The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » A question on magic books from the 40s (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
Hi there. Some time ago I was given a large collection of magic books and apparatus from a deceased magician. I have been sorting through it as time allows. Amongst the books/booklets there are a very large number which are spiral bound - and I suspect are actually (illegal) photocopies. I am planning to destroy these, but mixed amongst them are some genuine books - and also some about which I am not sure.

So here's the question. Does anyone know if Abbotts were using spiral binding on smaller books in the 40s-60s which is I think the likely age of some of these books. For example, I am looking at a copy of Eddie Joseph's 'Coin and Money Magic' which doesn't look to be a photocopy, but it is spiral bound. Any information on this would be helpful as I work through the collection.

Thanks.
http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk

It's not what you do but the way that you do it!
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
Also, were the New York Magic Symposium books ever spiral bound?

On a slightly different note, does anyone know about Card Script - which appears to be a handwritten book by Roy Walton, published by Davenports in 1973/5.

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Growing up in the '40s, I don't remember ANY spiral bound books!

Most of the "short" (5-10 pages) booklets were mimeographed, stapled, on 8!/2" x 11" stock, with cardboard "covers". Ireland, Abbott. et al used mimeograph for economic reasons.

Percy Abbott published his own magazine ("TOPS"). I remember the press and linotype in the basement. He did PRINT some booklets. I remember Eddie Joseph's "How To Pick Pockets". It was "saddle stitched" (stapled).

I don't remember ANY photocopies in the '40s. I believe that process began in the '50s, or even later. (I remember "thermo" copies. It didn't last long.

Does Joseph's "Coin and Money Magic" show who published it? Abbott's sold a loy of Eddie's stuff, but, I don't remember that one.

The late Jay Marshall and/or the late Bob Lund could have told you much more.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
THanks Dick. That's really helpful. Several hours later, having gone through both boxes (!) - I've come to the conclusion that almost all of it was photocopied and so I will be destroying it. A small number of originals were present, and some which look to have been spiral bound later in order to replace damaged spines.

One thing that did turn up was a number of old Walton booklets: Cardboard Charades, Card Script (not typeset - but in script!), Trigger, That Certain Something, Some Late Extra Card Tricks. All in fair condition for age - some notes/underlining and a couple of repaired spines, but good to read and use. Any one have any idea of the current value?

Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hi,

I have Joseph's _Coin and Money Magic_. It is nicely printed and saddle-stitched. The front cover, the title page and the copyright page all show the publisher as Abbott's Magic Mfg. Co. The copyright date is 1942, but I bought it around 1996.

Hope that helps,

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2015, philipsw wrote:
Also, were the New York Magic Symposium books ever spiral bound?

On a slightly different note, does anyone know about Card Script - which appears to be a handwritten book by Roy Walton, published by Davenports in 1973/5.

The Symposium books were all published in hardbound volumes, and never republished in any format. Card Script was eventually included in The Complete Walton.
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
Thanks all. Very helpful. That's eliminated a couple that I was unsure about!

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There is a difference between a book that is "spiral bound" and a book that is "comb bound."
A comb bound copy of the Eddie Joseph _Coin and Money Magic_ book is listed now on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coin-and-Money-M......17abdd9d
and the photo clearly shows that it is comb-bound..

I have known a few magicians who take a paper-bound book to a printer to have it re-bound with a comb-binding because they prefer a book that will open flat so that they can conveniently read the text while holding cards, coins, etc while reading the instructions for a trick. It devalues the collectibility of the book, of course, but the original purpose for most books was reading, not collecting.

Hopefully no one would ever take a Gutenberg Bible to a printer to have it re-bound with a comb-binding... (he said facetiously).

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5955 Posts

Profile of motown
I don't know how far back comb binding goes, but I do know Abbott's sold books done that way.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1118 Posts

Profile of Jerry
If it is Karl Fulves anything, please don't destroy, those had comb binding.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » A question on magic books from the 40s (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL