The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What DVD should I buy? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lfortressl
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of lfortressl
Ive been learning slight of hand with cards for about a year.During this time I mostly watched youtube videos.So my question is which dvd should I buy.I prefer something like a course from begginer to advanced card handling.

Thank You for reading this and sorry for my bad english (not my native language)
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Never heard of my "Best Ever" 4-volume DVD set, right? Go to harryloraynemagic.com and click on Magic DVDs and learn about them.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Oh, you can see me perform some of the items from that set if you go to www.youtube.com/harrylorayneonvideo .

lfortressl
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of lfortressl
Friend of mine have them he is satisfied but he is better than me and ive seen some of the things and find some of them quite difficult and also there are a lot of tricks I would like a DVD with more slights and less tricks .. Thank You anyway.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good thinking!

Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Take a look at Essential Card Moves at bigblindmedia they have some great self working too that is nice.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Harry's Best Ever 4-DVD set is excellent. I would recommend that you include Card College as well. It will assist n developing fundamental skills while the Best Ever set will give you a lifetime of magic.

Hudson
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Ifortressl
A living legend has given you advice when you asked for it. I am not telling you what to do, but when a true master of the art speaks, it may be wise to listen.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Daryl has a great 8 DVD SET. ENC OF CARD SLEIGHTS
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
BBM has"The ULTIMATE Learn Card Magic Box Set!" For £65. Really a great box that will get you started
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Since I don't own the suggested Lorayne "Best Ever" DVD, I can only suggest what I have already studied.
Of the two which I have, (Paul Wilson's Royal Road to Card Magic & Giobbi's Card College), I feel RRTCM is the better instructional card DVD. BUT Card College is also well done.

Good Luck and Have Fun
Ihor
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Just to copy what I wrote in another thread:

The various routes seem to be:

A) RRTCM plus ECT, and probably the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, maybe with either Wilson's 5 disc RR DVD set or Hunter's 4 disc set

B) Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book plus Close Up Card Magic (or Classic Collection vol1)

C) Giobbi's Card College vol 1 and 2 (and possibly 3-5), with the Card College 1&2 DVD set

D) Gerry Griffin's Complete Card Course (either 4 or 7 disc DVD set)

E) Wilson's Complete Magic Course

F) Ammar's ETMCM DVD series

Each route has its advocates and it's own peculiarities, style and strengths. Having not worked through them all I cannot say much in terms of a comparison, but my non-expert impressions on those I do own:

Card college is easy to read, precise, modern and thorough. The DVD set is expensive, doesn't exactly match the books, and I'm not a big fan of Giobbi's performing style. But it does add a visual teaching element to the books. He doesn't really cover trick decks, gaffs, or much 'standing' stuff. I didn't like many of the tricks as written.

Gerry Griffin's DVD set is cheap for the amount of content. The teaching is clear, but Gerry's style is very corny and the crediting is terrible. There is a superb range of tricks, IMHO - many classic gems of a range of beginner to intermediate ability ranges. No book companion.

Royal Road etc - I have only the books, not the DVDs, so I cant comment on the video side. The books are classic, but are written in a dated style. Loads of good stuff, ranging from beginning stuff to hard stuff, and covering some gaffs as well as SOH. But not, Imho, particularly organised (in comparison to CC, say). I found these hard to work from because of the style, but many people have no trouble with it. Very cheap and easy to get hold of. Something I found useful with these was to use them as 'secondary reading' with CC - following the CC 'syllabus' and double checking the descriptions, tips and tricks in the RR, ECT etc to try and get the best of both worlds.

Wilson's big tome is a general magic book covering a lot more than card magic. Easy to read, and covers various gaffs as well as some SOH. Mostly very simple stuff, though some great tricks all the same. Nice to have as a reference, but you'll want to go beyond this stuff if you want to become an intermediate or advanced card worker, IMHO.

Well, that's my limited perspective, and I'm afraid it's not worth a great deal, so take it as it is.
lfortressl
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of lfortressl
I would like to ask what does ECT means?
pmarzionna
View Profile
New user
Washington, DC
81 Posts

Profile of pmarzionna
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2015, lfortressl wrote:
I would like to ask what does ECT means?

Expert Card Technique

I believe you have enough information in the answers above to make your decision on what to buy. If I may give you just a small piece of advice, don't buy a lot of things at once. No matter if you're starting with a DVD or a book, explore your first acquired material throuoghly before starting buying more and more stuff. I wouldn't say "master" all the material on the book or DVD, given that most of the suggested books and DVDs here have enough content for you to spend some years until mastering it, but at least get to know well the book or DVD that you choose, so you can know what you've liked about it and what you haven't liked. This will help you a lot in order to define your future buying list.

I've learnt it the hard way, buying too much stuff in the beginning, instead of focusing on a few good quality sources as the ones suggested above.
GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
Great summary Terrible Wizard!

I went the RRTCM and Wilson DVD route and thoroughly enjoyed it. You csn by RRTCM as an ebook for $3 or sp on Amazon. I will be purchasing Harry Loraynes Magic Book for a very smart 10 year old very soon as well, and I've heard nothing but great reviews for that.

GreenKnight
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of 0045
When my interest in card magic was re-ignited I too went with RRTCM (The book)and have never regretted it. However I interspersed it with an occasional purchase of Mr Ammars Easy To Master Card Tricks dvd's.

As a youngster whilst living in Germany (Dad was in the Army) I borrowed and was first inspired by, books by Mr Lorayne from the British Military library in Dusseldorf. It took many years to really appreciate the contents of these books and I have since added whatever I could afford to my library, including his best ever dvd series.

Strange how we come across these things and don't realise the value until much later in life.

Regards

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What DVD should I buy? (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL