning powder. By the way Sonny, speaking of the Tannens fanning deck, do you have both the blue and red decks?

Thanks for clarification of the spoon tip Bill. Now I understand what you meant by rubbing the spoon on the deck.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I had both the blue and red Tannen decks at one time, Leo, but I'm not sure where they are right now. I may even have given them away.
I experimented with using 26 cards from each deck to make a deck that had a little more contrast--especially for a color-chaning fan flourish.

I always preferred the Cardini, the Cossari, the Zinab or the Unique Studios deck over the Tannen deck. I just thought the contrast was better.

As I pointed out in a previous post a few years ago, the Tannen decks and the Cossari deck took some design ideas from the Cardini Peau Doux deck.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/uploa......ones.jpg

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I combined the Tannen's Red and Blue deck, 26 cards from each deck in alternating order. When you fan it, it looks like a bag of Skittles.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Marvel X-Men Fanning Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL